PDA

View Full Version : struggling to record on 6800HD

bigkenny
15-05-2009, 01:52 PM
I have a new 6800HD and have been having trouble to record onto it. I`ve even down loaded the latest file from the Technomate`s web site and its still no good.

The versions I`ve tried are :-

I`m running an external HD in a caddy (which works fine of my home PC and a laptop) I`ve formated it in FAT, FAT32 and also formated from the satellite receiver its self, still no good

When its recording its like watching it record/play in treacle its as if its recording every few seconds and jumps all over the place

Has anyone else had a problem like this??

Giga
15-05-2009, 02:44 PM
have you formated the HD with their format tool?
How to Format a Hard Disc HDD download the brief manual here:

http://www.technomate.com/support.php
make only the connection on the usb after the Technomate is on and playing.
does it show the harddisc in the USB menu?

bigkenny
19-05-2009, 10:36 AM
have you formated the HD with their format tool?
How to Format a Hard Disc HDD download the brief manual here:

http://www.technomate.com/support.php
make only the connection on the usb after the Technomate is on and playing.
does it show the harddisc in the USB menu?

I`ve done as you said and still no good. I took my external HD to a mates house who has the same TM 6800HD with same software version on. Its not working good on his machine as well. Yet when I put in his 4GB Flash Memory Stick it worked. So for some reason it does not like my Hard Drive, its a 30GB 3.5" drive one which has been running fine in a normal PC then a couple of years ago transfered over to a HD caddy. I`ve used it on several PCs (2 laptops and 1 Tower PC) also an Amiga Computer I`ve never had any problem with it before until now?? Can anyone shed any light on this problem

keith mawer
19-05-2009, 10:48 AM
woo i was thinking of getting a 6800!
i thought it was straight forward,, in my case i dont want a pvr thats what i thought a 6800 was as i have sly.

bigkenny
19-05-2009, 11:34 AM
woo i was thinking of getting a 6800!
i thought it was straight forward,, in my case i dont want a pvr thats what i thought a 6800 was as i have sly.

Hi Keith, first off you support a good team :-))

The 6800 has the option of installing a HD (or flash memory) to its external USB connection on the front. I did not buy if for this reason. A friend has the same model and I was very impressed with it so I got the same one. I only found out this problem with my HD when I tested it. He has never had any problem with his machine when he used his 4GB memory sticks (he has 2 of them) I`ve tested them on mine and they work so its not the 6800 that`s at fault its some problem the TM not liking my Hard drive (don`t know why) his memory sticks work on my machine. I have also a 2GB MicroSD card that will not work (on both 6800) so best to find out which memory works before buying if you can.

The HD is working ok transfering files (both ways) its just the recording part thats not working good. Its freezing then jumping

Giga
19-05-2009, 12:39 PM
do you still have the same problem with the official firmware for the TM-6800HD Super ver,680 27-04-2009?
http://www.technomate.com/software_updates.php?model=TM-6900+HD+Super++Usb+Pvr+Ready

dxman
19-05-2009, 06:06 PM
hello mate i have been using an old 250 giga usb HD and i never had any problems,I use the 6800 super,maybe technomate receiver don't like your Hd for some reason,it is a really strange problem
I notest that on the tecnomate webb site there is two types of formatting ,one it is for the small HD like yours and the other is for bigger Hd,
try to reformat it again just in case ,you need to download a little file from the webb site ,once you done that put in your receiver for a different formatting.
I done two HD a 250 giga and 500 giga they both work on my 6800 super good luck mate
regards dxman

pmb
19-05-2009, 08:19 PM
I've a 6800 as well but only done brief recordings to a stick so far. I have seen threads about needing a fast external drive to avoid these problems. I need to have a look at this and other forums before buying a HDD.

teassoc
19-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm using a TM 6900 super and have endless problems with the external 500 giga drive. Formated it in FAT using the official TM facility.

It will record (most of the time) but very temperemental when I want to play something back. That's even after it gives me the PVR OK message. Sometimes I have to record something first and/or switch the box off and on several times before finally getting to play something.

Once it's working it's OK until the next time I switch it back on.

dreambox17
19-05-2009, 10:28 PM
These faults must only apply to the super models
iv never had a recording fault
i am using a buffalo 500gb without power supply

works supurb

hope this helps

bigkenny
22-05-2009, 04:33 PM
do you still have the same problem with the official firmware for the TM-6800HD Super ver,680 27-04-2009?
http://www.technomate.com/software_updates.php?model=TM-6900+HD+Super++Usb+Pvr+Ready

yes this was one of the first things I did (only trouble is with this version you can not get into the CASS settings) but it still did not work. It seems it does not like some certain hard drivers (don`t know why)

bigkenny
22-05-2009, 05:02 PM
hello mate i have been using an old 250 giga usb HD and i never had any problems,I use the 6800 super,maybe technomate receiver don't like your Hd for some reason,it is a really strange problem
I notest that on the tecnomate webb site there is two types of formatting ,one it is for the small HD like yours and the other is for bigger Hd,
try to reformat it again just in case ,you need to download a little file from the webb site ,once you done that put in your receiver for a different formatting.
I done two HD a 250 giga and 500 giga they both work on my 6800 super good luck mate
regards dxman

yes I`ve formatted it the way Technomate say (I`ve dowloaded the format file and done as it says in the docs) still no good. I might try again and see if I might have done something wrong though

holmroad
22-05-2009, 05:23 PM
yes I`ve formatted it the way Technomate say (I`ve dowloaded the format file and done as it says in the docs) still no good. I might try again and see if I might have done something wrong though

Hi M8, once I'd got over the early FAT32 requirements and was still struggling to record - and I've had both the 'plain'6900HD and now the Super 6900HD, I found the clincher was to connect my 500GB hard disk to pc and give it a title, e.g. TM6900HD - and that seemed to sort prob once back on my USB/PVR etc! :respect-046:

bigkenny
22-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Hi M8, once I'd got over the early FAT32 requirements and was still struggling to record - and I've had both the 'plain'6900HD and now the Super 6900HD, I found the clincher was to connect my 500GB hard disk to pc and give it a title, e.g. TM6900HD - and that seemed to sort prob once back on my USB/PVR etc! :respect-046:

OK will give it ago, thanks

joany
22-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I contacted Technomate and received a response from them:

"I have a tm6900 hd combo super and recently bought a seagate 1.5T Seagate Freeagent external drive to use as a pvr for the receiver.

I formatted the drive as fat32 using Norton Partition Magic and whilst it works sometimes, the majority of the time I get "usb drive volume 0 not ready" when I click on the file list, recording and playback buttons."

Their Reply:

"The reason you are getting this message is because the drive has its own power supply. To get the drive to function correctly you will need to switch the hard drive off and turn the receiver on and when the receiver has fully booted then turn the hard drive on.

If you have any problems please call us on 020 8884 0701.

Regards
"

I haven't tried this yet.

Giga
23-05-2009, 07:34 PM
>8>8 I found the clincher was to connect my 500GB hard disk to pc and give it a title, e.g. TM6900HD - and that seemed to sort prob >8>8

Did label the USB Harddisc (500 GB WD My Book Home Edition) as you sugested (6900 HD Combo Super). And this seems to work, the harddisc does no longer goes in to deep power saving mode. The white leds flashes no slowly and no longer goes out. When I want to record (timeshift). I have to press the red recording button twice and it starts recording. (1st time the harddisc starts spinning up, 2nd time recording starts) Did not try the timer yet.

oldjiver
24-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I have a maxtor 500g drive with my TM6900super HD. Sometimes it just loses the recordings stored there. But if I run "checkdisk" they miraculously return?? Strange?

madsod
24-05-2009, 11:01 AM
on my 6900 i use a 640 westen digtal , and 3 other laptop hard drives and all work thats a 60 gig 80gig and 320gig , but i have found some do not work its not the t/mate , but the hard drive it does not like sorry to say

j@mes
25-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Using WD Essential 250gb no probs have about ten films on it at the moment. Came already formatted fat32. Deleted all files including hidden ones(Tools-Folder Options-View-Show Hidden files).

Made a backup of everything before I erased it.

keith mawer
25-05-2009, 11:25 AM
ok i have a techo 1500 but i am sure there is a techo hd out there without a pvr must have another look

Giga
25-05-2009, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=teassoc;622605]I'm using a TM 6900 super and have endless problems with the external 500 giga drive. Formated it in FAT using the official TM facility.[>8>8/QUOTE]
did you give the hard disc a volume label? this seems to improve the behaviour. It did in my case.