PDA

View Full Version : HDD Install that went wrong :(

slime
17-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi,

A m8 of mine has just bought one of these boxes and decided to fit a HDD following limited pdf included with AZbox premium. He powered it on and got "No_disk" followed by "Connect As" in an endless loop in display so powered it off, removed HDD but it still wont boot. He then searched the net and finally google showed him a different pdf that said do not connect HDD to this connector but the one right over the other side or else you will damage the azbox. So it looks like he has damaged it - pretty naff that there is a connector so near the sata port that will accept the power connector and will damage the unit? Any ideas if it is completely broke?

Cheers

pr2
17-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Hello,

Sorry to tell you that this warning is on every website that speaks of the Azbox. There is 2 versions of it and they all explain clearly how to connect the HDD. Even in the user manual we show that the connector for the power supply is up to the DOM module.

Doesn't it look strange that there is no keyway on this connector and the other gets one...

And if he really connect the HDD wrongly, then yes he needs to return it for repair explaining that he wrongly connect the internal HDD.

Pr2

s_kates81
17-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Another box bit the dust by wrong HDD connection. I am also one unlucky guy who just did the same and blew the box. Hopefully this new victim can claim the warranty

slime
17-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Well - he showed me the instructions that he followed (same as azbox-hd-eng-manual.pdf - page 94) and it looks like (ok maybe at first look - hard to say as I don't have one) the 2 connectors are in similar places/right next to each other when they are NOT. So, I reckon I would be in the same boat - but like I say it's hard to say!

@s_kates_81:

I take it you had to pay to get yours fixed? What is my m8 looking at? A big repair bill?

Thanks

radioboy
17-05-2009, 09:52 PM
It just needs a plastic cover fitted over the conector thats not going to be of any use.

Scrap what i just said. Get them to connect the power and sata drive leads to the motherboard when in production.:respect-057:

The user just needs to conect the drive end then...

Radioboy...

s_kates81
18-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Well - he showed me the instructions that he followed (same as azbox-hd-eng-manual.pdf - page 94) and it looks like (ok maybe at first look - hard to say as I don't have one) the 2 connectors are in similar places/right next to each other when they are NOT. So, I reckon I would be in the same boat - but like I say it's hard to say!

@s_kates_81:

I take it you had to pay to get yours fixed? What is my m8 looking at? A big repair bill?

Thanks

I am that unlucky guy who had to re-purchase the box, since my box was not able to be fixed since it was broken by bad handling by courier guys. OpenSat just let me knew that though they received the box, few parts of the box were broken so it was impossible to repair it. So I just asked them to throw it away. And then I re-purchased the box.

I guess if it wasn't mishandling by courier, they would have fixed my box though. I am not sure if they will charge anything for it, or for free. You mate have to ask them

slime
28-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Just to follow up on this - my m8 has exchanged it with the shop after being open and honest about what happened - the shop (Lee @ Goldwafers!!!!!) were great and as far as I know spoke to manufacturer and swapped it out thankfully - my m8 just had to pay for all the postage - so thank god he took my advice and bought from Lee :)

traveller
01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Just to follow up on this - my m8 has exchanged it with the shop after being open and honest about what happened - the shop (Lee @ Goldwafers!!!!!) were great and as far as I know spoke to manufacturer and swapped it out thankfully - my m8 just had to pay for all the postage - so thank god he took my advice and bought from Lee :)

No need to go elsewhere when you get great service from them. :respect-023:

Burnham
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
This post needs an attachment to show EXACTLY AND WITHOUT ANY DOUBT the correct way to install a hard drive.

xanadu
01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
This post needs an attachment to show EXACTLY AND WITHOUT ANY DOUBT the correct way to install a hard drive.

Sticky already exists at top of Premium section.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109113

Burnham
01-08-2009, 02:13 PM
If that is 100% confirmed as the correct procedure then it is good you have posted the link here in this post.

But I don't understand why people were installing hard drives incorrectly. it is the same picture as shown on page 94 of the AZ Box user manual.

xanadu
01-08-2009, 02:24 PM
But I don't understand why people were installing hard drives incorrectly. it is the same picture as shown on page 94 of the AZ Box user manual.

Because most people don't read instruction manuals, and only ask for help when it all goes wrong.

AJR
01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Because most people don't read instruction manuals, and only ask for help when it all goes wrong.

And also they don't think about what they are doing .... just stick it the first hole that they see:D

When you look and compare the plug to the available holes ... its kinda obvious