PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Media Files

gtg60
26-04-2009, 09:45 PM
At the moment all I can play are MPEG's, DVD folders (but some work and some don't), what doesn't work for me are ISO's (DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Rays).

Also I can get MP3's to play but not WMA's.

So, is this me or a firmware issue?

Tarzan
26-04-2009, 10:12 PM
At the moment all I can play are MPEG's, DVD folders (but some work and some don't), what doesn't work for me are ISO's (DVD, HD-DVD or Blu-Rays).

Also I can get MP3's to play but not WMA's.

So, is this me or a firmware issue?

If you are using the latest firmware then yes, I had the same issue and I rolled back to the previous one...

There seem to be quite a few bugs with the current firmware and I have already noticed 3 new ones.

moontan
26-04-2009, 10:40 PM
it doesnt support hd-dvd and blu ray iso's (and definitely will never support hd-dvd files as the chip doesnt decode the files)

gtg60
27-04-2009, 10:42 AM
If You have Toshiba HD-DVD external drive used for Xbox 360, connect it to AzBox HD by usb port and see what is happening :) Do not talk without evidence....

You got me very excited there for a minute but I connected it and nothing happened...

gtg60
27-04-2009, 10:54 AM
What firmware you are using ?
I tried both 1759 and 1868, connected drive, went to Movie player and couldn't even highlight the USB tab, I assume thats what I should be doing?

moontan
27-04-2009, 10:55 AM
well i'd be delighted if it i am wrong then

will the lg external blu ray, hd-dvd work with it?

and what fw is the 360 drive meant to work with

moontan
27-04-2009, 01:11 PM
If You have Toshiba HD-DVD external drive used for Xbox 360, connect it to AzBox HD by usb port and see what is happening :) Do not talk without evidence....

nothing is happening.......

what fw is this meant to be working on as it certainly isnt the latest fw

gtg60
27-04-2009, 01:15 PM
nothing is happening.......

what fw is this meant to be working on as it certainly isnt the latest fw

Or the previous one...

moontan
27-04-2009, 01:28 PM
or 0.9.1605

gtg60
27-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Anyway, what about DVD ISO's and WMA files, how come I can't play them?

gtg60
30-04-2009, 11:19 PM

Any more word on this NeotionBox? I'm very interested and keen to get it working...

moontan
03-05-2009, 10:36 AM

any update on this? or is it just lies?

gtg60
10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
I ripped a HD DVD yesterday and the AZBox wouldn't play it so it looks as if this is total misinformation :o15:

zipperolo
10-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Anyway, what about DVD ISO's and WMA files, how come I can't play them?

Have you tried renaming wma files to MP3? There is an issue with AAC files: the AAC and M4A extensions are not recognized, but the player has the right codecs to play them, in fact if you rename them to MP3 or mp4 they play. Maybe with WMA files it's just the same.

About the ISO images, I'll post here what I already posted on another forum (yep, I'm lazy):biggrinjester:

This is what I've found out so far about ISO files playback:

1) The AZBox doesn't like some ISO Images. Namely, the ones created by CloneDVD are not opened. I don't know if that's because there is an AUDIO_TS inside or whatever, but they don't work. When ripping a DVD it's better to create the DVD files inside a folder and then create the ISO file with Nero Express, adding only the VIDEO_TS folder and then using the image recorder as the destination device. Those work, I can assure you.

2) The AZBox multimedia player doesn't support DVD scrips it seems. The menu is played as a very quick clip and then the player goes on to the actual movie. So no point in keeping the menus when you rip the DVD.

3) On DVDs with multi language audio streams, I haven't found a way so far of having the AZBox play the non-english tracks, in spite of the language settings for audio and subtitles. The player just doesn't see the different audio streams, and just pics one. I've tried to remove all the audio streams but the one in my language via CloneDVD, but then the AZBox doesn't output any audio. The stream is definately there: it plays normally on VLC. Using utilities like pgcEdit to set the audio stream ID to zero and set it as default soundtrack didn't solve the problem.

In the meanwhile I've managed to have the right soundtrack, but it's a bit of work.

It seems the AZBox player at the moment ignores the IFO files completely, and uses the iso container only as a sort of playlist for the VOB files. Not only that, but it always plays the first audio stream (the one muxed with the code $80).

When you use software like DVDShrink or CloneDVD to rip the DVD, they don't demux and mux back the streams, they just strip away the data you deselect. So the resulting VOB files have only one audio track but in my case it still had the code $82, which was the original code it had when there were two english streams before it. The AZBox player didn't find the $80 audio stream and therefore a muted playback resulted.

What I did was to demux the original VOBs with VOBEdit and then mux the m2v video file and the AC3 audio file back into a set of VOBs. This way the soundtrack got assigned a code $80, and when I tried the updated iso image the movie had the right soundtrack.

I hope they fix the player so that all this is not needed. For optimal compatibility, it would be required that the player actually reads the IFO files and uses them, allowing to choose soundtrack and subtitles. But as a first step, to have the player use an audio stream with a stream code other than $80 when it is the only one present would already be better than what we have today.

That is about FW 0.9.1759, so it might very well change or been already changed in the current FW. Since then I have started to backup my DVDs to MKV so I haven't had an occasion to check again.

gtg60
10-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Have you tried renaming wma files to MP3? There is an issue with AAC files: the AAC and M4A extensions are not recognized, but the player has the right codecs to play them, in fact if you rename them to MP3 or mp4 they play. Maybe with WMA files it's just the same.

Ah, my friend, you are correct! :respect-040:

Hopefully, they'll sort out this bug soon then, as I'm not changing the thousands of songs I have from .wma to .mp3 :o15:

Will investigate what you said about video files too but at least I'm getting somewhere now!

moontan
10-05-2009, 05:52 PM
ye try rename the .evo files to .mkv or .mt2s

gtg60
10-05-2009, 06:29 PM
ye try rename the .evo files to .mkv or .mt2s

OMG! That worked too! :respect-023:

No sound though but at least we know it can actually play these files so I'm assuming a firmware update will handle the way the files are dealt with.

moontan
10-05-2009, 07:11 PM
to connect the xbox hd dvd drive they cant support it out of the box unless they want trouble, as they'd need to include the keys to decode the files.

So maybe it will be possible to play hd-dvd discs through a usb hd-dvd drive with a plugin

gtg60
10-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Either way I'm a lot happier knowing that it indeed does have the Codec's to play HD-DVD's, perhaps there was an earlier Beta firmware that we never saw that could indeed play directly from the XBox's HD-DVD drive, time to chime in and redeem yourself NeotionBox ;)

gtg60
13-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Still no HD DVD, WMA or ISO playback for me in firmware 0.9.2032

moontan
13-05-2009, 07:38 PM
and still no fix for playing high bitrate mkv's over a network

cd rom is any option now, and was able to select it when i connected my lg hd dvd/blu ray drive, but when i clicked on it, it just went back to main menu, and cdrom option was unhighlighted

tinos
13-05-2009, 07:47 PM
To play high bitrate we need to get the new Sigma driver version of firmware which is not out yet.

gtg60
13-05-2009, 08:41 PM
cd rom is any option now, and was able to select it when i connected my lg hd dvd/blu ray drive, but when i clicked on it, it just went back to main menu, and cdrom option was unhighlighted

Yeah, I tried that with my XBox 360's HD DVD drive and got the same results.