PDA

View Full Version : Best dish for 1w nwest uk?????

notmyrealname
26-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Hi,
I have been asked to set up a fixed dish for 1 west for a rumanian friend who wants digi tv. I will be supplying the box -my old patched tm 1500 and I will keep it up to date.
However she wants as small a dish that will work reliably near Blackpool.
I was thinking about the Triax 78cm (80cm) dish with a good 0.2 lnb (MTI ,sharp or similar).
Digi on 1west is very strong on my 1m dish so I think the Triax 78 would be ok but I dont want it losing signal when it rains. Would this dish be ok for this westerly location or should I insist on a 90 cm dish.
All advice appreciated,
regards,
nmrn

satpaul
26-07-2009, 06:56 PM
The Triax 78cm is not a very good performing dish the orbital 80cm works better even the ISS 80cm is better than the Triax the only ones worse are Metronix and Televes, The Fortec Star 90cm is not bad look in The C.P.C. Catalogue its on offer

williamtell
26-07-2009, 07:02 PM
i tried a zone2 sky dish in my workshop with a meter for thor 1west and could not get it although a neighbour has a tree close by??, its one of the highest sats or so i,m told, i usually set this bird to centre of arc when setting limits on my motorised think you may need at least a 0.9 or better still 1m over there in the nwest, i,m n/notts.

skomedal
26-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Sorry that I ask as your stb is unknown/unfamiliar to me but can your old patched tm 1500 decode nagra3 when that time comes?

Regards & respect

AJR
26-07-2009, 07:10 PM
A zone 2 should be fine... however there is a square'ish 85 that because of its shape looks smaller than it really is and gives better gain than an 80 (using one myself a bit further north than the north west.

Glenn_911
26-07-2009, 07:10 PM
That depend on how much you like to spend for a dish ?

plastered
26-07-2009, 09:25 PM
wave frontier 55 works well in manchester you can get 4 _5 sats on this little dish

wod
26-07-2009, 09:32 PM
one of them fraccaro penta dishes 85cm will do 1west fine for the digitv channels

notmyrealname
26-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.
I have not been on these forums much lately due to the death of my mother recently.

Is the transfer of Digi tv to nagra 3 imminent or planned.
I thought the Triax dishes were good quality - seems I was wrong. MY 1m dish is a Gibertini and this even pulls in Nilesat verticals and Amos2. I may order her a Gibertini 80 cm with a good LNB surely this would suffice for 1W in 99% of weather conditions or WOULD IT ???????????
regards,
Michael.

dishdad
27-07-2009, 08:12 AM
I have not been on these forums much lately due to the death of my mother recently.
I thought the Triax dishes were good quality - seems I was wrong.
regards, Michael.

Sorry to hear of the sad loss of you mother.

Will say that this is probably the first time that I have read/heard of a Triax described as 'is not a very good performing dish'....quite the reverse in fact.

I was given one years ago and whilst not one of my fixed dishes, is used on a regular basis to pull in week feed frequencies as its reception gain is superior to dishes of a comparable size. Perhaps those manufactured these days are not up to the same standard. Many folk here use a Triax so hopefully you will receive other members thoughts.

Best wishes to you. 36103

satpaul
27-07-2009, 10:00 AM
I fit them for a living so I know whats good and whats not there are many better perfoming 80cm dishes than 78 Triax the 88cm is also poor the Gibertini 85cm is miles better that even gets JSC on 26 east and MBC the Triax does not, I even got JSC on 26 east on a fortec star 90cm dish the Triax 110 does not perform as good as the Orbital 1 metre

Rick1980
27-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I fit them for a living so I know whats good and whats not there are many better perfoming 80cm dishes than 78 Triax the 88cm is also poor the Gibertini 85cm is miles better that even gets JSC on 26 east and MBC the Triax does not, I even got JSC on 26 east on a fortec star 90cm dish the Triax 110 does not perform as good as the Orbital 1 metre

If the TD110 does not perform as well as an Orbital 1m you haven't set it up right. I have a TD110 and get 26e MBC's no problem, and they are harder than JSC. I also scrape a couple of verticals on 7w enough to scan the channels in, but dont get a picture. I guarantee you can't do that on an Orbital 1m.

I have had 1w on a zone 2, but there was a bit of rain fade. An 80cm should be plenty.

AJR
27-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I fit them for a living so I know whats good

Likewise :D

I will repeat my self once more...

. however there is a square'ish 85 that because of its shape looks smaller than it really is and gives better gain than an 80

On price and performance it wins in its size class

Retail price: £28.38 inc vat but p&p is extra, due to forum rules and with respect to Goldwafers, I can not post a link.

notmyrealname
27-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes I guess you mean the Fracarro Penta 85 so i guess its a toss up between this and a 80 or 85 Gibertini. I will shop around for the best price,
regards,
Michael.

AJR
27-07-2009, 06:33 PM
Yes I guess you mean the Fracarro Penta 85

No

Check your pm box

skomedal
27-07-2009, 06:44 PM

Is the transfer of Digi tv to nagra 3 imminent or planned.
regards,
Michael.

Sorry to hear about your loss!

Digitv has already begun with the change to nagra3, film1 has now changed to this today...

The balkans states are having new cards issued to all the countries there, but it takes time, so maybe by christmas ( rumoured ) this year all digitv channels go to nagra3.

Regards

skomedal
27-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Sorry false alarm this time..

But changes are due!

Regards