PDA

View Full Version : LAN HDD and Premium HDD questions

gtg60
14-05-2009, 11:26 AM
So, there have been a few things that I really want to do with my AZBox's but can't manage yet, the first is to be able to Record movies onto a LAN/ NAS HDD, I did find some instructions on another (now closed ;) forum)

I have a PC with IP 172.16.0.199, with a shared folder named "Peliculas", inside this folder, two more folders named "pvrfile" and "recordfile".

- Plug a USB Flash Drive on STB (lower connector USB1).
- Telnet to this box, an type this two commands:

mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/movie -o guest
mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/usb1/sda1 -o guest

(Change the Ip and folder name to yours)

After that, when I enter to Home->Video, I see all my films on PC (the first command make that possible).
And when I push the record button and beguin the recording, the record itīs made on PC.

Now I tried this and just get an error message:

retrying with upper case share name
mount error 6 = No such device or address
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I'm wondering if somebody could shed some light on what's going wrong for me, please??

Also, I'm wondering if I can access my Premium's HDD from my Elite and watch recorded files, is this possible??

FME_fta
15-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Questions:

Did you change the IP address (192.168.1.33) for the IP that your PC uses?
Did you change the name of the shared folder "Peliculas" (the name could be case sensitive) for your real shared folder?
Do you use simple share in windows XP (or guest will not work)
If you use Windows Vista the "how to" sharing a folder is more complicated and I don't know exactly how it is done.
Does exist: "/DATA/movie"?
Did azbox detect your USB PEN/HDD?

Also, there is a mistake in there, it sould be:
"I have a PC with IP 192.168.1.33, with a shared folder named..."

Regards!

gtg60
15-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you very much for replying, the mistake it the first post with IP addresses was mine, I had typed in my own address.

I had tried following these instructions dozens of times and never got it working, I think there must have been a problem with the sharing end of it because I just tried it now and got it working perfectly, thank you :)

gtg60
15-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Ok, so I now have my Elite and Premium recording to the same folders on my PC's hard drive so that either box can watch what the other has recorded! :respect-039:

My NAS arrives on Monday so will set that up as my central storage, I'm sure now that I know how to do it, it won't be too difficult.

As a side note I discovered that while my Premium was recording a movie that the Elite could actually access and start watching it, only up to the point where the movie was when I started playing the file though, if you know what I mean but I am hoping that I or someone else will discover a way of watching the entire movie that way, it certainly would be very handy!

Smudger
15-05-2009, 04:41 PM
Does the USB pen have to in he receiver all the time or just to set the share?

happyhammer
15-05-2009, 04:55 PM
..but I am hoping that I or someone else will discover a way of watching the entire movie that way, it certainly would be very handy!

you could probably use VLC on the PC to stream it to the other AZbox. VLC is good at reading files that are still growing in size. ( as your recording a program)

gtg60
15-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Does the USB pen have to in he receiver all the time or just to set the share?

Yes, the USB has to stay in the receiver all the time to 'trick' it.

But, and like a lot of things with the AZBox, I'm hoping this is just a temporary measure until it is properly implemented in a firmware upgrade, although I hear they're busy at the moment ;) so I am happy with this workaround :)

gtg60
15-05-2009, 05:05 PM
you could probably use VLC on the PC to stream it to the other AZbox. VLC is good at reading files that are still growing in size. ( as your recording a program)

Hmmm, interesting, must give that a go! :respect-048:

FME_fta
15-05-2009, 05:25 PM
Thank you very much for replying, the mistake it the first post with IP addresses was mine, I had typed in my own address.

I had tried following these instructions dozens of times and never got it working, I think there must have been a problem with the sharing end of it because I just tried it now and got it working perfectly, thank you :)

Good to know m8 that everything is working fine.
:respect-055: