PDA

View Full Version : HD content over ethernetwork

Giga
14-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Tested DNLA over 100 Mbps cat5 cable and switch yesterday with a LE40B650 Samsung on XP PC with SAMSUNG PC Share Manager, what a disappointment no flowing HD movie content: loading, playing a bit, loading a bit playing: very annoying.
So did some more testing today. Used a cat6 crossover cable and connected the pc directly to the LE40B650 and play this file again and wow it played and with sound without stopping. Conclussion: not my PC was to slow it was the network that was to slow at 100 Mbps at 1 Gbps it runned smoothly even the HD TRP (converted to TS) recordings from the TM6900HD Super did run without a problem!
:respect-046:
Check your computer specification on the networkadaptor, most computers have the last years a 1Gbps networkport fitted. If you have the correct networkcable CAT6 and your HDTV has network possibilities this is the way to test this!

PC info: Pentium 4 530
file info: 1920 x 1080 pixels, bitrate 5288 Kbps, Format: VC-1, Format profile: MP@HL
so i'm up to replacing my network cables and switch up to 1 Gbps specs.

Gone_Fishing
14-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Gigabit lan is a good idea for full HD but 100 Mbps can cope quite well with most stuff, if you put SWI on your pc and go to Network > Network Traffic your be able to see how much bandwidth its actually using :)

SWI is a standalone so doesn't need to be installed its handy little app to have anyway

_http://www.gtopala.com/

Giga
14-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Gigabit lan is a good idea for full HD but 100 Mbps can cope quite well with most stuff, if you put SWI on your pc and go to Network > Network Traffic your be able to see how much bandwidth its actually using :)

SWI is a standalone so doesn't need to be installed its handy little app to have anyway

_http://www.gtopala.com/
The test file is included it is over STB HD specification. Just interested to know if my findings are correct and it does not play over 100 Mbps network full duplex? as you would think it should do? It is only a 5Mbps stream with a 256Kbps audio stream?

Gone_Fishing
14-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry didn't realize you were asking a question :)

I just tried your file above using DLNA to TV over a 100 Mbps lan and it played fine for me, I was using SimpleCenter on the PC as the DLNA server

I found Nero and SimpleCenter to be the best DLNA servers, Nero supports TS files SimpleCenter doesn't although I'm pretty sure nero trashed my USB HDD

There's a good article here on DLNA servers

_http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

PC only has AMD 3500+ 2.21GHz :respect-051:

TNT

Amnesiac
31-08-2009, 01:14 AM
If you connect your TV to a 1GB capable switch what speed does the switch indicate?
My TV only seems to have 100MB LAN connection - which is perfectly adequate for HD with 6ch sound btw.
If you are experiencing problems with HD content from a server it could be transcoding (and on a slow cpu that will stutter) or your network could be (but ought not to be) full - in which case a check with a packet sniffer is probably in order.

Giga
31-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Found out the 100 Mbps switch was defective and the LE40B650 port is indeed only 100Mbps. Meanwhile there was also a firmware upgrade for the LE40B650. Have now 1Gbps homenetwork in place, and have now some headroom left over on this network.