PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive not recognised

Magwitch
08-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I've added a DVD drive (Samsung SN-S083A/BEBE) to my DB8000, but it shows no sign of life. My image is Nabilosat BH 07.

I made sure the eSATA/USB connector was pushed in correctly, as reports suggest this is not always firmly plugged in.

The USB stick LED flashes once, supposedly confirming that is OK.

There's no activity on the front of the DVD drive - no LED, drawer doesn't open.

I removed the SATA cable going to the hard drive and connected a SATA cable from the SATA terminal on the motherboard to the DVD drive and rebooted to see if it would be recognised, but no luck there. I also tried connecting the eSATA/USB cable to a USB port on my PC, and also to a Linux notebook USB port, with the same negative result.

Do I need to mount the DVD drive? I thought this was done automatically.

Maybe I just have a duff DVD drive?

Regards, Magwitch

Magwitch
08-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Just realised I need a special combination SATA/Power lead for a slimline DVD drive. If anyone uses this kind of drive, may I ask where I can buy one?

Regards, Magwitch.

Gerry55
08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Magwitch
The Sata/power cable should have been installed when you received your 8000 mine was.

Gerry55
08-02-2009, 06:08 PM
Also try a different image my Samsung SN-S083A wouldn't work with the first Pli image but the later one is OK

Magwitch
08-02-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys. The cable provided has a Molex power connector which is not suitable for my drive. Mine has a 7pin+6pin mini SATA/Power arrangement.

After a lot of time spent hunting down a suitable seller, only two were found - one based in Hong Kong, and one in the UK. I've now ordered one from the UK supplier, hopefully it will be the one I need.

Regards, Magwitch

Zipper
08-02-2009, 08:21 PM
You should have received this in the packaging as they say "Scope of delivery" complain to DMM via there "Ticket" system here: http://tickets.dream-multimedia-tv.de/otrs/customer.pl click create account and start a ticket!.:respect-049:

Regards.

Magwitch
08-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Zipper, isn't the ticket system only for beta testers?

Magwitch

Zipper
08-02-2009, 09:39 PM
No not as far as i know its just a dedicated customer service system, and in any case it worked for me and i wasn't a beta tester.:respect-applause-00

Regards.

fatbloke
08-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I am also having trouble with this drive.. it dosn't matter which image I use as soon as I try playing a DVD the dreambox locks up.
When I first used the PLI image everything was ok but not now.:beatdeadhorse5:

You won't believe me guys.. the disk I was testing had a deep gouge in it.
The Samsung SN-S083A is now working with dvd's and audio cd's as it should.

Magwitch
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I am also having trouble with this drive.. it dosn't matter which image I use as soon as I try playing a DVD the dreambox locks up.
When I first used the PLI image everything was ok but not now.:beatdeadhorse5:

You won't believe me guys.. the disk I was testing had a deep gouge in it.
The Samsung SN-S083A is now working with dvd's and audio cd's as it should.

Hi fatbloke

Did the correct cable come with your box or with the DVD drive?

As I said, my cable had the wrong power connector for that drive.

Magwitch

Magwitch
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
You should have received this in the packaging as they say "Scope of delivery" complain to DMM via there "Ticket" system here: http://tickets.dream-multimedia-tv.de/otrs/customer.pl click create account and start a ticket!.:respect-049:

Regards.

So they should have provided cables for all variants of DVD drive connections?

This is what I needed -

http://www.atechfabrication.com/images/htpc/products/2500_DG45FC%20025-320.jpg

Magwitch

fatbloke
09-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Hi fatbloke

Did the correct cable come with your box or with the DVD drive?

As I said, my cable had the wrong power connector for that drive.

Magwitch

Yes I had the cable adapter come with the Dreambox
the one you have shown in your post is the wrong one.
BR,
fATS

Magwitch
09-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Cheers, the one I had must have come with different batch of boxes.

Magwitch

fatbloke
09-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry m8 I have just looked again at your photo and the one I got was very similar but had 2 power connectors..one plugs into the motherboard and the smaller power cable goes into the DVD drive ..the sata cable for the DVD drive came from the rear of the front usb port.
BR,
fATS

Sorry m8.

Magwitch
09-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Yes fATS, the one you have will be the same as the one that came with my box. When the one I've ordered comes it will supposedly just plug into that one - hopefully the new SATA and power leads will be sockets fo fit onto the existing cable's plugs.

Magwitch

Edit - Following your PM, I am now up to speed regarding the connections using the slimline adaptor (retrieved from the packaging!)

Many thanks, Magwitch.