PDA

View Full Version : A few questions before purchase

chrisuk76
08-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Ok, nearly ready to buy, although still not sure if this box will ever deliver what I want, but its pulling me at present and there is nothing close to it a the moment, so what the hell.

My questions are:-

1) I am planning a NAS drive were I can stores all my MKV TV & Movie files (scence releases). Will the AZBox playback these files including 1080p material and large file sizes like over 8 gig over my wired network?

2) Will the AZBox playback 1080p 24p MKV files ok on my TV which supports this? I am sure I read this somewhere?

3) I am also planning on installing an internal HDD in the AZbox for recording to, I am think a WD Green 500 gig. Is this a good drive to go for and will the size be suffice?

4) Does anyone used a NAS device ok with the AZBox, as I heard some of them do not have great transfer speeds which I guess will have an effect on question 1?

5) Do you think that Opensat will ever have any prescence with support on this or any other forums?

Cheers

pr2
08-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Hello,

1) Yes

2) 24p I don't know

3) I don't know why but some people gets trouble with WD and Seagate HDD, personally I am using a 1 TB Samsung, works fine and is silent.

4) There is problem in the driver provided by Sigma Design so Azbox has to throttle the bandwidth to aroung 30 Mbps. So probably enough to read most of the MKV files but indeed it tooks time to fill in the internal HDD. This is a temporary limitation but not linked to Opensat but to sigma design.

5) Opensat has many representative on all the main forums and they escal information to them.
Moreover you can yourself report bug and ask for improvement via:

http://azbox.com/technicalsupport.php

Hope this help to convince you that Azbox is the right choice.

Pr2

chrisuk76
09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the reply.

So I will fit a Samsung 1TB internal HDD. So if I do this, I will be able to playback all kinds of MKV files from the internal drive, then eventually when they fix the transfer rates, I can then add the NAS?

Cheers

iko
09-07-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm watching mkv films with a simple 2.5" USB hdd drive!!!
don't worry about it ...

xanadu
09-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm watching mkv films with a simple 2.5" USB hdd drive!!!
don't worry about it ...

That's the best way to do it at the moment, as it takes about 3 days just to copy a 1080p movie to the internal HDD. :coolgleamA:

iko
09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
LOL
I didn't know that My one is Elite Usb only
Cheers ;)

chrisuk76
09-07-2009, 11:15 PM
That's the best way to do it at the moment, as it takes about 3 days just to copy a 1080p movie to the internal HDD. :coolgleamA:

So, then I am better getting a NAS drive that can be connected by USB as well? Does something like this exist, as not too clued up on NAS devices?

Cheers

tinos
09-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Right now using USB versus NFS via Ethernet (NAS) gives same transfer speed. So I would go the NAS way if you can. Or use PC to share files.

chrisuk76
11-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Right now using USB versus NFS via Ethernet (NAS) gives same transfer speed. So I would go the NAS way if you can. Or use PC to share files.

Which Nas are you using, as want to get one that works well with the AZBox?

Cheers

tinos
12-07-2009, 12:37 AM
I am using a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo... but anyone with NFS support should work great. If there is no NFS you can still use CIFS/SMB (Samba). But NFS is a lot more efficient and light... no need to load all samba config...