PDA

View Full Version : formatting application area....

iko
07-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Hi guys
I'm just wondering do we have to format app.area everytime we install new Fw?
I've upgraded from 2032 to the latest unofficial fw with no app.area formatted but the box works perfectly fine...
so what's the point of formatting that area?
thanx in advance

goran
07-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Apparently to kill the previous settings and NOT take with them the old problems into the new FW, when you are changing it.

Not doing it on purpose is a good possibility. You keep all the channels, EMU's, plug-ins, settings - it remains the same after the FW upgrade.

But the formatting isn't actually working as it should, I think.

I was just gonna suggest something more thorough, whereby one would really delete everything and then install afresh.

For instance, as I mentioned in the new FW thread - I created a new folder Home, for Total Commander to log into [its default mode of logging into a box and without it you may have problems].

After about 5 different FW's it's always there and I always delete everything, format the application area, go to factory defaults after an upgrade.

So, the Q is: what's the point, if it isn't doing whatever it's for?:confused:

pr2
08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
Hello,

User complains that the password and settings are deleted so they change the way Format Application Area has been changed to keep the user settings (User Area).

Personally I disagree with this choice since when we do a Format we expect that everything is deleted to really start from scratch, and it is no longer the case.

I can understand that doing a USB upgrade without formatting keep the settings but I was expecting that doing a Format bring me back the box like when I first start it.

Pr2

zeini
08-06-2009, 12:41 PM
Hi pr2!

I think this is really a feature not a bug.

If you will bring back the box like when it first start, you have to make Factory setting in Setup - Data Reset.

iko
08-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Another Day has over still no problem Here :)
So I reckon It's not really Must do ;)

pr2
08-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Hi pr2!

I think this is really a feature not a bug.

If you will bring back the box like when it first start, you have to make Factory setting in Setup - Data Reset.

Hello,

Indeed it is a feature now, but before it was not working that way... and I prefer how it was working before...

Normal upgrade is via Internet or via USB with direct upgrade.

Special upgrade is via USB and format application area.

In case of problem I would like to have a Format All menu that will clean both application and user space.

I am thinking also to people (technician) that will make support and will need to access the box.
How will they access the reset to factory default if the end-user set a PIN Code protection on the menu and change the default root password? etc...

We must think of people that will do the 1st line support for the box. ;-)

Before it was easy, you can drive the end-user by phone toward the procedure to do to reset and you will know exactely the setup and the default password after the procedure...

People often set set a PIN Code on device just for fun (or protect against children access) then later on they forgot the password they set... forum have always that kind of request: how to reset forgotten PIN Code.

Pr2

goran
08-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I agree!

However, as I mentioned earlier, it was not a COMPLETE delete, this Format application area. AS I explained, I had difficulties logging in with TC, so I created a Hone folder via PuTTy. It was never erased, over at least 4 - 5 FW changes, which were always done with Format application area method + Reset to factory defaults etc.

So, it seems to me that we do not have the complete erase funcion for a while now, if ever...

And it would be good to have one, as I also wouldn't like to carry over mistakes and bad settings with plug-ins over to a new installation if I do not want to!

So, give us that [FULL!] function [Format application area 1000%!!!], please!!!:respect-051:

pr2
08-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Hello,

Not totally right, the fact is that some early firmware forget to create the folder (don't ask me the number I don't remember), so after format application area the folder gets delete and not created again. But in one of the next firmware this was solved.

This not folder creation was escalated to dev and fixed, so it is normal that you have the folder created again because it is now part of the firmware. So you cannot conclude on the previous format application area behaviour based on this. I think that this new Format area beahvior came with firmware 0.9.2032 once they state in the release note that the user password is no longer deleted.

Pr2

Dig Deep
09-06-2009, 07:41 AM
So, what do You do if (and when) You mess up the pw and canīt remember it ??

The easy way was to use an USB and start from scratch :king-041:

goran
09-06-2009, 08:04 AM
I am not sure I understand your point or points, pr2...

Recently I had a case [on Sat-Plus forum] when a user "grle" stated he couldn't log in with TC. Asked for help. I gave him the same advice, to create a folder. It solved the issue. So, I am not sure what you say is 100% correct.

What do you mean exactly, please? Do you have any proof this Home Folder is now a part of the FW deliberately? Because he was on one of the latest FWs, when this problem occurred.

geezerpl
09-06-2009, 06:56 PM
How do you actually do it guys ? I don't see it in the Menu...

hanswurscht
09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
you need USB Stick with firmware on it, there is the Menue, when you reboot with USB Stick