22-01-2009, 01:33 PM
The match is currently on BBC2.

holmroad
22-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Yes it was on Eurosport and BBC1 red button - Andy won!!:respect-050:

Aldo
22-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes it was on Eurosport and BBC1 red button - Andy won!!:respect-050:

Quite an easy victory for Andy, his next scheduled opponent is Melzer, and Andy's record against him is 3 - 0, so hopefully another victory is on the cards.

keith mawer
22-01-2009, 08:33 PM
bb2 !!!!! i think ,, i think there commentary has the edge over eurosport,,,

Prontopro
22-01-2009, 09:09 PM
It'll be strange to have a Scottish winner of the Australian Open.

Hope he does it though. I much prefer him to Henman who I never really cared for.

It would be nice to have some good news for a change.

Aldo
22-01-2009, 10:26 PM
"It'll be strange to have a Scottish winner of the Australian Open."

If Andy Murray does win The Australian Open, he will be the first British player to win a Grand Slam Title since Fred Perry in 1937

holmroad
22-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Yes - what an achievement it would be - but lets take each match as it comes and not tempt providence TOO much!!:bravo-009::respect-040:

Aldo
23-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I'd dearly love to see Andy Murray win the Aussie Open, just so that he can silence, Djokovic the defending champion and Federer 2nd seed, for having a go at the people who have made Murray favourite for the title, but as Murray has said "They say there's pressure on them, but by saying they're favourites, they are putting the pressure on themselves.

grumpyy
23-01-2009, 02:06 AM
"It'll be strange to have a Scottish winner of the Australian Open."

If Andy Murray does win The Australian Open, he will be the first British player to win a Grand Slam Title since Fred Perry in 1937

Scotland came close in 1938.............sort of. :D

Don Budge was the first player to do the Grand Slam proper in a single year - His father was a former Rangers reserves player who had emigrated from Scotland to America.

(you can say something similar about virtually all of America back then - I know lol)

http://www.tennisplayer.net/public/champions/Ed_Atkinson_Don_Budge_sampleartic le.html

There's no hurry over Murray, anticipation here always tends to get a ahead of itself, if he wins in Australia - good, if not his time is going to come.

bonovox
23-01-2009, 02:37 AM
I'd dearly love to see Andy Murray win the Aussie Open, just so that he can silence, Djokovic the defending champion and Federer 2nd seed, for having a go at the people who have made Murray favourite for the title, but as Murray has said "They say there's pressure on them, but by saying they're favourites, they are putting the pressure on themselves.

Nothing against Murray but I kinda get what Federer was on about the other day. Everytime Federer talks to the press they have to ask him about Murray and if he's gonna win a major and this and that. No wonder Federer said what he did. If some fuc#ing press man kept asking me the same questions about other players I'd get sick of it. Having said that Murrays playing really well and has a great chance. Definetly a Semi again and then we'll see if he can beat Nadal again!

bonovox
23-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Scotland came close in 1938.............sort of. :D

For a minute there I mis-read your post. I thought it was Scotland came close in 1978 and I was just about to say yeah with Allys Army. Pity Peru thrashed them........ ahhhh the memories hehehe

grumpyy
23-01-2009, 02:50 AM
My underlying point was that nationality is all very tenuous, given time lol

But there you go :D

Fascinating guy this Budge. After winning the Grand slam he retired as an amateur and went pro as Perry had just done.

He made his professional debut at Madison Square Garden in New York early in 1939 and, before a crowd of 16,725, defeated Ellsworth Vines, 6-3, 6-4, 6-2. On tour, Budge defeated Vines, 21 matches to 18, and also defeated Perry, 18-11.

_http://www.tennisfame.com/famer.aspx?pgID=867&hof_id=64

xanadu
23-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Bring back Tiger Tim !! :respect-040:

At least he smiles !!

applematt
23-01-2009, 03:35 AM
FEDERER will win AUSSIE OPEN 09

bonovox
23-01-2009, 04:28 AM
FEDERER will win AUSSIE OPEN 09

I agree m8, winning the majors is sooooo different from winning the minor tournaments. Federer hammered Murray in the US Open Final. I think it maybe a Federer v Nadal final unless Murray can beat Nadal again. The trouble with the Aussie Open is the bloody final is always on early sunday morning and I can't be bothered to wake up for it.

crabber
23-01-2009, 04:42 AM
What are you guys doing up so late? At least I have an excuse, I am in WA where it is lunch time!
How many feel sympathy for Australia? no men left in their own competition, Hewitt out in the first round.

bonovox
23-01-2009, 04:44 AM
Yeah don't much like Hewitt anyway. The Aussies are struggling at Tennis, there Cricket team is on a downward path as they have just lost Test Series to India and South Africa.....so its not all doom and gloom in the UK then hehehe:smilielol5:

dez
23-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Hi Guys

Andy is a very hard working sportsman and he deserves all that he wins

satwyn
23-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi Guys

Andy is a very hard working sportsman and he deserves all that he winsnot really bothered about tennis but hope murray beats all those wingers claiming to be n01 and claiming murray should not be top seed hope they have to eat their words

holmroad
23-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Hope he wipes that snide smile off Jokovic's face!:respect-050:

Aldo
23-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Hope he wipes that snide smile off Jokovic's face!:respect-050:

You've just echoed my thoughts M8, I think that Djokovic feels that as defending champion he should be getting more of the media coverage than he is at the moment, and with Andy being on a good run at this time, having beaten Federer and Nadal recently, it's hardly surprising that the media and some of the people who know tennis better than we do are making Andy favourite, and that the pressure is on the top 3 seeds to justify their ranking, and it would appear that those guys don't like sharing the limelight, so come on Andy let's kick some Ass.

keith mawer
23-01-2009, 11:55 AM
some info murray v melzer is on sat at 1930 hrs aussi time..
i think!! thats 830am or 930 am uk saturday morning but will be on bbc./eurosport for sure,

applematt
23-01-2009, 12:28 PM
What are you guys doing up so late? At least I have an excuse, I am in WA where it is lunch time!
How many feel sympathy for Australia? no men left in their own competition, Hewitt out in the first round.

Dont have nagging wife around ? :D

Gran Slams are tough - You need to win 7 games to get to the final some slog __ IN the US Open Murray amazing made it to the final but was knackered. He know knows to Pace himself im sure -- But he still needs get past Rodger.

Rodger needs 2 more Gran SLams to get past the Man!

holmroad
23-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Applematt - thort you in WA - yet your location says 'IBIFFA'- so WHERE!! lol!!!:respect-050::respect-050:

Aldo
23-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Applematt - thort you in WA - yet your location says 'IBIFFA'- so WHERE!! lol!!!:respect-050::respect-050:

Hi M8

I think it is crabber who is in WA, see post #18, I would also like to know where IBIFFA is.

applematt
23-01-2009, 11:52 PM
IBiffa is what young lads say when they offf there heads in Ibiza!

Im on the south coast of UK in Brighton :D