PDA

View Full Version : Premium better than Elite??

gtg60
01-04-2009, 06:21 PM
About to go for one of these and because of a lot of misinformation I'm not totally sure which to go for, as far as I can see the only differences are:
1. Space for internal HDD (big deal though as they'll be able to access HDD's from LAN, right?)
2. Wifi (not really interested as I always use my more secure wired network)
3. Slightly better looking (and only slightly, remote is a good bit better looking though)

So, I am missing something or is it going to be worth spending the extra few quid to get a Premium?

Carp95
01-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Well for you it would only be the remote then:king-042:

If WIFI and internal hdd doesn't matter.

Software is the same so hardware is the same too ( yes Elite can hold 2 tuners).

john333
02-04-2009, 02:34 AM
the flash is twice as big on premium regards john

Yoda
02-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Also the Premium has an external PSU, this means the unit runs cooler than the elite.
However I have not seen any heating issues reported for the elite.

Yoda

netgic
02-04-2009, 09:29 AM
the flash is twice as big on premium regards john

No.
Flash ist 8mb big on Elite AND Premium.

gtg60
02-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Also, has anyone tried recording accross a network to a HDD, does it work well?

Yoda
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the replies so far.
Hmm, the bigger flash I didn't know about, would that really make a difference?

Also, has anyone tried recording accross a network to a HDD, does it work well?

Nope, not tried.

But I have tried steaming 1080P movies across a 100mbit network from my NAS and the result was fantastic.

Works 100%

Yoda

pr2
02-04-2009, 10:02 AM
Hello,

For a full description of the differences Elite/Premium see Here (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?p=610800#post61080 0).

Pr2

Tarzan
02-04-2009, 10:25 AM
Nope, not tried.

But I have tried steaming 1080P movies across a 100mbit network from my NAS and the result was fantastic.

Works 100%

Yoda

Recording over network works fine for SD broadcasts... Check the thread I started "Permission Denied" on how to do it...

When recording HD, the receiver becomes unresponsive for a short time when the recording is being stopped...

Also playback is choppy for HD recordings with pixalizations and the picture is a bit dull...

I tried to playback a 1080p file and it was very very jerky and no sound...

"Wallace.And.Gromit.A.Matter.Of.Lo af.And.Death.1080p.HDTV.x264-PerfectionHD"

I am using a wired connection btw...

tinos
02-04-2009, 11:38 AM
What firmware are you using?

Maybe a way to record HD is to use different protocol to SMB. On Popcorn Hour playback was better on NFS (until they optimized SMB) also on Dreambox NFS seemed to work for SD recording. Maybe we could test NFS on AzBox to record HD channels. If you look for NFS servers that worked on Dreambox they might work Ok on AzBox too.

Also use Mediainfo to post file codecs to check for bitrate and so of the file that you are using. Maybe bitrate is too high? or using Level 5 (On Popcorn it use to be a problem as Sigma supports Level 4). Check this info:
h**p://www.aroundmyroom.com/tag/h264/

gtg60
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Wow, some great info there :king-042:

So, suppose I did decide on a Premium with internal HDD, could I access the recordings off that drive from another PC or STB?
(My dream set up is to have access to all recordings from each STB/ PC, that's why I like the idea of recrding to a NAS).

tinos
02-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes. You can access other network drives with SMB... probably also with NFS. I use a ReadyNAS Duo and I can browse all files on it. If you get Premium then you can also share the internal drive and act as SMB server. Using tarzan's trick with one USB stick you can also record to network, but probably on future releases all that will improve. On Popcorn it worked pretty good and it is almost same Sigma chipset.