PDA

View Full Version : LG's flagship PS8000 Plasma now in the UK

rabbi
07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
LG's flagship PS8000 Plasma now in the UK

Available in 50in and 60in sizes and boasting features such as 600Hz 'Smooth Motion', LG's flagship PS8000 Plasma series for 2009 is now in the UK.

600Hz 'Smooth Motion' increases the rate at which the plasma pixels refresh to improve High Definition motion tracking. It is worth noting that the figure is not directly comparable to an LCD refresh rate.

The 50PS8000's comes with a Full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution screen, a claimed 2,000,000:1 contrast ratio along with four HDMIs. A DivX-capable USB port and Bluetooth wireless connectivity add a couple of interesting features. The bluetooth gives users the option of listening to the TV with a bluetooth headset or transferring digital photos etc from their phone to the screen.

The 50in and 60in panels also come with THX certification. THX display certification has been designed to set a benchmark for flat panel display performance, driving quality in manufacturing and helping consumers to simplify their buying decisions.

The PS8000 series also comes complete with "THX Media Director" which has been designed to simplify operation, ensuring optimised settings, the goal being to deliver a realistic entertainment experience, just as the director intended. THX Media Director enables movies, music and other digital content to transfer optimized picture and sound settings to other compatible AV devices, dynamically configuring them for playback.

Featuring a stunning and unique single-layer design that gives the appearance of a solid pane of glass, LG are once again breaking new ground with the styling of their flat panel TV's.

koshba
07-04-2009, 08:33 PM
2,000,000:1 contrast ratio
cant wait to see this in the shops

keith mawer
07-04-2009, 10:11 PM
well i have seena 50 lg plasma and impressed,,
BUT YOU KNOW SOMETHINg i still PREFERE LCD TELEVISIONS,,
ok i have a rear projection set, but its the glass thing that puts me off!!!

cosworth4x4
08-04-2009, 11:07 PM
its not to badly priced either just over a grand delivered on amazon.

still unsure id buy another lg product though.:ack2:

simon 2003
08-04-2009, 11:26 PM
agreed cos once bitten and all that

xanadu
09-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Nothing wrong with my Full 1080p LCD LG.

I didn't pay much for it, and so it was a bargain. :D

keith mawer
09-04-2009, 10:12 AM
cosworth can u explain your comments " not sure id buy another lg) plzzzzzzzzzz

Klinux
14-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Lg plasma's are renowned for their faults, and poor customer services when they go wrong, I've had 2 LG 42" plasma's one badged as a Techwood but is actually a V.5 LG plasma which is working fine though the power switch broke because of it's poor design which I fixed quite easily, the other is the V.6 which blew the x & Y boards that feed the screen because the YSUS board has a known fault which kills these parts, LG released a kit for a later model which also had this problem but have refused to help with other TV's that suffered from the same fault, even though they could supply the parts, instead your left relying on second hand or high priced 3rd party parts.

If and when I buy another TV I'd probably steer clear of LG cause they probably wont last and you'll end up taking the back off.
Not good for Tv's that are 18 months old and cost a bit of money.
Having said all that perhaps LG have learnt from things and you never know you might get a good one, but its all a bit of a gamble for a 1000 plus quid TV.

keith mawer
15-04-2009, 10:04 PM
i cant believe I WOULD ever READ A THREAD THAT SAYS ,, TAKE THE BOX OFF,,,
if thats what one has to do and risk giving oneself a electric shock and mess the television up totally,,,i rather listen to the radio!

cosworth4x4
15-04-2009, 10:12 PM
cosworth can u explain your comments " not sure id buy another lg) plzzzzzzzzzz

sorry didnt reply erlier havent been getting the email notifications for the reply till tonight.

my bad experience was with a lg fridge freezer american style basically packed in after about 11 months and the repair guy (lg autharised)told me it was not worth repairing, screwed up all my food and took me about 4 months to get it sorted.

something that aint worth repairing after 11months did nothing for my confidence in thier products, i wont bore you with the hassle to get the money back for the food , :eek:

RABBY
15-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Some people are easy pleased:sifone:

Pay the Extra [ Get something Good ] Maybe looking at the latest Sony [ LCD ] Believe me ? the picture Quality is super [50000:1]:D

xanadu
16-04-2009, 07:27 PM
my bad experience was with a lg fridge freezer american style basically packed in after about 11 months .

Had my LG fridge freezer for at least 2 years and still working fine. :D

Much more reliable than the Bosch rubbish I had before.

coltal
16-04-2009, 08:00 PM
hi
yeh ill second that, lg customer service and products not the best, i had a 37" as a monitor only used weekends ,packed up after 13months
lg didnt want to know.. sent me packing to comet where i bought it..and guess wot niether did they, until durham trading standards were involved...nowt to do with gaurantee.. but to do with my statuary rights,,,got it mended..i payed £65 which i gues for a yrs use wasnt bad.. but got a whole new m/b inside, hopefully might get another yr....
:king-041:

cosworth4x4
17-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Had my LG fridge freezer for at least 2 years and still working fine. :D

Much more reliable than the Bosch rubbish I had before.

i have no doubhts some of thier stuff is ok , but that experience really put me off , and going by some of the posts on here i wasnt the only one.

if i prob worked it out the amount of costs involved in the phone calls i made to thier customer services bet i was lucky if i got back half the cost of the food i lost.

holmroad
17-04-2009, 01:56 PM
i have no doubhts some of thier stuff is ok , but that experience really put me off , and going by some of the posts on here i wasnt the only one.

if i prob worked it out the amount of costs involved in the phone calls i made to thier customer services bet i was lucky if i got back half the cost of the food i lost.

I read somewhere that LG plasmas & lcds are fitted into many current tvs, e.g. Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer, etc - so they must be pretty good technically, its just their OWN tvs which leave a lot to be desired?:respect-055:

cosworth4x4
17-04-2009, 02:15 PM
im not sure perhaps someone working in the field can tell us.

cosworth4x4
17-04-2009, 02:19 PM
just found this only lists plasmas.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plasma TV Manufacturer's

Who really makes your Plasma TV?
Very few Plasma tv manufacturers actually make their own plasma tv. Most use a system called rebadging. Basically they buy from a Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), claim to have a secret extra special feature then stick a new sticker on it and bill you thousands extra for the sticker. If you really want to pay thousands for a sticker please call our sales dept and we will sell you a sticker with our website logo for much less then the couple thousand you will pay Fujitsu or Viewsonic.

THE MAJOR MANUFACTURERS
NEC - Nec is a OEM manufacturer, The company's plan is to supply industrial unit under the NEC name and supply home units thru rebadges such as Marantz and RCA

Panasonic - Makes the complete units, Supplies Toshiba, JVC, Fujitsu and more

Pioneer - Makes all of there own equipment and sells OEM to Sharp Note: The 5030 and 4030 HD multtimedia box is made by Sharp

Fujitsu - Only makes their own 42 inch in partnership with Hitachi . 50 and 61 inch Fujitsu Plasmas are Panasonic and NEC but the 42 inch are their own. Note Hitachi plasma screens are identical to Fujitsu and cost thousands less

Sony - Makes their own boards and chips but uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi plasma screen glass.

Hitachi - Owns 50% of plasma screen factory with Fujitsu. Makes own internal components.

Philips - Uses Fujitsu/ Hitachi glass screen and most internal components as well. However, Philips makes its own bezel with built in speakers.

LG / Zenith - Make their own glass in Korea

Samsung - Makes its own components in Korea

THE SECONDARY MANUFACTURERS
RCA/ Thompson - Partners with NEC to OEM its product. Just a NEC with a new bezel.

JVC - 50 inch is Panasonic, 42 is NEC

Toshiba - OEM from Panasonic.

Sharp - OEM product through Pioneer for 50" and 42 though they may make some internal component changes .

Runco - OEM 50" from Pioneer and 42" from NEC,

Marantz - OEM 42" plasma monitor from NEC.

Viewsonic - OEM 50" plasma screen from Pioneer ( old 502 ).

Sampo - 42v3 is old Fujitsu, 42v6 is Samsung Plasma

drahcirk
17-04-2009, 05:53 PM
iknow u use a hdmi lead, but if uv got two other boxes to go in the back, ie scart leads ,how do u hook those up, or are u stuffed,. to go in the back of a slim tv i mean,