PDA

View Full Version : new usb stick question

echelon
02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
I have oozoon running in the flash and want to change to a new (ish) 4 gig usb stick ( if I can do this of course ? )

the new stick is currently formatted in fat32 in win-xp but the dm800 doesnt want to pick it up , so if I try to telnet a new ba install it fails in telnet saying no suitable medium found and aborts

so my question is how can I get the new usb stick to mount and be formatted and allow BA to be installed ?

I have tried the reflash of the dm but still have this same problem , as it now seems that the usb is no longer mounted

all I wanted to do was swap from an existing 2 gig usb stick to a bigger one

thank you

loveman
02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Taken from another site...

Insert your USB pen drive into the dreambox, let it get detected you can check this by typing dmesg |tail in the terminal, it should show some detail about detecting the device.

To format your usb drive type:

mkfs.ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

to mount your usb drive type:

mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /media/usb

You should add the following entry to your /etc/fstab file.

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

If you don't want to use the whole disc you can partition it

mkfs.ext3 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

mount /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/usb

You should add the following entry to your /etc/fstab file if you want to use this partition only

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

Now reboot your box...

Gone_Fishing
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
I thought you had to unmount first before you format ?

DCC has format and mounting options under scripts, might be wise to use the E2 version though

Pretty sure you could also use "GParted LiveCD" to format your USB in ext3 using your PC, its only 52mb download

echelon what are your thoughts on the DM800 so far if you don't mind me asking

TNT

echelon
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
like the early tm9100 its a box with plenty of potential but needs various problems sorting out first , like diseqc switching for instance , and the epg is another with problems at the moment

the front flap is definitely flimsy , should have been in a bigger box with a cooling fan like the tm9100 , only 1 card reader and no CI slot

I also find its not as simple as the tm9100 in that I expected a screen to allow me to format the stick etc. and the epg bouquet access or editing or moving isnt as good as the tm9100 images provide

picture quality and stabilty seems very good , especially if you cool it using a notebook cooler etc ( but I dont have a large tv to test it on )

anyway , using oozoon in the flash I have taken note of the telnet commands , and have found that using a 2 gig usb stick I can mount and format it , but not this 4 gig usb stick , so maybe its a size or a compatibility issue ? not sure

so at the moment I can boot from the original 2 gig stick and get barry allen etc , and/or use the 2 images I have on there

what I dont seem to be able to do is get BA to install on this new 2 gig usb stick I have formatted , and so without BA I cannot restore or install a bootable image

at the moment I have reverted to the original 2 gig usb stick which allows me to boot from flash or from installed BH0.7 or BH0.9 as required

need help to get BA running on this new 2 gig usb stick as a telnet install fails to find the usb and so the whole process is aborted
the idea was to start again using a new stick , and keep the other one as a backup , like you do with sd cards on the tm9100

sonic1
02-04-2009, 01:09 PM
In your first post echelon you say the USB has been formatted under windows.

I may be wrong but once it has been formatted under windows it can not be formatted using Linux.

I may be wrong but I never managed it.

echelon
02-04-2009, 01:14 PM
In your first post echelon you say the USB has been formatted under windows.

I may be wrong but once it has been formatted under windows it can not be formatted using Linux.

I may be wrong but I never managed it.

this could well be the problem as both the 2 gig stick and 4 gig stick have been used under windows and are therefore second hand

barry allen install over telnet says no usable device found and aborts , which seems to me that it wont format or install the usb device that I have inserted , ie:- these two spare usb sticks

the original supplied stick is booting ok with a barry allen selection screen as well

ps in post 8 here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=103047 he indicates he formatted a stick in windows before using in the dm

loveman
02-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I had also formatted mine in windows before using it in the dreambox...

I cannot remember how I'd got mine recognised... But I'm sure that barry allen basically formatted the stick itself when I tried installing...

Currently I'm wondering if there's a way to copy one memory stick to another? As I have gotten myself a small memory stick, which should fit to the usb port inside the box. But I want to keep all the images I'd created previously... I seem to recall an option of being able to create an nfi file from installed images in barry allen, so that might be a way to go...

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, why'd you want a 4gb stick in there? Currently, I'm using a 1gb stick, and that's plenty adequate for me. Got about 4 images in flash, and a 128mb swap (which hardly gets used), picons etc, and have plenty of space for all that... So unless you're recording to it (which you won't really be able to record much on to anyway), I can't see much point to it...

echelon
02-04-2009, 01:58 PM
well , to start with the supplied stick I have in use is 2 gig and is using around 800mb for BH0.7 and around 100mb for BH0.9 , and I could not figure out why this is as I never used it with the BH0.7 at all ( its 2nd hand ;) )

so rather than mess about with the only working stick I decided to re-use 2 others I have here , another 2 gig and a 4 gig , so I backed up BH0.9 using the BH menu onto the esata hdd so I could copy it back to the new stick when completed , then I was going to try other images on my new stick and keep the other as a backup and to try and reduce the BH0.7 down to say 100mb from 800mb

ok so far ?

got the backup BH0.9 done on the esata hdd I fitted

swapped sticks to the 4 gig and got nowhere including no formatting in telnet etc , having read what you wrote earlier I decided to try this with a used 2 gig stick which formats in telnet and has the correct entry in the /etc/fstab file but fails when BA tries to install saying nothing suitable is mounted , even though I have just formatted it using telnet commands.

at this point I just want a working stick that isnt the original , size isnt important so this 2 gig will be ample for experimentation

I should add that the usb stick is currently being used in the lower slot if that matters at all

sonic1
02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
As I have gotten myself a small memory stick, which should fit to the usb port inside the box

Let me know how you get on with this as I am looking into getting one myself.;)

loveman
02-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, the one I have is a 1gb kingston migo mini, which I took the blue little holder thing off... Just wanna do a few tests with it outside of the box... Will see how it goes afterwards.

Am looking at this (http://www.anonym.to/?http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1046 54&r=G) 2gb one (just for ensuring I have plenty of space in future to save having to take out etc), although dunno whether to bother trying for a 4gb to just tide me over completely...

echelon
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
that was my idea of trying an external 4 gig , as I had one already and knew I could use it to test many images

I have just found a brand new , never opened 2 gig stick from aria I bought last year for next to nothing , tried installing BA and it found it first time, formatted it in ext3 and seems quite happy to use it

so whatever the problem is I suspect we need the other sticks erasing completely , possibly no partitions on them either , so they are completely blank , and then formatting in ext3 or trying to use BA on them again

so it seems sonic`s hunch is right about trying to use sticks aready formatted in windows , a good erase of some sort may be what is needed

loveman
02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
I doubt it though, since most sticks that are bought brand new will work straight away in windows, meaning that they are already pre-formatted to fat16 (usual fs used on memory sticks). Other the joe bloggs on the street who's useless with computers would have no idea on what to do with them...

So I reckon it's more likely to be a problem with the memory stick, and it not being recognised correctly, or liked, by the dm800/ba...

echelon
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
and that is the conundrum I faced , hence the original post :)

maybe if I reformat the sticks to fat16 and not fat32 or ntfs etc they may be used by BA

I do understand where you are coming from on this , and there should be a way to reuse a stick no matter what format it was in or used

what I can tell you is that I have now successfully restored BH0.9 from my esata external hdd to this new 2 gig stick using the BA restore function , so yes you can transfer images from stick to stick using the backup and restore in BA to another medium like the hdd , which was my aim all along :)

I used the backup to nfi function from the old stick to the esata hdd , and then install it as normal from MB_Images to the new stick using BA

thanks for the help so far