PDA

View Full Version : Screen size - viewing distance proportions

luis
20-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I canīt move farther than 2.60 m (about 100 inches) from my TV. What is the largest screen I can buy for normal viewing?

bbeef
20-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I would say 37" max mate. Rule of thumb is if you have to move your eyes when watching its too big. Im about same distance as you from my 37" and its just about right.

luis
20-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Thatīs what I thought myself m8. Either 32" or 37".

xanadu
20-05-2009, 10:21 PM
37 inch is the one to go for.

32 inch would be too small once you get used to it.

42 inch would be too big at this viewing distance.

Gone_Fishing
21-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Depends what your watching, viewing distances for HD are shorter think how close you can site to a computer screen

One thing about large screens they look big at first but you get use to them very quickly and your perception changes and they start to feel like they are shrinking

I have a 42" and a 50" got the 42" first and I sit around the same distance as you quoted and thought it was big at first but after about a week or two it seemed just right, I would have been kicking myself if I had gone for the 37"

Most of my viewing is on the 50" now and the 42" looks tiny when I watch it

I know loads of people who have bought screens and after about a week wished they had gone bigger

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5609/90912971.png

luis
21-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Right TNT, the screens are "getting" smaller after watching them for a few weeks. Iīm one of those who were sorry to have bought a TV which seemed right at first but soon got too small. Thatīs why I posted the question on the board now. Iīm glad my experiences are commonly confirmed. And yes, the distances became smaller after the invention of HD TV. With CRT TVs and programs with bad picture we had to move away from the screen until the picture stopped to appear unsharp and scintillating. Now the limit (much closer) seems to be determined when we are so close that the eyes movement gets too intense when we watch an action on the screen.

Also, in my case, I often watch TV and do something unassuming on my PC. So I swivel on my chair to watch both the PC monitor and TV screen. In this case Iīm closer to TV. So, all in all - 37" it is. Thank you all.