PDA

View Full Version : flash dm 500 via web browser

hechicero
06-03-2009, 11:56 PM
could anyone please post instructions on how to flash dm500 via the web browser?

i have searched for this info withour luck. info for 7020 etc but not 500 which of course has no display.

thanks in advance

sonic1
07-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Not possible m8

hechicero
07-03-2009, 10:16 AM
ah! ok that explains why i could not find the info.

january_king
07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Not strictly what you asked for but this may be of help and only requires LAN FTP access.

Try a Google for 'root cramfs' which should show how to upload an image to the /tmp directory on your Dreambox via FTP, then rename it to root.cramfs. If you go to the setup menu of your Dreambox, select Software Update, then Manual Update, it will re-flash from the new image.

JK

olijack
07-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Just in case anyone else is looking at this and their model is 500+ not standard 500 it is possible if you unplug the power and then when plugging back in you hold down the power button the box will fail to boot and you should have both red and green lights on (not 100% sure if they flash).

Now the hard part is that you need to find out what the IP address of the box is which is trickier without a display. The only way I know of is to log into your router and somewhere in the settings in the router (depends on make and model of router) you should see DHCP clients list your box and it's ip will be listed in there.

Enter the ip in a browser and you should then get the standard dreambox failed to boot screen click on firmware upgrade at the bottom and it will transfer and flash.

When flash has reached 100% you can close browser and unplug the box and plug it back in and there you have your new software ready to go.

I know that you did initially specify a 500 but thought it best just in case you have a 500+ (or someone else reading this thread)

spud
20-03-2009, 10:00 PM
Not strictly what you asked for but this may be of help and only requires LAN FTP access.

Try a Google for 'root cramfs' which should show how to upload an image to the /tmp directory on your Dreambox via FTP, then rename it to root.cramfs. If you go to the setup menu of your Dreambox, select Software Update, then Manual Update, it will re-flash from the new image.

JK

Worked a treat , thanks

january_king
22-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the response - I was looking to do an update today and your/my messages reminded me of the least disruptive way of doing it!!
JK

jeffdmlover
02-08-2009, 02:37 PM

JK

Excellent, many thanks.