PDA

View Full Version : Tuner or software quality?

oldfart
23-07-2009, 11:17 AM
If I look at the signal strength from a tp on the DM then compare the same with a Vantage 8000HD, the Vantage shows signal strength of over 80%, whereas the DM will be about 60%. Is this a hardware or software issue?
The DM consistantly fails to pick up some weaker tp's

Giga
23-07-2009, 11:29 AM
If you use the same LNB and not with loop-through , they get both the same signal. Hardware and Software deceide what will open with what quallity. It is only an indication for that receiver to have an idea what would be a good signal. On a loop-through you could get signal loss from 1st box to the 2nd box. switch the boxes on the LNB lead and loop-through and see if that helps?

oldfart
23-07-2009, 03:29 PM
The tuners/boxes are not linked - I meant (and obviously did not communicate effectively) as a comparison - the DM's tuners don't seem to behave as well as a Vantage.

satwyn
23-07-2009, 03:46 PM
different receivers will show varoius signal levels from the same dish lnb setup dreambox tuners in the past are known to be lets say poor with weak transponders

dave3dg
23-07-2009, 03:59 PM
If I look at the signal strength from a tp on the DM then compare the same with a Vantage 8000HD, the Vantage shows signal strength of over 80%, whereas the DM will be about 60%. Is this a hardware or software issue?
The DM consistantly fails to pick up some weaker tp's

I had a Technomate TM5500 before my 7020 Dreambox and the first thing I noticed was the difference of signal twixt the two. The inability with the DB to lock onto less than 60% sig qual was quite marked but I have to say that generally on the Sats I use 28E - 30W it made little difference other than the odd sports feed here and there.

dave.

xanadu
23-07-2009, 06:52 PM
If I look at the signal strength from a tp on the DM then compare the same with a Vantage 8000HD, the Vantage shows signal strength of over 80%, whereas the DM will be about 60%.

The signal indicators on domestic receivers are not calibrated scientific instruments.

They are just a guide to give you some indication of signal strength and quality.

For that reason every receiver will be different.