PDA

View Full Version : Deciding which HD Receiver to go for?

donQ
20-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Currently have Dreambox 7000 and am looking to get an HD box. DB 8000 is far too expensive, so I wondered about the AZBox?

I like Dreambox and can find my way around it and it's problems if they occur, quite well now. Is AZBox similar or vastly different to a DB? Would it be quite easy to make the switch?

I've read about other receivers in discussions, but AZBox seems to have a lot going for it, especially the support.

Would appreciate some helpful comments, thanks in advance.

don

terrorman
20-06-2009, 02:21 PM
DM if you know the AZ you will be very easy, much work remains to be done, but I'm sure the hardware is good and reasonably priced for current times

pr2
20-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Hello,

I think that you will not have problem to switch from DM to Azbox.
They are both linux boxes, once you know where the files go you are ready to start with.

Support is improving every day, the more end-user we have the better support we get since we can help each other.

Azbox is a great piece of hardware and software.

Pr2

iko
20-06-2009, 03:20 PM
but if you want good cs DM for sure if ripper not release new cccam for azbox ;)

The_Ripper
20-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I will release it ....

goran
20-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Aha, sorted...:woohoo-022::gnorsi: OKI... ;) :)

:respect-051:

robins69
20-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Thank you The_Ripper, we are expecting your release, good work.

Regards.

I will release it ....

iko
20-06-2009, 04:05 PM
Bless you The Ripper ;)
you are a star dude pls don't leave us alone :D

sami8519
20-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks The Ripper.

dveras
20-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I hope it arrives soon!
Thanks...

Friendly-Face
20-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I will release it ....

for the post starter. you can easly buy Azbox and live DM with no worries at all
you will be fine and will learn Azbox in not time, there is not much direrence in this boxes
Azbox is very good, have few things to be sorted out, but as the work is going on things looks good
if you need CCcam directly , then i will say wait a bit more and see what Azbox will handle, as today that is not possible on this box

@ The_Riper aka Mover.

Could you please clarify one thing for me and the majority of members that have byed Azbox HD.

Are you reliasing an CCcam version similar to CCcam from Dreambox
or are you reliasing some sort of CCcam but not a real one like the DM one

i will be very intrested to know this one personaly, and im sure there is so much confusion here and else where about this.

the way i see it, you do not have the source code of CCcam ,
the way i see it, you are building some thing similar to Incubuscamd for IPboxes .

Please answer as good as you can.

ps: Mbox rules :respect-061:

The_Ripper
20-06-2009, 05:16 PM
No I dont have the source of the cccam nor I am the member of cccam team.
I just extract part of the cccam protocol from binary code and made cccam client.
So it's as Incubuscamds.

dveras
20-06-2009, 05:21 PM
but your version are working with DM and newest cccam verison?

iko
20-06-2009, 05:26 PM
PLS PLS release the New Very promising one this weekend :D
I reckon This upcoming one will be the best so far ;)

sami8519
20-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Is it going to be released tonight? so that I dont check every 10 minutes hahaha.

dveras
20-06-2009, 05:40 PM
Be patient, when they consider to be released they will do...
hope soon... but only the programmers will know.

goran
20-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I just extract part of the cccam protocol from binary code and made cccam client.
So it's as Incubuscamds.

Echhhh.... And yet another porky we were told is gone to thin air...:rolleyes:

Thanx for the first hand info, Ripper! That quashes rumours best!:respect-051:

Btw, is CCcam server for AZbox HD on the cards or not?

valerica
20-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Pre-release of ccc is working with 2.1.1 - tested by me , so the next/beta release should work 2 .

Cheers ,
Val .

iko
20-06-2009, 06:28 PM
@valerica
the one you've tested works with multiple clines or again one cline only?
cheers

Friendly-Face
20-06-2009, 06:44 PM
So it's as Incubuscamds.

Thank you very much for a clearly answer mate.
Now im more relaxed, and will not belive what other says.
Im hapy with my box as it is now, but an CCcam Clinet is welcome, so i can use my LAN settup.

Im happy with Mbox and newcs combination, but CCcam Client is welcome.

@ Others that moan about the upcoming CCC from The Ripper.
be patiente , do not moan so much , we know there is a man bihind this
and he needs time for sure, he is here, he is answering us, so give the man some space.

valerica
20-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Only 1 , m8 .

Cheers .

donQ
20-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks to all the posters that responded to my query.

I'm going to get an AZbox HD as you have made it sound irresistible, and a good replacement to my Dreambox. Support seems to be very good. Thanks a lot.:respect-applause-00

It seems that this post has now gone in another direction, and The Ripper has become a very popular guy with his pledge for cccam! ;)

aqa
20-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Only 1 , m8 .

Cheers .

not looking good

MACA1965
20-06-2009, 07:29 PM
cccam when when when when when when when when

The_Ripper
20-06-2009, 07:59 PM
@aqa
Can you somehow give me more free time so I can add multi server support just for you ?

Again thread goes on wrong side ...

sami8519
20-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Please guys show appreciation for the man work, instead of moaning. Thanks alot the Ripper.

Aragos
23-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Currently have Dreambox 7000 and am looking to get an HD box. DB 8000 is far too expensive, so I wondered about the AZBox?

Same situation here. :)

It's not easy to choose between Azbox HD, Q-Box HD or even Coolstream HD1.
But I've read so many people are disappointed about Q-Box HD because software seems to be in alpha stage.

What's important for me:

1. Does the Premiere nagra card finally works with an emu without any freezers or other problems (HD channels too)?

2. I've heard there are problems regarding time-shift. Is it true you can't start watching a movie 10 min. later while recording so you have to wait until recording stopped? - I think I've read it in the manual.
How about time-shift with encrypted channels?
Or could I use time-shift just like I know it from Dreambox?

3. Are there still problems viewing/recording (enrypted) HD channels and playback these recordings?

4. I can't use optical audio so I need sound from TV through HDMI. I've read there are some problems. Is the sound working with HD channels, HD videos and channels with ac3 sound through HDMI now?

Thank you! :king-041:

pr2
23-06-2009, 08:47 AM
2. I've heard there are problems regarding time-shift. Is it true you can't start watching a movie 10 min. later while recording so you have to wait until recording stopped? - I think I've read it in the manual.
How about time-shift with encrypted channels?
Or could I use time-shift just like I know it from Dreambox?

3. Are there still problems viewing/recording (enrypted) HD channels and playback these recordings?

Thank you! :king-041:

Hello,

I cannot answer for sure to point 1 & 4 so I skip them.

2. You missread the manual, what is say is that if you start recording a channel and activate timeshift at the same time with a PCMCIA module the timeshift will be in clear and the recorded program will be recorded encrypted.

BUT, this is only a limitation when you use a PCMCIA module, if you use another emu (mgcamd) (like most of us do) you don't have this limitation.

So with emu (only mgcamd so far) you can activate timeshift and record a program without any problem. Timeshift needs to be activated and then it is permanant, it records everything you watch and you can pause rewind fastforward in the timeshift.

3. No with mgcamd everything is working fines, other emu CCCam/Mbox are quite new on the Azbox and are improving so at the end, yes they will support everything you need to use 100% of your Azbox.

Remember that Azbox is a quite young box on the market, but even if the firmware claims to be a béta version it is already stable and usable (I am currentely testing 0.9.2371 which seems good).
So the emu are still under development for the Azbox too.

Pr2

goran
23-06-2009, 09:56 AM
1. Does the Premiere nagra card finally works with an emu without any freezers or other problems (HD channels too)?

I heard so, yes... But we need a confirmation from the German AZbox HD support forum... :D

Apparently, it's still not working as it should/could.

Different EMUs different problems.

But people/coders are learning, driver/API/FW is improving, so it's reasonable to expect that to work within a month or two, it seems to me...

It would be quite disappointing to find this on a "to do" list after this time, when we are supposed to get FW 1.0. ;)

4. I can't use optical audio so I need sound from TV through HDMI. I've read there are some problems. Is the sound working with HD channels, HD videos and channels with ac3 sound through HDMI now?

Yes. No probs. Tested all the possibilties, all fine!

I only use HDMI, going into a Home Theatre, together with a BluRay player and then 1 HDMI cable going into the plasma TV. All Panasonic. Brill!!!:respect-051:

goran
23-06-2009, 10:40 AM
ceyer could help with Premiere, methinx... ;) :)

Aragos
25-06-2009, 05:44 AM
Thank you guys! :)

About 1 & 4.:

It seems there are still problems, especially with Premiere HD concerning the sound through HDMI etc.
Does Azbox has problems with Dolby Digital?

People say other HD channels no problems with sound through HDMI.

2. You missread the manual, what is say is that if you start recording a channel and activate timeshift at the same time with a PCMCIA module the timeshift will be in clear and the recorded program will be recorded encrypted.

BUT, this is only a limitation when you use a PCMCIA module, if you use another emu (mgcamd) (like most of us do) you don't have this limitation.

So with emu (only mgcamd so far) you can activate timeshift and record a program without any problem. Timeshift needs to be activated and then it is permanant, it records everything you watch and you can pause rewind fastforward in the timeshift.

OK, forget about the permanent timeshift for a while, I guess I won't use it anyway.
Imagine I set a timer on a PayTV channel (internal card) and the recording starts but I came 10 min. later and want to see the movie from the beginning now without waiting until recording has finished.
My question is:
Can I rewind and start watching from the beginning, then pause for a break, then watch further etc. without stopping the recording, just like I know it from Dreambox?

Will the recording be saved decrypted then or are there any problems?

3. No with mgcamd everything is working fines, other emu CCCam/Mbox are quite new on the Azbox and are improving so at the end, yes they will support everything you need to use 100% of your Azbox.

But mgcamd doesn't support smartcards, right? It should be MgCamd with NewCS.

There are yet another important points for me:

5. Which CI CAMs are supported right now? I know Alphacrypt should work but are there any others?
I know my Diablocam won't work, it seems to be a big problem.
Are there really any hardware limits so Diablocam never will work on AzBox HD?
Or is there a good chance that software will support Diablocam one day?

6. How fast is the LAN speed in real (Mbit)?
I've often read ftp transfer to internal HDD is really slow and you can't upload big files?!

Thank you again! ;)

tinos
25-06-2009, 09:19 AM
6. How fast is the LAN speed in real (Mbit)?
I've often read ftp transfer to internal HDD is really slow and you can't upload big files?!

I did some tests with firmware 0.9.2032 (older than current) and found out that Ethernet is currently limited found transfer speeds to be on AzBox Elite:

Transf. USB ext (Sandisk Cruzer 8GB)
253MB/43s -> 5,9MB/s -> 47Mbps

Transf. NFS ethernet (ReadyNAS Duo)
253MB/47s -> 5,4MB/s -> 43Mbps

Those numbers show that transfer speed via Ethernet is very similar to using USB (Sandisk Cruzer Extreme speed is 25MB/s so firmware is limit factor on both)

ukpaisley
25-06-2009, 06:44 PM
The dual tuner for the price should be considered when looking at this box. Compare to DM the AZbox looks very good , especialy as multi media box, youtube, stream off PC and mp3 ect. ect.

Aragos
26-06-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks, tinos!

So you only could test it with external drives.

Anyone can say something about speed with premium and internal HDD?

It seems like it's as slow as ftp transfer with old Dreambox 7000.

How about the rumor you can't transfer large files through ftp on internal HDD?

Aragos
01-07-2009, 03:50 AM
No one?

Still some open questions here ...

pr2, can you answer the questions I've asked you?

Is there someone out there who can give some answers to point 5.?

Thank you! :)

pr2
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
Here are some answers:

No you cannot use your current recording program has kind of timeshift, while recording the program doesn't appears in the recorded program list so you cannot play it.

Recorded programs are decrypted (at least if you use emu).

Yes if you want to use mgcamd and read the card locally on the Azbox you need to use NewCS.

For CI Cams the official Viaccess seems to works and the Seca/mediaguard too but I don't know for the other CAM.

The latest transfert I perform let me think that the transfert rate is limited to 30 Mbps. On both LAN and USB.

Pr2

Aragos
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Thank you very much, pr2! That's very kind of you. :respect-059:

No you cannot use your current recording program has kind of timeshift, while recording the program doesn't appears in the recorded program list so you cannot play it.

OK. So that means you always have to wait until recording stopped before you can watch your last recording?

Or is there maybe a possibility to rewind during watching and recording like on Dreambox?
In this case you wouldn't need to see the recording list. ;)

pr2
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Hello,

You understand it right you need to wait for the recording to end before being able to watch it and then you can use FF, RW RCU buttons.

I just test to record and press the RW button and nothing happened...

Pr2

paul01609
01-07-2009, 06:58 PM
just recived this box today and its great already flashed running cccam and connecting to my m8s very happy

Aragos
01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Hello,

You understand it right you need to wait for the recording to end before being able to watch it and then you can use FF, RW RCU buttons.

I just test to record and press the RW button and nothing happened...

Pr2

Ah, OK. Thanks for testing it. :)

Now I know there is no way to do that. I hope this will be possible some day cause it's an important feature to me. ;)