PDA

View Full Version : A few questions.....

Bal
01-06-2009, 03:32 AM
Can someone explain a few things about this box?

1) What Tuner comes with it?
2) Does it do Freesat and I don't mean FTA like on Sly
3) how much are the additional Tuners, which I understand are for Freeview and Cable?
4) If an External harddrive is used, does it have to be FAT32
5) Can this content be streamed to a TV and can it be played back from a PC?
6) Is the support going to be long term for this box?
7) Why this box above the rest?

A friend is interested in it, and I have said, rather than spend £140 odd on a 300gb Freeview box and then get a HD Sat Box, this seems better.

Also they wanted to record the HD content to a Blu-Ray via a PC as it works out cheaper than buying the New Panny FreeSat/Blu-Ray recorder.

Thanks

pr2
01-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Hello,

I will try to answer:

1) The box come with one DVB-S2 tuner, there is 1 free slot for additionnal tuner available.
2) This should be replied by an Azbow owner who watch Freesat, but I think it can Freesat but the EPG is not working yet. DJBlu gave to Azbox the way to implement the Freesat EPG, let hope it will come...
3) Additional Tuner will exist in DVB-S2, DVB-T2, DVB-C2 will be around 59€. But they are not yet available.
4) If you want to record on the external HDD it should be formatted in ext3, but you can read and write also to FAT32 HDD but be carefull that the maximum size of a file in FAT32 is 4 GB which is quite short for HD recording. So the internal formatting of Azbox will format your disk in ext3. The box can also read NTFS disk (not write).
5) Not yet, streaming from the box is not yet implement (planned later on). But the other way is implement you can stream from your PC to the Azbox.
6) Yes we all hope so, the Azbox is done by serious people who beleive in their product so I think that long term support is foreseen.
7) Because it is more than a STB, it is a real multi media player that can output real 1080p, it has a real HDMI, excellent picture quality, it can access the Internet (RSS, HTTP). If you compare the functionnalities of the Azbox Elite/Premium to the competitor you will see that it is the best price/quality/functionnalities.

Files are recorded in .TS format so you can handle them with program that support .TS format, to record them on DVD or Blu-Ray media.

BR,

Pr2

FME_fta
01-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Hi!

From what I saw the prices for DVB-T and DVB-C tuners are all less then 30€, but don't know about DVB-S2 or DVB-C2 tuners.

Regards.

moontan
01-06-2009, 01:57 PM
they were saying 30 euros when box came out, now its 60euros on any site i have seen them listed

Bal
01-06-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks all for posting.

So there is only one option for an additional Tuner? as If they were to get a two which covered cable and Freeview, they would need to keep unplugging one?

The reason i asked about the FAT32 was because I knew of the file limit size, but it was more of a question that, I thought I read somewhere, that you can not use a NTFS drive as it could destroy the box when you switch it on?

In the box format, can that be read on the PC?

I'll try and go through this section of the forum later.

Thanks again

Bal
19-06-2009, 08:44 PM
A little confused.

I see the Tuner's are available now and if my mate wants them , all, can they do that?

They are all around £54, but 59 Euro?

What is the DVB-S2 Tuner for as I thought it came with this already?

Thanks

Mickha
19-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Two tuners should allow you to record one channel while viewing another, depending on the software.

xanadu
19-06-2009, 09:18 PM
A little confused.

I see the Tuner's are available now and if my mate wants them , all, can they do that?

They are all around £54, but 59 Euro?

What is the DVB-S2 Tuner for as I thought it came with this already?

Thanks

One DVB-S2 is included as standard with the Azbox HD.

The tuners are not available yet.

DVB-T & DVB-C Available End of June.

DVB-S2 Available End of Summer.

It's all mentioned on the sponsors website.

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/home.php?cat=51

Bal
19-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Two tuners should allow you to record one channel while viewing another, depending on the software.

Makes sense as I thought it had a double tuner.

This explains why it needs an additional Tuner so you can record one channel and view another.

Thanks for clearing this up.

One DVB-S2 is included as standard with the Azbox HD.

The tuners are not available yet.

DVB-T & DVB-C Available End of June.

DVB-S2 Available End of Summer.

It's all mentioned on the sponsors website.

https://www.goldwafers.co.uk/home.php?cat=51

I know about the sponsors site and thought they were out, but now out of stock from people commenting about them on other post's here.

Can this box only take 2 tuner's or 2 additional to the one which is built in?

My mate wants to get the box when the Tuner's are available, so I can set it up and show them.

Hope they will be available soon.

Thanks

xanadu
19-06-2009, 10:22 PM
Can this box only take 2 tuner's or 2 additional to the one which is built in?

Only 2 tuners can be installed at any time.

Bal
19-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Only 2 tuners can be installed at any time.

So one more ? as one is already built in?

If that is the case and the Digital TV one is £54, it will be cheaper buying a DVR Freeview box.

Then my mate can get a DVB-C.

Thanks

xanadu
19-06-2009, 11:53 PM
So one more ? as one is already built in?

Correct.

goran
20-06-2009, 12:04 AM
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100871
(https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100871:respect-051:)

Bal
20-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the link.

One other question.

If you record something from the Sat Tuner, can you watch something from the Freeview Tuner or C one?

Thanks again

Smudger
20-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Sticking my neck on the line.

I don't think the current official firmware can handle two modules fully yet. The option you mention is the option I'm going to take. Being able to use Sat and Terrestrial. I have every confidence this box will be able to do what we want. I've had my box 3 mth now and it improves every week either via official or enthusiast help. :respect-063:

Smudger

geezerpl
20-06-2009, 01:24 PM
5) Not yet, streaming from the box is not yet implement (planned later on). But the other way is implement you can stream from your PC to the Azbox.

Tried but failed. How to do it ??

pr2
20-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Tried but failed. How to do it ??

Use the search function I can tell you that Neotionbox has created a full tuto with VLC 1.0.0 RC.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=108918&highlight=stream

Pr2

Bal
10-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Still no sign of the Tuners?

Can someone explain how the Freesat channels are separated?

I am still confused on this as the FTA UK channels are on the same Sat as the FreeSat Channels, so how does it show for instance BBC HD and ITV HD on Freesat and the same on FTA Channel listing.

Do you have to do two scans?

Thanks

iko
10-07-2009, 10:56 PM
tell him to buy freesat box cos Linux boxes is not for average users azbox is a box with many bugs at beta stage so better to go for freesat ;)

Bal
10-07-2009, 11:13 PM
tell him to buy freesat box cos Linux boxes is not for average users azbox is a box with many bugs at beta stage so better to go for freesat ;)

The reason in the first place was that this box seemed to do a lot without the need for

1) Freeview Box
2) Freesat Box
3) Sat Box
4) C Box
5) HD capable
6) DVR or PVR

They just want something where they don't have to have a clutter of things like I have.

Out of the list above to save cost as not much difference between the tuner and a Freeview DVR/PVR, that would be the only item they would buy separate.

They just waiting for the Tuners to be available before they commit to this box, to be sure that they have what they need.

Thanks

AJR
10-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Hi Bal

Your mate is going to have a hard time.. maybe it would be better if he / she learnt about linux boxes before jumping in at the deep end and causes you grief when it dosn't do what they want and you have to keep tinkering with it.

As iko has just posted, maybe an easy to use freesat box would be better

Bal
10-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Hi Bal

Your mate is going to have a hard time.. maybe it would be better if he / she learnt about linux boxes before jumping in at the deep end and causes you grief when it dosn't do what they want and you have to keep tinkering with it.

As iko has just posted, maybe an easy to use freesat box would be better

AJR

Maybe but a Freesat HD DVR is around £260 and this box is not much more.

The new Panny's are way too much and they don't pick up FTA Sat unless I wrong?

Are you saying, once I have set it up, I need to keep adding updates to it, when it doesn't need it, unless bugs are apparent?

I'm use to sorting their Xbox with XBMC and that just needs updating if you want the latest plugins.

Just thought once it setup, you don;t need to bother with updates, unless they wanted some addon's?

I'll look around again.

Thanks

goran
11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I beg to differ: https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100872 :respect-051:

Easy-peasy, the simplest of all Linux boxes...

Unless one is stupid and/or lazy...

It seems value for money!!!

Good luck!!!:reddevil:

Bal
11-07-2009, 02:22 AM
I beg to differ: https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100872 :respect-051:

Easy-peasy, the simplest of all Linux boxes...

Unless one is stupid and/or lazy...

It seems value for money!!!

Good luck!!!:reddevil:

Same line I was was thinking and I have been in the this long enough with the support which is needed.

The Panny Freesat HD box with DVD Recorder in £600 and the Humax I was on about is £260 without it doing anything else.

Any news when Tuners maybe out?

Thanks

iko
11-07-2009, 03:45 AM
you will have to update cos azbox works much better with every single update ;)
ofcourse Azbox Great value for money but also pain in the arse if you don't know what you are doing ;)
I'm a fairly happy customer so far but If Opensat will not do the Right move I may sell it :(
Fingers crossed...

FME_fta
11-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Tuners DVB-C (29€) and DVB-T (24€) are now in sale in Portugal for the AZbox HD, [sarcastic mode on] and guess what?
TDT in Portugal (uses MPEG4 AVC) works with the DVB-T tuner in the AZbox HD with the latest firmware (0.9.2371).

Who have guessed that the AZbox HD could actually work with 2 tuners....
[sarcastic mode off]

:rofl:

Regards!

iko
11-07-2009, 02:31 PM
we know it's gonna work one day but nobody knows when :)
T-C not a problem PRoblem is 2xdvb-S2 tuner ;)

radioboy
11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Had an email the other day from another supplier in ireland. He has pictures of the tuner for tv working with RTE....

I received some AZBox DVB-T tuner modules today and I have tested with the AZBox successfuly. The module allows you to receive the RTENL FTA broadcasts and merge program guides seamlessly with your satellite channels.

The unit is plug and play and comes as a module card with a connector cable. The connector cable clips to the card and a spare slot on the motherboard of the box easily. The card slots in neatly with a back fascia that blends with the back off the box with no gaps.

The card has two ports ANT IN and ANT OUT. You can run your DTT aerial feed through the card and then through the RF IN and RF OUT on the box to allow you to retransmit both the DTT signal and the AZBox channel around the house.

The AZBox displays an excellent sharp and rich DVB-T picture equivalent to my Sony W4000 TV. The broadcast signal strengths are down at the moment from RTENL as can bee seen in the pictures below but this had no impact on the reception. With about 55% signal strength there is a perfect 95% signal quality and perfect reception.

Timeshift (live pause) and recording work perfectly as before with the satellite tuner. Currently you can only watch what you are recording but it is noted by the manufacturer that the next priority for the software is to implement watch one channel and record another in the dual tuner setup. I expect this feature to implemented very shortly now that the extra tuners are released.

There are no EPG feeds from RTENL at present as there is some testing underway but I was able to test that the Gaeilge character set is received via the satellite epg info from Sky. The box receives all other EPG feeds fine from satellite sources so I expect no issues with the 7 day feed from RTE when it is broadcasting again.

I,m just waiting for Goldwafers to get them in...
I do however see that in Portugal they are 29E as quoted in another post so why 50 quid plus over here???

Radio

iko
11-07-2009, 03:45 PM
any news about DVB-s2?

goran
11-07-2009, 06:35 PM
You know, many take the mickey they have to wait for the dual Sat TV tuner support...

But when it comes [and it's properly debugged]... we're gonna be laughing...

Big time! At least I will... And I will put the twin LNBs galore up there...

And we're gonna connect a USB HDD to it...

They will eventually make it work 100%!

So, watch this space.... I say! :) :D

FME_fta
11-07-2009, 07:32 PM
If someone have 2 azbox HD he could try to take a DVB-S2 tuner from one azbox and put in the other just for trying.

One azbox will have dual DVB-S2 tuner and he could report here how the azbox behaved with the latest firmware.

We don't need to wait for DVB-S2 tuners on sale to try it.

Regards!

iko
11-07-2009, 07:51 PM
picture in picture is important ;)

BE-COOL
11-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Had an email the other day from another supplier in ireland. He has pictures of the tuner for tv working with RTE....

I received some AZBox DVB-T tuner modules today and I have tested with the AZBox successfuly. The module allows you to receive the RTENL FTA broadcasts and merge program guides seamlessly with your satellite channels.

The unit is plug and play and comes as a module card with a connector cable. The connector cable clips to the card and a spare slot on the motherboard of the box easily. The card slots in neatly with a back fascia that blends with the back off the box with no gaps.

The card has two ports ANT IN and ANT OUT. You can run your DTT aerial feed through the card and then through the RF IN and RF OUT on the box to allow you to retransmit both the DTT signal and the AZBox channel around the house.

The AZBox displays an excellent sharp and rich DVB-T picture equivalent to my Sony W4000 TV. The broadcast signal strengths are down at the moment from RTENL as can bee seen in the pictures below but this had no impact on the reception. With about 55% signal strength there is a perfect 95% signal quality and perfect reception.

Timeshift (live pause) and recording work perfectly as before with the satellite tuner. Currently you can only watch what you are recording but it is noted by the manufacturer that the next priority for the software is to implement watch one channel and record another in the dual tuner setup. I expect this feature to implemented very shortly now that the extra tuners are released.

There are no EPG feeds from RTENL at present as there is some testing underway but I was able to test that the Gaeilge character set is received via the satellite epg info from Sky. The box receives all other EPG feeds fine from satellite sources so I expect no issues with the 7 day feed from RTE when it is broadcasting again.

I,m just waiting for Goldwafers to get them in...
I do however see that in Portugal they are 29E as quoted in another post so why 50 quid plus over here???

Radio

DVB-T tuners for the azbox in Portugal costs 24€, I guess there are a lot of greedy sellers out there...

Cheers.

iko
11-07-2009, 08:16 PM
cheers for that we may do group buy from Portugal ;)
only half price they may even give us an extra discount
what you think :)
I'm not gonna pay double price!!!
PLs do not buy them over uk for £ 50+

radioboy
11-07-2009, 09:27 PM
agree IKO buying from over there does seem a good idea... Looks like we may be being ripped off. When i can go to asda for 19 quid and buy a freeview box.

Radio

iko
12-07-2009, 02:01 AM
agree IKO buying from over there does seem a good idea... Looks like we may be being ripped off. When i can go to asda for 19 quid and buy a freeview box.

Radio
very true:respect-048:
I already have one :respect-059:
I'm gonna wait for DVB-s2 :respect-013:

Taykun
18-07-2009, 07:07 AM
cheers for that we may do group buy from Portugal ;)
only half price they may even give us an extra discount
what you think :)
I'm not gonna pay double price!!!
PLs do not buy them over uk for £ 50+

problem is i cannot find sat shop in portugal that sends to EU (except Spain) and has dvb-t or dvb-c tuner in stock :/
I found one (*******) but it only send to Spain.

gtg60
18-07-2009, 10:51 AM
If someone have 2 azbox HD he could try to take a DVB-S2 tuner from one azbox and put in the other just for trying.

One azbox will have dual DVB-S2 tuner and he could report here how the azbox behaved with the latest firmware.

We don't need to wait for DVB-S2 tuners on sale to try it.

I have 2 AZBox's but won't bother trying to put two tuners into it until the firmware says it can handle it.

AJR
18-07-2009, 12:28 PM
PLs do not buy them over uk

In defence of our forum sponsor

Having dealt with Lee at Goldwafers many times and over many years..

I can assure you all that Lee does not make a vast profit on any item that he sells, a 'fair' margin is added to his costs and that's the price (fair = both to Lee and also to the customer) if an item comes in at trade price in the UK thats higher than in other countries then thats beyond a stockists control.

But one very important thing I must share with you all...

In the past I have purchased goods from outside the uk... and when there have been problems, I have had occasions to just throw them away, as the cost of sending them back (and insuring) was more than the dam item was worth.

So having learnt that lesson the hard way... I will only now buy sat equipment from the uk (cos thats where I live).

Proof of the pudding....

Something I purchased 5 months ago from Goldwafers devolved a fault.

I sent them an email... within 30mins a reply came back asking me to try a couple of things, I tried them, they didnt help so I sent another email.... within 20 mins I received a reply asking for the item to be returned so it can be sorted.

The cost of carrying the guarantee is priceless.

iko
18-07-2009, 01:58 PM
I've got my azbox from them :)
but at the end of the day even if my family can do that double price stuff I can say that's not fair !
I usually buy stuff from HK and Us for the half price of the uk rrp...who cares about guaranty if I have any problem I can order another one ;)
you are right everything expensive in Uk...
good luck to our site sponsor...
I do recommend them to anyone...
very fast service ;)
but I can't afford to pay double price ...
if you do I do respect that good for you :)
p.s is there any special offer on azbox hd cos some sellers gives free T tuner ;)

goran
18-07-2009, 04:21 PM
In defence of our forum sponsor

Having dealt with Lee at Goldwafers many times and over many years..

I can assure you all that Lee does not make a vast profit on any item that he sells, a 'fair' margin is added to his costs and that's the price (fair = both to Lee and also to the customer) if an item comes in at trade price in the UK thats higher than in other countries then thats beyond a stockists control.

But one very important thing I must share with you all...

In the past I have purchased goods from outside the uk... and when there have been problems, I have had occasions to just throw them away, as the cost of sending them back (and insuring) was more than the dam item was worth.

So having learnt that lesson the hard way... I will only now buy sat equipment from the uk (cos thats where I live).

Proof of the pudding....

Something I purchased 5 months ago from Goldwafers devolved a fault.

I sent them an email... within 30mins a reply came back asking me to try a couple of things, I tried them, they didnt help so I sent another email.... within 20 mins I received a reply asking for the item to be returned so it can be sorted.

The cost of carrying the guarantee is priceless.

I rarely differ from you, m8. But this time I have to.

When New Labia :D came to power they found running of the cartels in the UK, left, right and centre... NOT saying this is he case here. I am talking on the level of principles! :)

Now, I am not the one to defend anyone uncritically!!! :D But the New Labia did a few things right. One of them was to abolish discriminating by the manufacturers against the sellers/retailers who dare go under RRP.

Any country needs this! Sweden [where I live now], UK - any country. For the consumer, also!

Nothing against Lee! Boy, he is here for a long time and he needs to have his rewards!

But "fairness" means it should be both ways.

If one gets AZbox HD at 50 or 60% of the retail value - I think they can afford to lower the prices to the EU level. Otherwise, net has changed things...

Don't you think?

AJR
18-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I rarely differ from you, m8. But this time I have to.

Your always welcome to differ... but I don't think you are differing.

I think they can afford to lower the prices to the EU level

Only if our sponsor is being supplied the box (inc shipping) at the same price thats available to the discount suppliers in the rest of the EU ???

Its easy to purchase cheaper from an electronics manufacturer by buying in bulk and also buying out the guarantee, thus having to honour any work under guarantee from your own profits.. maybe Lee has his head screwed on properly and was unwilling to carry the risk.

However.. its a free market and the consumer always has the choice

Caveat emptor and also Caveat venditor both apply.

Bal
14-08-2009, 04:38 AM
Any sign of these Tuners?

:confused:

Bal
27-08-2009, 02:46 AM
I see they finally available?

Anyone tried these and what are the results?

Thanks

Bal
15-09-2009, 06:21 PM
They decided to go with the Humax HDR for the moment.

It does FreeSat and also allows other options.

Works fine with the Diab cam and records.

Will look at this box later, when the new tuner have been about for a while.

AJR
15-09-2009, 06:36 PM
They decided to go with the Humax HDR

Great receiver for freesat.... but a right royal pain in the ar*s in non-freesat mode.

Bal
15-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Great receiver for freesat.... but a right royal pain in the ar*s in non-freesat mode.

Not had any issues so far?

Will test other features at the week end.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showpost.php?p=654699&postcount=9

Also, they still gonna go for the AZ, but at a later date.

joopajaa
15-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Only thing I know is I can watch another channel from same mux while recording with one dvb-c tuner (I have no dish).

AJR
16-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Not had any issues so far?

If any recordings / timers are set up for freesat then there are problems if its time for the recording to start and you are in non freesat mode., I seem to remember that non freesat mode won't allow planed recordings.. (instant only)

Setting it to do an instant record in non freesat mode, then going to freesat mode caused the recording to fail.

Dig Deep
16-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Sometimes You guys get so excited over ANY sat problem that You forgot in what thread You are posting.:rant:

:respect-055:

AJR
16-09-2009, 11:36 PM
guys

Just replying that deciding against the AZbox is not necessary a good move..

Different box, different problems

As Bal was the original poster of this thread then its got to be forgiveable if he gets a incy wincy tiny bit of his topic.

Bal
16-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Sometimes You guys get so excited over ANY sat problem that You forgot in what thread You are posting.:rant:

:respect-055:

Just replying that deciding against the AZbox is not necessary a good move..

Different box, different problems

As Bal was the original poster of this thread then its got to be forgiveable if he gets a incy wincy tiny bit of his topic.

For you information, it's why i posted a link to th eother post in the correct thread, relating to the Humaz HDR.

Also, it isn't that much off topic, I was simply saying, my mate waited a while until the tuners were released and other's here, have already talked about other boxes and options, so it was still inline with that.

Again, I was simply saying, for the moment, my mate has gone for the Humaz until, issues and prices of Tuners are sorted. Freeview or FreeSat Tuner for nearer £60 seems a lot, when you can buy standalone boxes for that much.

So far, they have had no issues with the Humax as AJR has come across. There setup is a disecq and I will test further at the weekend and post in the other thread.

So far the AZ box isn't for them, but will be later.

AJR
17-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Also, it isn't that much off topic

I concur..

Maybe our old m8 Dig Deep was posting in the wrong thread :rofl: