PDA

View Full Version : Newbee problem

kiza
02-04-2009, 07:34 PM
I've bought box yesterday and after many searches it is still not clear to me how to update the original image. Network works fine, but when I tried to use any of the flashing tools I could not re flash. My serial cable is broken and I wonder if it is at all possible to use only network for update?

sonic1
02-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Very simple, follow the guide from Dream Multimedia HERE (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm8000/eng_browser.php)

Also check and double check you have a DM8000 image and don't ever select DM800 image by mistake.

oldfart
02-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Had the same problem.
The ONLY way I get it to work EVERY time is:-
1. get a 'good' RS232 lead - I got a cheapo - it doesn't do the job - bought one from m.a.p.l.i.n
2. You need the IP address of the DM - switch off, then switch back on whilst holding down the bottom button - it will tell you the IP address. Switch off again, take ALL leads out.
3. Connect PC DIRECTLY to DM with network lead & RS232 lead - if you don't have a PROPER RS232 interface on your PC - you are screwed! USB to RS232 don't work.
4. run Dreamup and connect to DM, using IP address.
Tried nearly EVERY other combination - doesn't work!!!! (despite what other people might say).
Best bet - install Barry Allen & put your image onto HD, then you can load whatever image you want.
All the above - in my humble opinion & hours of re-booting/sweating & swearing!

sonic1
02-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Sorry oldfart but I would have to say user error, I have been flashing my Dreambox's via the web browser for about 4 years, I also maintain 2 other DM800's for a m8 and always flash this way.

The last time 1 flashed with my null modem cable was when I had some problems with my 7000 about 3 year ago.

oldfart
02-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Yep - understood (and thanks for all your help along my journey)
However - I did have problems with a DM8000 and the above are the steps that work for me.
As I said - IMHO

kiza
02-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Very simple, follow the guide from Dream Multimedia HERE (http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/dm8000/eng_browser.php)

Also check and double check you have a DM8000 image and don't ever select DM800 image by mistake.

Thanks m8! I've tried using DreamUp and some other tools but they did not work without serial lead.
I have rs323 lead, but when I disconnected it from TM 6900 Super it broke!
If I want to have multi-boot images on USB drive can I use the same method?