PDA

View Full Version : Early Dm800 cooling

karlpowell
26-05-2009, 12:34 PM
I bought 1 of the first dm800 and installed a fan, it has been sat there working without flaw now for about 12 mths .

I have installed the latest nabilo Image ...do i still need a fan or will it now run a lot cooler without the fan ?

sonic1
26-05-2009, 02:28 PM
In theory the secondstage updates should have helped, but then I am not 100% sure if there have not been some hardware improvements.

My DM800 runs with an internal HDD and no extra cooling.

I do have it well ventilated which I am sure helps but I have had no issues with it.

If I were you maybe leave it alone if it works ok.

therazz
26-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Have been running a DM800 for 11 months now with internal HDD.

Never had any heating issues

karlpowell
26-05-2009, 10:48 PM
OK i have removed the fan and it has been running and recoding a film now without any problems .. ( so far so good)

canthackit
27-05-2009, 05:51 AM
in my case it's not the HDD that runs hot it's the tuner, the HDD runs just fine.

regards: canthackit

karlpowell
30-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Thought I would up date ya on this ...

the fan has been removed now for nearly a week and so far the box has not crashed once , upon touching it .. it does feel a little warm but nothing to write home about .

Karl

loveman
30-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Personally, I decided to keep the fan in mine anyway, even after changing the hdd to one which is meant to create less heat/use less energy etc. Reason for this, the cooler the product will run, the longer it will last imo. I imagine it does work perfectly well with the new drivers/secondstage loader, but personally I prefer to keep mine cooler, as I believe there is less stress on the internal components, so will last longer (as I stated before, just my opinion).