PDA

View Full Version : 9100 to replace a Humax 5400 ??

fusion1296
31-01-2009, 05:21 PM
hi All,
i have a Humax 5400 at the moment and all i can get on it is digitv with my motorized dish (28E - 1W ) if i got a 9100 and loaded the Andromedia Image on it ( into flash whatever that means , got lots to learn ) , would i be able to watch anything more than i do now ??
do you load the image then the EMU ?? then the keys ?? and with an internet connection do the keys update from somewhere all by themselves ?

been reading the forum for a few weeks now but as you can tell still very confused , is there a step by step guide anywhere for beginners

thanks

echelon
31-01-2009, 05:31 PM
although its not up to date there are guides above this thread of yours

keys are updated either through plugins like hacksat 9a that download them from the net , or ftp the softcam or pack into var/keys etc

very little is open apart from digi tv so I would say no , you wont get more than on the hummy using just patches

images are the starter which in your case you appear to have decided to put into the flash chip of the tm9100 ( so you have flashed it ), emus run the show by decoding the encryptions , but they also need the keys , and the keys are rarely au in my experience , but the digi tv key hasnt changed for weeks

with andromeda I think you may struggle adding emus but it has probably got one built in for starters although edg v4.4 may be better unless you wish to use an sd card with a boot flash image like I do

read this as it may help https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95841

Gone_Fishing
31-01-2009, 05:59 PM
I went from Humax 5400 to 9100 and don't regret it one bit, its a total different kettle of fish to the 5400

I agree with echelon EDG is a better image to start with as you can setup everything by downloading all you need from within the image itself

Its a lot harder to understand how they work when you don't have one so not surprised your confused :)

TNT

fusion1296
31-01-2009, 09:32 PM
hi ,
big thanks to you both for your quick and detailed replies , it sounds a lot more complicated then my hummy but it will be a fun ( i think ) but i am also thinking that if all i can watch is what i already have then maybe its not worth it ?
am i right in saying that when connected to the net it has an ability to , how shall i say this , share things , i assume you instal a program that then goes off to the net somewhere and shares the resources available that others have provided and the 9100 works as if i had a card in my box ?
hope i can say what i have ?

thanks

Gone_Fishing
31-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes it does what you are referring to and it does it very well :flowers-007:

Plus you can browse and stream avi's etc from your pc to 9100 and vice versa plus lots of other things your 5400 cant

I wouldn't say its complicated its just unfamiliar to you once you've had it a while your soon get the hang of it plus theres plenty of people who can help now

TNT

echelon
31-01-2009, 09:52 PM
it was complicated when we all started , still is to a point , have a read of my thread in here to see the hoops I went through in the last week

but the help is here if you need it with some excellent peeps who know about this on other linux boxes like the dreamboxes , so you will always have someone replying

as mentioned above , its the extras that make this box worthwhile , not necessarily the patches , although they do work for the most part , like digi tv for example

the only thing against these boxes is they are not HD and so maybe you should consider HD ones , but if you arent bothered about HD yet , or dont have that kind of money to spend , then these are worth learning on

I run the dual boot dsteam flash myself and have images on a 1 gig sd card , and run dreambox nabilo at the moment on more than one box ;)

tr8.
01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
the only thing against these boxes is they are not HD and so maybe you should consider HD

I would agree i have been looking now for 4-6 months to move from my 9100 to a hd based linus receiver and still dont thinks they are right or silly money.
The TM 9100 is at a great price for what it can do, so if you are prepared to use it to learn on then sell at a bit of a loss when HD options get better may be worth the try.

PS i currently back to UR14 in flash and had been very stable for me.

fusion1296
01-02-2009, 10:28 AM
hi all ,
big thanks again for your replies , i have been a member here for a long time and its just so good that people are willing to help beginners like me, thanks .
i am going to get one , so i hope you are all ready for my questions ??!!!
thanks again !

echelon
02-02-2009, 02:12 PM
there is a new UR18 image out that you may want to look at if you intend to put an image into your flash

tr8.
02-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the info, there ur images have been getting better and better, will give it a try, all i need now is some more snow to trap me at home!!