PDA

View Full Version : Wifi Possible on Elite?

tez
20-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Hi

I have done a search and but have not seen an answer to this. I am thinking of buying an Azbox but would like to use a wifi connection which the premium has (and there is no stock of it) but only 802.11g.
My question is can I use a usb wifi adapter (802.11n) with the elite as that is the only extra feature i would like in the elite or do I have to buy a Premium and am limited to 11g?

lordshoa
20-04-2009, 04:34 PM
If I figure out how to build the driver on the box as I have only just got it will tell you.

Its not quite the same a linux as it has its own way of doing things with its own folders.

tinos
20-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Maybe you can use same drivers on Popcorn Hour... but don't know if they use same kernel as AzBox... but could be easy just to copy atheros.ko and maybe usbnet or something...

pr2
20-04-2009, 09:22 PM
If you need WiFi purchase the Premium model!

Take into account the cost of the Elite + eventual supported WiFi stick or Ethernet to WiFi bridge compare the price difference between Elite and Premium.

Moreover you will use one of the 2 USB port just for your WiFi stick...

Next request will be, how to install an internal HDD into the Elite. I am pretty sure that it will come.

Quite a strange request since Premium provide it in standard... + internal HDD + universal remote control! For 90€ price difference!

Pr2

tez
20-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. The reason I was asking was no one seems to have stock of the premium now and also it is limited to 11g speeds rather than 11n (might as well make best use of my home wifi for video streaming). Besides what else could you use the second usb socket on the elite for assuming the first was used for an external drive?

pr2
20-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Hello,

Indeed you give me a good reasons N is not supported, but you can also consider Powerline Communication device:
* PLC (Powerline Communications)
* PLT (Powerline Telecommunication)
* PPC (Power Plus Communications)
* BPL (Broadband over PowerLine)

For the 2nd USB you can keep it free to update the firmware via USB, or install later on a true keyboard on your Azbox to surf the web more easily when it will be supported. Who knows, may be one day it will be possible to connect and external DVD player or even better a writer.

Pr2

lordshoa
21-04-2009, 09:35 PM
But maybe a usb hub will be supported and all questions about it only has 2 usb slots will be void and can plug in more than 2 devices.

pr2
21-04-2009, 10:21 PM
You will need to use a power USB Hub I guess if you want to extend the USB port... this needs to be tried...

medmed
22-04-2009, 01:10 AM
coming soon : driver for wifi usb .
but not the prioritie for opensat ,
source of this message is the dev azboxhd .