PDA

View Full Version : New EPG from Sly?

jblo
20-04-2009, 11:23 PM
hi

Remember with sly and sly+ boxes you could force a soft-ware update (download) by - if I remember correctly - holding the backup button on the front panel of the sly box and turning on the power. I beleive this updated the soft-ware giving you the latest update.

Can we do anything similar with the HD sly box to update the new EPG soft-ware and if so what?

Cheers for any help

jblo

TrevorC
21-04-2009, 07:54 AM
The new HD guide is being rolled out in stages to specific model numbers. At the moment this is only to Thompson boxes. The initial update was sent to a small user base using boxes with the model 4E300E. Boxes with model number 4E3004 followed shortly after and I believe that the 4E3006 are next in line. Holding down backup to force an update won’t get it any quicker I’m afraid.

holmroad
21-04-2009, 10:24 AM
The new HD guide is being rolled out in stages to specific model numbers. At the moment this is only to Thompson boxes. The initial update was sent to a small user base using boxes with the model 4E300E. Boxes with model number 4E3004 followed shortly after and I believe that the 4E3006 are next in line. Holding down backup to force an update won’t get it any quicker I’m afraid.

Mine's 4E3009, so from what you are suggesting it could be MONTHS yet for mine?
(Not that I'm THAT bothered since apart from getting ITV HD, for what its currently worth ha ha! - its not said to be very good as EPG's go anyway):respect-051:

TrevorC
21-04-2009, 12:36 PM
My Box is also a 4E3009. Apparently the updating is to be carried out during spring so I guess this gives them until the 21st June.
I only have the Sky box to keep the wife happy, if it was up to me I would sack it and stick with the motorised dish and Media-PC.
As far as I am concerned the new guide doesn't really offer any additional benefits apart from ITV HD and a better search function.

keith mawer
21-04-2009, 11:03 PM
homroad!!!!! from reports i read the NEW epg is actually amazing.
and TREVOR,, i couldnt live with out my sly+ its dam fantastic.

xanadu
21-04-2009, 11:21 PM
i couldnt live with out my sly+ its dam fantastic.

I have lived very happily without Sky UK for many years.

When i had it I never watched it as it was so bad with all the repeats and adverts.

Can't see why anyone would want to pay for Sky when there are other alternatives.

holmroad
22-04-2009, 09:34 AM

Mmmmmm - maybe for YOU M8, but there have also been reports all over the place that its complicated and gets some getting used to - especially for we older members of society (ha ha!!) - personally I cant see why they had to change the old one and havent put ITV HD into the 'HD' section as they have done everything else - but lets see, I SHOULD be getting mine soon then I can pass on a more 'personal' opinion rather than having to rely on others!:respect-057:

TrevorC
22-04-2009, 12:37 PM

I should have added that the '+' functionality is invaluable. But the Media PC that I am running is using MediaPortal, Vplug (with Smartmouse card reader) and a VboxII to move the dish. This not only gives me any European channels that are available via emulators or CS but it also gives me the pause, rewind and series link capabilities of Sky+. As far as I can see this gives me BBCHD, ITVHD and CH4 HD all on one system and an extended EPG via XMLTV from the radio times. (Most of the time this is more comprehensive than the sky EPG)
BUT, as I have not yet received the new EPG I cannot compare.

FENDOCH
23-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Hi m8s

Thats mine....model no. 4E3006 updated this morning...Everything working OK......So thats the next batch being done now.

Satfanni
23-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi m8s

Thats mine....model no. 4E3006 updated this morning...Everything working OK......So thats the next batch being done now.

Yeh my box also updated this morning (version 4E3006). Can now finally load ITV HD:respect-040: