PDA

View Full Version : VLC and HD Streaming.

Phylos
24-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Streaming from the DM8000 to a PC with VLC works fine with SD channels, however when using an HD channel the picture stutters.

I know this is not a network bandwidth issue as the same happens when copying the same .ts stream to the local hard drive.

I am running an Intel core duo processor. Not sure if that is the problem (? need more powerful CPU) as VLC doesn't have graphics hardware acceleration.

Is anyone with a more powerful setup able to get proper playback of HD streams in VLC?

ian
24-05-2009, 01:23 PM
VLC just doesnt work correctly with HD mate.it never has.
although TNT has posted some work arounds on here somewhere,i just cant remember where.
do a search for TNT's posts and you should find it.ian.

Gone_Fishing
24-05-2009, 02:38 PM
As ian said its vlc thats the problem but you can try the following see if it makes any difference

Start VLC and go to

Settings > Preferences > Input Codecs > Other Codecs > FFmpeg

Select "Advanced Options" bottom right then look for

Skip the loop filter for h.264 and set it to "All"

Then Save, you need then to close and open vlc for it to take effect

The other option is mount your PC drive and play the stream with another player while its recording

TNT

dubious
24-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, I still use TNT's tip to this day for VLC HD streaming.

Dunno what version of VLC you use, I use 0.9.9, I tried the recent RC version that was doing the rounds and that was crap.

Anyway the setting you need to alter is the FFmpeg 'skip the loop filter for H.264 decoding' setting, change it to 'all'

You will find this when you enable 'all' settings, then look for 'Input/Codecs' then 'Other codecs' then 'FFmpg'

This works for me, no glitches with HD, also works for 4:4:2 feeds.

I only have a C2D E6600 so not great processing power needed.

EDIT: TNT pipped me to to the post