PDA

View Full Version : new postioner

halfax
25-05-2009, 02:31 PM
have bought a new stand alone postioner to replace my old pace.
but i am unsure where to put the four wires
the new as
motor+
motor-
sensor-
sensor+

in the old
it was
gnd
pulse
motor a
motor b

any ideas?

luis
25-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Sensor+ and - is probably pulse and gnd, while motor+ and - stands instead motor a and b. Care should only be taken not to connect the two motor leads on positioner to the two pulse connections on actuator (which I think you have). In this case the sensor gets 36 volts and itīs gone in a moment. I have an Echostar positioner to control the actuator. If I remember well it doesnīt matter if you interchange the two pulse wires, it works either way, however, to be on the safe side, connect sensor+ wire from positioner to pulse on actuator and sensor- to gnd. There should be a scheme in the actuator connection box. You can interchange the two motor leads to reverse the direction of rotation. Connect it so that the dish turns west when you press the west button on positioner remote control and east when you press east.

xanadu
25-05-2009, 05:28 PM
As you don't say what model positioner it's difficult to to advise any further.

chorleycat
25-05-2009, 10:00 PM
hi - halfax
yes i,d confirm all that " luis" said in his post --
i think he covered it all --
good luck -- c.c.

mahler
25-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Hello halfax, luis has given you a very comprehensive answer to your question, and I would like to perhaps give you an idea of how the positioner system works.

Firstly when you command the dish to move to another orbital location to receive a particular satellite the 36 volts from the receiver energises the motor and part of the motor gearing has a permanent magnet attached to it which rotates.

In close proximity to this wheel is a reed switch which is sensitive to a magnetic field, so each time there is a pass the switch closes and and after the pass opens again.

This represents one pulse, and in most receivers 5 pulses equal one degree azimuth, so providing the receiver/ motor was initially set up correctly the pulse number relationship to a sat position will remain constant.

My own receiver has the word "Pulse" rather than sensor but both are correct in terms of what they do.

Regards mahler.

halfax
30-05-2009, 01:11 PM
thanks for advice got ti to work east to west. it is a gbox but ti will not go to preprogrammed settings . could i have blown up reed sensor?
if so whereis it , and how would i replace it ?
thanks

dmgp
30-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Hi Halfax, the reed switch is a small glass or plastic tube, probably black in colour next to the rotating disk magnet it may be soldered in or have leads which are held in screw terminals. If you have a volt meter, connect it to the sensor leads, set it to the lowest resistance setting or the diode test setting and as the motor turns the meter will either give a beep or flick over to zero Ohms as the switch makes and breaks. There were however some positioners with variable potentiometers, these look like the volume control pot in a radio. Hope you haven't got one of these as not many receivers drive them ! Good luck !
Regards dmgp

chorleycat
31-05-2009, 12:06 AM
thanks for advice got ti to work east to west. it is a gbox but ti will not go to preprogrammed settings . could i have blown up reed sensor?
if so whereis it , and how would i replace it ?
thanks

hi - halfax -

if its moving east and west ok -- and counting numbers up and own ok
i dont think there is a problem with the sensor -- (i,m sure it would show an error symbol on the display if the sensor was blown or a sensor wire not connected )

i,m not familiar with the g-box positioner mine,s a superjack EZ 6000 but ----

are you sure its storing the positions correctly ? it sounds like it may not be -- i found mine a bit odd to program at first - but ok now that i,v got used to it

regards c.c.