PDA

View Full Version : Can I back Up My Sat Positions.

aabs
18-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Hey Guys,

I have done channel back ups in the past but my rotor settings have gone back to USUALS with this method and it takes me ages to trim all the sats back in again with USUALS switched off and its a nightmere every time I wanna upgrade my image as I aint using BA.

Is there a reliable way to back up my channel data with the sat positions without USUALS or am I asking to much ??

tiesto
22-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Same problem / question here m8 thats why i've B U M P E D the thread.

Any help 800 gurus :respect-055:

therazz
22-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I am also interested in knowing this and have searched the net without answer

maddy
22-01-2009, 08:49 PM
You can use Dreamboxedit or control center v 242

yorike
23-01-2009, 06:36 PM
use Dreamset which easy to use and better then dreamedit

harshy
23-01-2009, 08:58 PM
settings.xml is the one that stores the sat positions I think, however if you write it back using dreamedit, the file you sent back gets overwritten by the image, only way I could do it was to tune one satellite of channels in, upload the original settings.xml file again and then pull the power out for 30 secs, surely there's a better way then this, remember to back up your files using dreamedit!!!

DeepDiver
24-01-2009, 06:24 AM
You can also use the backup/restore plugin included by default in all the images. Select to backup enigma2 and netwrok, select your location, and the plugin will create a tar.gz archive with your settings.
When you install a new image, skip the setup W_izard, open the plugin, select the same location, select restore option, select the archive. It will be automatically installed and enigma2 will be restarted.

aabs
24-01-2009, 02:06 PM
I will give this a go deepdiver, many thanks. Ive tried the dreambox edit and dreamset route and they do save channel lists okay but not positions.

I just hope this works for me as i really makes upgrading my image a nightmere when having to find the satellites again as USUALS just dont find them for me.

trying to use backup function to my usb drive but getting error usb not found. Im not using BA and when i plug in USB DB says no playable media so it looks like it is seeing it.

Any idea on how to mount my UDB stick so i can do the back up?

harshy
25-01-2009, 03:09 AM
it does save positions, however once you have restored it, you have to upload your backed up settings.xml again then pull the power out for 30 secs and then back on, personally I don't think I'll be changing images too often unless its significent.

DeepDiver
25-01-2009, 10:11 AM
it does save positions, however once you have restored it, you have to upload your backed up settings.xml again then pull the power out for 30 secs and then back on, personally I don't think I'll be changing images too often unless its significent.

You can modify the plugin to backup also the satellites.xml file :D and then it will always be restored :D

I would not suggest to power off the box to apply changes...rather do a hard restart from the shutdown menu.

aabs
25-01-2009, 11:14 AM
You can modify the plugin to backup also the satellites.xml file :D and then it will always be restored :D

I would not suggest to power off the box to apply changes...rather do a hard restart from the shutdown menu.

How do I modify the backup function to do this?

harshy
25-01-2009, 04:42 PM

thats the problem though you restart and it overwrites settings.xml which has all the sat positions.

angusc
31-01-2009, 01:45 PM
How do I modify the backup function to do this?

AABS,

I used the back up function and then extracted the contents using RAR. The Settings file is already contained with in the back up data, there does not seem to be any need to "modify the pluggin" that I can see. The Settings file contained all my satellite positions.

The back up routine backs up everything inside the "\etc\enigma2" folder.

aabs
06-02-2009, 11:36 PM
AABS,

I used the back up function and then extracted the contents using RAR. The Settings file is already contained with in the back up data, there does not seem to be any need to "modify the pluggin" that I can see. The Settings file contained all my satellite positions.

The back up routine backs up everything inside the "\etc\enigma2" folder.

If what you say is correct then I should be able to FTP etc\enigma2 to PC and then back to DM800 once new image loaded.

Will this work ??

jonc
08-02-2009, 05:18 AM
dreamedit does it fine (the latest version with the enigma2 setting set) well it has here so far on both the motek and the 3.m C/Ku move dish I use here.

There is a real example for the 800 on this wiki page I wrote on the Pli-Images web site ;

http://www.pli-images.org/modules/wiki/index.php?wakka=channel

Cheers

Jon
Part of the Pli team.

aabs
08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Used dreamedit in the past and it reloaded my channel list ok but my sat positions were gone.
This is the point of my thread im holding off another firmware upgrade as finding the sats again is a nightmere.

I know the reason for this is my mount is over 10 yers old now and not as square as it once was and Stabs will get me 1 west to 4.8 east okay but then totally miss the clark belt from that point. So then I have to manually mess about to just hit either end of west and east and then the ones in the middle are okay.

When the summer comes its time for a new mount but its to cold to get up a ladder now.

harshy
08-02-2009, 06:57 PM
all your sat positions are in a file called settings, if you look closely you will see all your sat positions in there!

However if you are getting the thing replaced, you're better off waiting IMHO.

angusc
12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
thats the problem though you restart and it overwrites settings.xml which has all the sat positions.

Harshy is correct that everytime you restart the DM800 your original settings file will be overwritten by the Dreambox 800 default file and therefore you loose your motor positions.

However there must be a way to do this as many guys post up their satellite motor settings and others download them and install without the DM800 over rwriting these settings.....?

Did anyone find out a way to do it?

aabs
12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Harshy is correct that everytime you restart the DM800 your original settings file will be overwritten by the Dreambox 800 default file and therefore you loose your motor positions.

However there must be a way to do this as many guys post up their satellite motor settings and others download them and install without the DM800 over rwriting these settings.....?

Did anyone find out a way to do it?

Yeah they do, I also upload 90cm NW UK rotor but that uses stabs which makes it universal to the users.
The problem is that its difficult to get a good stable signal of all the birds with stabs. Any bracket not dead plumb will take you off the clark belt in one direction.