PDA

View Full Version : e-sata?

canthackit
05-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi

i've been in the process of setting up an external HDD got the caddy via USB thinking that it would work, well it does to a degree but you have to connect the 2 USB ports on the DB as just 1 is not powerfull enough, although i managed to intialize HDD most functions are not avaliable this is because the DB see's it a USB device and not a HDD.

Phew got that over with.........so to my question'e are what caddy/connection do i need to setup my 2 1/2 HDD? is the 15 pin sata connection power only? do i need a male/female or female/female sata lead? and where does the e-sata draw the power from:leaving:

ok that's it sorry for all the questions:iamwithstupid:

regards: canthackit

echelon
05-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I would have said that the 2.5 inch sata hdd uses the same power source as a 3.5 inch sata hdd , which is the standard power connector you showed a picture of recently. but the dreambox psu is only capable of a certain amount of power and the usb sockets are limited even more , so the correct power source for the drive is that internal power connector on the board ( the white one used for the internal hdd power )

some external caddies are powered separately using their own psu and these would be ideal for your purpose as they dont rely on the dreambox psu at all as they have their own power brick as a power source

you can power the external sata hdd using a separate power source like the pc psu,s which are ideal for this purpose , I was using an old pc AT psu with on/off power switch myself , and also used this to power the dreambox too using the red 5v power and a black earth for that task to a common 2.5mm dc power plug same as the dreambox psu uses, a modern pc ATX psu can be used with an on/off switch connected to green and black on the motherboard connector.

this is the main reason I transplanted mine into a htpc case as it has everything required , space , pc psu , 12v and 5v power lines , fan cooling , room for a 3.5 inch sata hdd etc etc

so my advice would be to power the external caddy and the dreambox using a pc psu

ps:- on my original caddy I used a sata to esata cable , sata at the hdd end and esata into the back of the dm , purchased on the e bay for a few pounds ( I have only used a 3.5 inch sata drive but the connections are all the same , the narrow ribbon is the sata and the 15 pin wide one with yellow/black/black/red is the power )

some pictures of common sata power connectors and cables below , note you can also buy extension power leads for sata 15 pin power connectors

post some pictures and details of what you have so we can be more specific , or choose what you need from my pictures below

Stev0
05-05-2009, 11:46 AM
i have a external caddy, but my hard drive's temp is 60c + so hot you cant touch it. so i just leave it off until i wanna record something.

echelon
05-05-2009, 01:30 PM
here are 2 pictures of my first attempt using an external 3.5 inch caddy with a 3.5 inch 160 gig sata hdd and an AT psu from an old pc as described above. it uses a sata to esata hdd cable and a standard sata 15 pin power connector with a molex connection to the pc psu

canthackit
06-05-2009, 06:45 AM
thanks guy's very informative.

echelon to my rescue yet again:respect-048:

EDIT:
Got it working at last externally, set up the HDD internally intialized it, then it recognised BA 4.8.2 and installed it then i cpuld install BH 0.10 on the HDD.

Removed the HDD and connected externally and with fingers crossed attempted to install GP2 4.20 it went a smooth as it could ....only one slight downside is it takes the 2 USB ports up still small price to pay as i've now got a 250 Gig Hard Drive to mess around with.

So i've now got Oozoon 02/05/2009 on the flash with BA 4.8.2 and BH 0.10 and GP2 4.20 on the HDD

regards: canthackit