PDA

View Full Version : has anone a 50/52 lcd hdtv?

keith mawer
08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
my neighbours toshiba 42" lcd is really good ,, but am thinking of a 50 or 52 " LCD.
SO question is thus.. any one got a large lcd and there happy also with no motion problems,

echelon
08-05-2009, 06:08 PM
speaking personally , I have never seen a decent picture over about 40 inches , although 42 inches is probably good as you say

so when I buy my next one I am looking around that size and 1080P too , as I consider the bigger ones too big and also never been impressed with the pictures either on the bigger screens , bigger is not always better , bragging rights down the pub is not what it is about imho

I too have seen good pictures on the toshibas and have a 20 inch toshiba with excellent pictures on it

but I would look at the sony , pioneer , panasonic , samsung and sharp ones as well as toshiba myself , and usually you find sony or pioneer to be among the best in class , and some stuff by sony is actually a rebadged pioneer anyway ;)

these new oled ones look to be good , although still pricey

as I said , thats my opinion , and others will have their own opinions too

I still wouldnt touch the yo-yo/boomerang ones ( like LG ) and definitely not the cheap also rans usually on offer for less money than the big names

martin007
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
@keith mawer

Actually the bigger the screen the better the quality so long as it is HD 1080i or 1080p. If you can afford it get the full HD. About the best is Sony, but Samsung are actually quite good to. in fact there is so much competition out there now you will get one quite cheap.
So good luck M8.

johntee50
08-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I've got a 40" Sony LCD and the picture quality is excellent. I have a friend who has a 50" LCD and his picture isn't as good. I suppose it depends on how far away from it you intend to sit. If it's quite close I'd go for the smaller size. As regards the no motion problem, have you tried Ex-lax ?

Regards, JT.

xanadu
08-05-2009, 08:41 PM
the best is Sony, but Samsung are actually quite good to.I wouldn't touch Sony or Samsung.

LG or Panasonic is my preference.

Learning
09-05-2009, 09:11 AM
and im not easily impressed. well i was in a big cuurys outlet yesterday and was struck by the quality of this lg 60pg3000 a 60 incher showing a prerecorded phillips demo and the quality was fantatstic. for motion and colour. the salesboy couldnt explain the transition of a demo for a 100hz lcd tele on a 720p plasma screen. Bhe disc but I kid you not the picture was fantastic. When I asked was it from an hd source he showed me this scruffy looking phillips box it was coming from and said he thought it was a blueray player. It has freeview inbuilt and only hd ready and the freeview picture was ok but not as sharp as from the demo disc but If you only want it for HD dvd and gameplay I reckon its a good buy. the drawback is it consumes 560 watts and is fooking heavy. there is a 50 with an usb port

james325ise
09-05-2009, 04:46 PM
i do have this tv learning ..........

forget the pub bragging.......

i dont drink often enough to make use this option lol

i have been very happy with sat- H.d and 360 gameplay

i can also use laptop on this tv ( mmnnnnnnnnnnn what a monitor ) i have posted a pic ..

im more than happy with this tv..was a sony man,, but let down on a lcd i had....very dissapointed

and yes have a m8 ready to help lift this ....lol

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb283/jasonst200/Photo-0035.jpg

Learning
10-05-2009, 07:37 AM
nice one m8 how are you getting same screen display to your lappie

apology to Keith dont mean to ****** your thread m8

drahcirk
10-05-2009, 09:09 AM
learning says it uses 560 watts, how the hell can anyone afford to run it beats me, my rear projector uses 125watts thats too much for me,.

keith mawer
10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
see we have so many opionions,, would not get a 20" !!!!!!!
some say what a fantastic lg make!! in fact my neighbour said her brother has 1 and is pleased.
1 THING FOR SURE, i would only buy 1 with a 5 year guarantee like john lewis as a example are doing,,AND THE MORE I THINK ONLY LCD nOT PLASMA
samsung do a nice 55 "lcd!!!!! but will make a choice soon,,,
PS MY MOTIONS ARE FINE ALSO!!!!!!!!!

james325ise
10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
keith i wont go singing LG's praise's

but i think its like a car you can get the same model and make and yr
drive the same etc yet one will keep breaking down and the other is fine !!!

i guess its how lucky you are...

lg started new just like pioneer and sony//
just guess they are a little younger ..if im wrong then someone correct me

i wont buy a tv because of name' sake i have had sony for a few yrs and wasn't unhappy//

i still remember buying my first 21" nicam tv .............over £500 ...

i think its down to preferance we can give all the advise in the world

but its your head and heart that will get the tv ...

if married shop alone ...........lol

she will moan that you dont need a big tv but when shes sitting down watching her soaps she wont b moaning !!!

cheers j**

Keano
10-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Got four plasmas/lcd tv in our house, all HD with HDMI, two with 1080P

26inch bush
32inch Samsung ( 1080P)
37inch LG
50inch Panasonic ( 1080P)

The best picture with out doubt is the Panasonic, it is the TH-50PZ80B.
I got it in November last year from empire ( just in time ! ) and got £200 off because Panasonic just released a new one which was the same but with freesat built in ( think RABBY has this one). Cost £1200 but woth every penny.

My best m8 was so impressed he went and got the 42inch version and loves it.

Even Digitalb supersports looks good on it, miles better than the 37inch lg.

Get the best you can afford, TV's that are expensive are expensive for a reason. I have seen some crap 50inch tvs at friends houses. They think they are good because it only cost £500 from ALDI but they are only kidding themselves.
I have done it also with the 26inch bush, bought it last year for £250 from ASDA for daughter but its awful to watch, she does not know any difference but when I sit and watch it in her room I sure do.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for.

drahcirk
10-05-2009, 01:48 PM
can u say which is better ,the lcd or the plasma please, :sifone:

martin007
10-05-2009, 02:30 PM
By all accounts and from media reports LCD. Plus they are lighter and easier to handle. Cheers.

Keano
10-05-2009, 02:34 PM
m8 without doubt the panasonic 50" plasma. Get a panasonic home theatre surround system to go with it and wow !
On the ps3 with these two setup to the max and playing COD and its like the Germans are right behing you.

I had my garage converted last year and have all my gear in there, shut the door to the wife and kids and fun time.

Gone_Fishing
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
The only reason I would get an LCD is if I was a heavy gamer otherwise it would be plasma all the way especially if your going to be viewing in a bright room with lots of daylight, there are other reason but I think anyone who's done their reading will know what they are so no point listing them here

Best thing to do is go get a demo of any screen somewhere they no what they are doing and view all source types especially broadcasts freeview, satellite, cable etc, but you have to be realistic when it comes to anything thats broadcast because 720x576 images or less with low bitrates are never going to look great at 1920x1080 so if most of your viewing is broadcast stuff then get a 720p screen as its closer to 720x576 that is unless you go really expensive :117:

Having said that some broadcasts are very good and can look great but some really stink :ack2:

Its not easy choosing a new screen when my CRT went I watched a 4.3 portable for nearly 2 years only plus side waiting so long I had more money to play with

If your after a Plasma I would go for one of the new NeoPDP Panasonics as they are great value for money and probably the top manufacture now Pioneer have pulled out of manufacturing screens altogether so stock is just about dried up everywhere

LG plasmas are very good but they still suffer from retention even the latest ones

TNT