PDA

View Full Version : flashing by webif - timeout (stop DHCP)

techmob
21-02-2009, 06:38 PM
the only way i have been able to flash my dm800 is by serial cable which takes 1 hour to do an image in flash.

when i hold down the power button on the dm800, plug power in, wait for stop message, it gives me an ip

normally 192.168.2.6, i put this ip in my browser, i have tried IE 7, FF3, chrome, i can get to the upgrade firmware link, which works

i browse to the NFI file, and it sets about uploading my flash image, i get CRC check failed, and from this point there looks like there is no activity

i get a message bottom left hand corner of the browser, transfering data to 192.168.2.6, button right has green progress bar at about half way, and it never goes any further

so i try and ping the ip of the box while the upload is happening, and all 4 ping requests time out

so to me it looks like this is what the problem is, hence why i cannot flash via browser

but i do not know why, as when i am running an already flashed image via serial cable, i can upload gb's apon gb's of data through ftp and i can also have a stable connection through the ethernet port

my router is a belkin N1 F5D8631-4

anyone had this problem before, know a fix for it, or have any ideas on what i can try to overcome it..

btw, i have tried two computers to flash this box with the same problem, but it is going through the same router.

other than trying the box at someone else's house, is there anything i can look at , at my own setup because its a quick easy way of flashing

thanks

keith0509
21-02-2009, 09:29 PM
You could try assigning a static IP to the mac of the DB 800 in your router.
I used to have a similar problem with my 7020 but after setting a static IP no more problems.
Worth a try m8, nothing to lose.

sonic1
21-02-2009, 09:39 PM
When you try and flash the box with web browser remove your USB and unplug HDD.

If that does not work unplug everything except lan cable and power cable.

techmob
21-02-2009, 11:34 PM
keith, i will look into that

sonic, tried that mate...

thanks both

aabs
22-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Cut your router out of the loop.

assign the dreambox a static ip address and apply a static ip address in the same rang to a laptop or pc near dreambox and use a cross over cable. It will at least be a lot faster than a serial cable.

I have had crc timeout in the past but this was only going from BH0.3 to BH0.5. I now some ppl used the pure flash to get around this but uploading bootloader 69 or later solved this easier.

techmob
22-02-2009, 06:04 PM
assigning an ip to the dreambox, i guess i goto network settings and turn off dhcp and then put in an ip?

but pressin down the power button on bootup, wont it automatically turn on dhcp for flashing?

hm2075
22-02-2009, 06:12 PM
with a serial connection force your box to have a static ip address, this is different to the one you have inside the image

http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm800/setup_eng.php
this is also useful for clones

techmob
22-02-2009, 06:38 PM
so i will need to connect with a null modem cable and use hyperterminal to do that?

cheers

canthackit
22-02-2009, 06:50 PM
CRC usually means a corrupt or dodgy file mate, did you download from pimps?

i'd suggest d/l again maybe from a different source (nothing wrong with upload here though) and then try the install, just a matter of interest is it BH v0.8 your trying to load?

regards: canthackit

techmob
22-02-2009, 07:01 PM
doesnt matter, wot image or where i get it from

that error is probably generated from an incomplete upload or something where it loses its connection

techmob
22-02-2009, 11:53 PM
ok, i have managed to change the dm800 ip to a static one at 192.168.2.101

and it still has the same problem with flashing from the browser

hm2075
23-02-2009, 12:22 AM
how bizzare,

either 2 things

one is grounding issues

the other is your flash (chip) has bad sectors, in the olden days the best way to get rid of those was to flash an "erase" image, this image was blank but not blank... i.e all was filled with FF's via hex editor...... this was flashed a couple of times to sort out the problems.

I would speak to dream and tell them about the problem as long as its an original

hm2075
23-02-2009, 12:23 AM
i'm guessing its the flash issue as opposed to a grounding isse

techmob
23-02-2009, 12:45 AM
i can flash fine with dreamup though

there is a recover bad sectors option on dreamup, would that be like flash erase?

dream have taken weeks to reply to me before

techmob
23-02-2009, 01:38 AM
i changed my mtu to 1478 instead of 1400 in my router, and also changed the ethernet port the dm800 was plugged into
used firefox to flash and it finally started flashing but got stuck at 1.95%

looks like i am **** out of luck there

although a slight improvement, before it wouldnt even reach the flash percentage stage, this time it has but now it has probably ruined my flash and i will have to flash with serial to sort it

hm2075
23-02-2009, 10:43 AM
don't go through router, setup your pc lan connection to 192.168.2.104, then try flashing, IMO I don't think it will make much difference

The write process is much slower using serial than web so that is probably making the difference

try the recover bad sectors in dreamup and see what happens

techmob
23-02-2009, 10:50 AM
i have only ever got it to the write process once and it disconnected on 1.95% which as u can see is quickly

all the other times it doesnt even reach it, as if the upload fails, so it is resetting the connection before the 34mb image file is uploaded

the same thing happened when using the dreamup, serial cable with the network ticked, it allowed me to upload the image but then it lost the connection, so it seems whatever i do from the kernel menu (press stop) it just loses the connection

hm2075
23-02-2009, 03:13 PM
tbh i'd give it back to dream, let them deal with it, i assume it's under warranty?

techmob
23-02-2009, 05:25 PM
well i have emailed them but don't expect a quick response they normally take ages..

keith0509
23-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Did you try using a crossover cable?
This will eliminate any problems you might have within your router.

techmob
23-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Did you try using a crossover cable?
This will eliminate any problems you might have within your router.

i havnt got one to try, any a straight one...

i think the next thing to try, will be to try the dreambox at my dads house, where i know his router and setup flashing via browser his dm800

if mine doesnt work there, then i would think that it is a fault with my box!!!

:respect-048:

hm2075
26-02-2009, 01:45 AM
when booting, hold down the power button, then when it says stop, telnet into the box and you should have recover flash option, try that

techmob
26-02-2009, 08:09 PM
just about to try it at a known working network, where i flashed my dads, at his house

i will let you know if it works or not!

i have spoken to dream and they believe for me to get as far as uploading the firmware via the PRESS STOP DHCP webif, they think it must be an issue with my network setup rather than a fault with the box

so if this works here, then i will agree

if it does not work then i think it is the box..

will find out in about 15 mins, i will post back

techmob
26-02-2009, 08:22 PM
IT WORKED!!!!

so it isn't my network

now i need to find out wtf is causing the prob at home

techmob
02-03-2009, 07:12 PM
i have got hold of a cross over cable to use with my laptop to flash the dm800

this bypasses my router and pc, so direct connection from laptop to dm800 will hopefully work

just not sure how to network them as i usually use a router..

canthackit
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
just connect the network cable directly to the lappie and reboot it should recognise the connection and set it up auotmaticaly,.......if not let me think about this it's been a few years since i set one up manualy:leaving:

regards: canthackit

techmob
02-03-2009, 07:56 PM
i am trying to do this so it is less messing for me, so ideally i was going to have a spare cable from my laptop (crossover) and just plug that in to the dm everytime i wanna flash it.

so i tried to setup my connection to match the ones already setup on the dm800, as you have to reboot the dm everytime u adjust the network settings, or in my case thats what i normally have to do

so i set my laptop network card to 192.168.2.1 (this matched the gateway on the laptop) and that was that

i was able to connect directly to the dm ip of 192.168.2.6 from the laptop

as soon as i held down the power button for STOP DHCP, of course this didn't work as there was no DHCP server, so i connected it to my pc, telneted to the dreambox and changed the DHCP to MANUAL and gave it the 192.168.2.6 ip

i then went to connect to flash it, and it was taking ages to connect, i could ping it but the browser wouldn't find it

so i have since put it away and thought to myself, the whole purpose of flashing via ethernet, is for quick and easy use

even if i do get the cross over working on my laptop, it does take some effort to even flash (when everything is working)

so i am going back to the root cause and ideally would like to be able to flash directly from my pc, router and dhcp network, afterall that is what it is designed for

slime
17-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Got same prob = brand new dm800 - can't flash via web interface = just get Page cannot be displayed during upload of pure flash image. Did you manage to sort m8? Any ideas?

Thanks

techmob
17-04-2009, 11:29 AM
nope, never sorted mine

still have the same problem!

works fine on another setup, so don't know whats the problem!

slime
17-04-2009, 02:03 PM
I was having same probs as you until this morning when I realised (that as a new DM800 from factory) I only had SS BL #62 installed. I installed #70 from web interface and then could (finally) flash with a proper Pure Flash image and then to #72 on SS BL (and latest drivers etc.).

techmob
20-04-2009, 12:31 PM
i am using boot version #72 and it still wont work

loveman
20-04-2009, 02:17 PM
just about to try it at a known working network, where i flashed my dads, at his house

i will let you know if it works or not!

i have spoken to dream and they believe for me to get as far as uploading the firmware via the PRESS STOP DHCP webif, they think it must be an issue with my network setup rather than a fault with the box

so if this works here, then i will agree

if it does not work then i think it is the box..

will find out in about 15 mins, i will post back

IT WORKED!!!!

so it isn't my network

now i need to find out wtf is causing the prob at home

OK, so you took your dreambox to your dad's network, where you managed to flash his, and it flashed yours there?! You then tried doing at home at your home network, and it didn't flash it?! So yes, it is a problem with your network. In your router, have you set up dhcp?! If not, then the dm800 will not be assigned an ip address. Have you tried taking your dad's dm800 to yours to see if you can get it to flash his at yours?! If that won't flash at yours, then it is definately your network...

Stev0
20-04-2009, 06:38 PM
if its his network he could have dhcp disabled on his router or his router doesnt support dhcp(highly unlikey). it could also be the network cable. you could try using a cable from pc to dm800 no router see if that works which you would need a crossover cable. hope this helps.

oldfart
20-04-2009, 07:28 PM
see my post here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106154
Had the same issues!

techmob
27-04-2009, 09:31 AM
my router supports DHCP, and assigns an ip to the dreambox so i can enter flash mode

i have also disabled DHCP in the dreambox and assigned a manual ip and tried to flash this way and it still doesn't work

i tried to use a cross over cable with my laptop but gave up on trying to get it to work, didn't reach to the flashing part and i thought to myself i wanna be able to flash it the normal , easy way from my pc

i have even tried using dreamup with the network cable and network settings setup and it fails on flash, only way is to do it without the network cable and only use the serial one which takes 59 mins to flash

i can confirm it is something with the network as the box flashes fine at other places, but my network works fine with loads of devices and is very stable

loveman
27-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Have you tried something simple like plugging it into a different port on the router?!

techmob
27-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Have you tried something simple like plugging it into a different port on the router?!

yes mate...

loveman
27-04-2009, 11:33 AM
OK, something simple, but could've been overlooked :D

When you try flashing the box, does it give you an ip address at that part?! If yes, can you ping the box (go to command prompt, and type "ping 192.168.0.100", where that number is the assigned ip given). Also, try telnetting into the box, it should give you info about the bios...

Let us know how far you get with this. Or do you only get assigned an IP address when the dreambox is running normally, not when in flashing mode?!

Another thing that might be worth a try, is resetting the router to factory default, and then trying it again. Although I stress that you should only do this if you know what you're doing, and you know all the login details for the internet etc

As a side note, what make/model router are you using?!

techmob
27-04-2009, 02:02 PM
hi mate, thanks for trying!

i get an ip from the dreambox when in DHCP STOP MODE, i can then reach the box by going into my browser and typing that ip, i can also telnet to the box and get into the bios of it.

also DHCP works fine when the box is running out of flash mode, and also assigning a static ip to the dreambox works fine with my network, just not in flash mode

my router is a belkin N1 wireless router model number - F5D8631-4

loveman
27-04-2009, 03:35 PM
So what happens when you go to the ip address of the browser when in the dhcp stop mode?! Does it give you the option to flash? If you try that, does it work?

It could be a problem nothing to do with your network at all, and a problem with the computer/internet explorer (I assume you're using IE?)...

Have you tried downloading and installing firefox, and seeing if that allows you to flash the box?

techmob
27-04-2009, 03:37 PM
in DHCP FLASH MODE , i can get to the flash firmware bit, browse to firmware and it starts to upload to the box but then times out, it does it with IE, FF and chrome

Paddy..
27-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Hi techmob.

I have been following this thread with some hope that your problem is solved??

I myself have exactly the same problems as you and have also tried everything I know, the only thing that I do have in common with you is a Belkin router?

No matter what i try using my connection through cat5 it won't work, however if I connect to the DHCP ip using a wireless connection from my laptop, the 800 flashes...every time!

Don't know if you will be able to try using a wireless connection, but I would certainly like to know the outcome......

Good luck mate.

Paddy

techmob
28-04-2009, 10:01 AM
hi mate... which router model have you got?

it could be down to our routers for some reason, if we both have a similar router, although i can't see why this should cause a problem and surely there are other people out there using a belkin router...

ian
28-04-2009, 10:33 AM
maybe you have to open port 80 on that type of router?its usually ok on a LAN,but who knows with this model.
or you could try turning on the default DMZ to the ip of you dreambox.
Do you use mutiboot?
can you send an image over using flash****** pro to your CF HDD or USB?
there is a plugin for E2 that allows testing of the DM's network,you could try that to see what results it gives.

can you telnet?

To telnet, click START > RUN and type Telnet ip.address.of.dreambox A command window will appear, enter username root and password dreambox.

can you FTP?if not heres how to FTP using telnet.

First of all, you need to have a mounted directory from your PC. Make sure you have the image.img file in your mounted directory on your PC. Telnet to the dreambox and paste this command:

cp /hdd/movie/image.img /tmp/image.img

The img will be copied from your mounted directory to the /tmp folder on the dreambox ready to be flashed.

can you flash using telnet?

This method will only work with a .img image file.

Rename the image file to backup.img
FTP the image file to the /tmp folder on the dreambox
Telnet to your box and paste the following command:
cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

can you backup your existing image using telnet?

Telnet to the box and paste the following command:
cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img
FTP to the box and navigate to the /tmp
Here you will find the backup.img file.

if none of the above can be done then the problem is your ports in your router.if you are not familiar with using telnet try the backup command first of all.
ian.

techmob
04-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Hi mate, thanks for that...

i tried the telnet backup and that works, it creates a 60mb backup image file which looks fine to me...

p.s can i simply change the .nfi extension to .img for a flash file so i can do it via telnet, or is that not a suitable way to do it?

also enabling dmz has the same problem

oldfart
04-05-2009, 05:11 PM
This method works (for me)
Connect DM to router - your router must have DHCP enabled - but with a limit, so you can have some fixed address PCs
Switch on - holding bottom button down - note the IP address
Change the network cable from the router to a PC that has a fixed IP on the same network (doesn't have to be a special cable)
type the IP address (of the DM) into the browser - firefox works best!
follow the on-screen instructions