PDA

View Full Version : NTFS formatted USB drives working yet?

s_kates81
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi,
Just read in the azbox manual that one SHOULD NOT use NTFS formatted hard disk or USB drives in the azbox. That's why wanna know if someone is using ntfs formatted usb drives with azbox without a problem. Thanks

goran
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Do not boot from NTFS HDD or USB memory stick, says the Manual.

However, when connected to another lappy or PC, NTFS HDD can be seen and played from... With difficulty if it's Vista but easily if it's XP!!!

Cheers!

s_kates81
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Goran, you mean to say that I can transfer big files from my pc to azbox using ntfs formatted usb stick? what if i forget it in the azbox and reboot the box with the ntfs formatted usb drive in it?

goran
08-05-2009, 12:45 PM
I haven't tried it but it could be possible. I mean, if Ubuntu can mount NTFS HDDs/partitions...

But that is the worry, yes - hence the warning not to use them as a matter of course...

People are fallible, All of us. We forget, indeed... and fookups do happen...

So, better be safe than sorry... ;)

s_kates81
08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Yes exactly. I've burnt my azbox once. and had to re-purchase the box. Now really don't wanna do something risky

pr2
08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Hello,

To be safe, transfert your files via FTP rather than trying to use a NTFS formatted device.
I don't know what the damage can be but indeed in the user manual it is clearly stated not to start the box with a NTFS formatted device connected to it.

From your PC transfert via FTP to /DATA/hdb1/movie

It is better to transfer from the PC to the Azbox because in that way you can still use your box while files transfer... If you turn you PC into a FTP server and use the Azbox has client via the FTP menu will get stuck in it until the files transfert is finished. ;-)

Pr2