PDA

View Full Version : Best external USB device for 6900combo super

Bentex
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
What is the best option for the PVR. A USB stick or external HDD?
Which option do you use and how satisfied are you with it?

I was going to by an external HDD but I heard that there are some problems because they are powered by a different source.

joany
04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a tn6900 super combo and an external drive(s).

I bought a 1.5tb ext seagate drive and there is a problem with the drive going to sleep and not recording when requested to. There are postings saying the problem can be solved but I havent solved it yet.

However there is another option I know works. I have an ecternal drive (125Gb) usb drive. Its simply a laptop drive (pata cost £40) fitted inside an external drive caddy (about £5 off eeebaaay). this works every time. I think its because it doesnt have its own power supply but draws it from usb.

good luck

Bentex
04-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the tip.

So it's best to get an HDD that is powered just by the USB.

What about the Western Digital 'Passport' drives? Would that be an ideal solution? 250gb drives are just under 50quid.

FBBC
04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I use both a 120gb and 250gb WD passport with no problems.

Bentex
04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
No failed recordings?

Giga
04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Partial solution is a delayed power swith (usb controlled) (trust 525U), the remaining mains sockets get power after the TM booted up. TM usb gets power, 525U is a USB trough connection, gets power on its USB and puts power on the remaining sockets.
but you still have to switch off/on the TM approx. 5 minutes before recording on an external powerd usb harddrive. Then it needs a long time to come online.
just got me a freecom 250GB non external powered usb harddrive and now FAT32 formating. Let you know. (slow format 14MB/s, some more hours to go).

Bentex
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Giga... I really don't want failed recordings so I'll wait to get the best product before I invest.

FBBC
04-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Couple of times it wouldn't record, don't know why but put it down to the kids or misses playing about. Generally v.good and reliable, never a problem playing back, spot on quality.

Giga
04-08-2009, 08:47 PM
No failed recordings?
Yeah had those to. When recording from the BBC redbutton streams, don't know the cause: could have been the firmware, drop in signal in the stream screen got black, recording stopped and once the TM blocked. Thats why I switch to the non powered HD. Will do some tests tomorow.

RABBY
04-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Maybe look at a [ SATA Drive ] Port is there [ Use IT ]

charlie
04-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Go for an esata external hard drive mine is 500g and the only problem i get is that i have to reboot both reciever and hard drive,this has only occured a couple of times in the last four months, quite pleased with perfomance overall.

Giga
05-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Stay away from esata, can't have any access with esata on the WD Mybook Home Edition 500 GB from the 6900 HD Super. It spins up and that is all, no recording no playing. Looks like a big gamble and as you mention there is that other small problem
have to reboot both reciever and hard drive

Giga
05-08-2009, 05:50 AM
you just want a reliable solution to start a recording when you are not there.
you don't even have to disconnect the USB drive to get your recordings of it or to put other recordings on it.
TM Super: moving files from USB Harddisc over Ethernet (step by step) (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=113433) <= click here to read the article.

charlie
05-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Did you format the hard drive with instructions from technomate website?

Giga
05-08-2009, 07:41 AM
yes, I posted even updates for these programs: Fat32format 1.05 & Win GUI fat32format 1.0.1.0 (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=111179) <= click here.
The esata is not showing up in the menus, all it says when using esata on the TM-6900 HD COMBO Super USB PVR Ready:
USB drive is not attached
as you have it working: what TM model?
what is the used firmware?
does it show extra menu options for esata and where?
the esata works on my computer?

joany
05-08-2009, 08:26 AM
@fbbc/giga - Re missed recordings. Everytime I set up a reording I now check in the 'timer' to make sure that the last box (called 'record') is changed from off to on. This normally works fine.
@giga - re connecting to usb hd via network. - I tried this but can't get it to work. 1. is it absolutely necessary to have the receiver dhcp. It makes sense to have a static ip address for the stb surely?
2. At the step where you allocate an ip address to the drive the instruction says allocate a free ip address but in the picture the ip address entered is the pc's ip address - Do you know which it should be.

I am using a netgear wireless game adaptor to connect the stb to the network. Maybe this is why the connection fails. I can definately ping the wireless adaptor but not had chance to properly diagnose whether the receiver is on the network.

Giga
05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
@joany

DHCP is the easy way, you can ofcourse do it by hand
check IP address from the computer and subnet address
The STB should have:
IP address matching the range of your home computer network
same subnet address
check the router security settings for lan, wifi security and see what rules are set
It should allow access for the TM on to your home network, several ways to do this.
could be by mac address, IP address, ...
Also check your computer firewall settings, it should allow the STB daemon access to the lan.
If all is setup correct you should see the IP address of your computer.

Giga
05-08-2009, 09:06 AM
sadly the options are not consequently in the menu's:

File manager:
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu270/Jan_Gruuthuse/Filemanager.jpg

File list
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu270/Jan_Gruuthuse/Filelist.jpg
File manager is not showing the name of the recording (or have the choice to do so)
File list you cannot select an other disc.

joany
05-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks giga. But can you just please confirm at this stage:
To enter the 3 type 003. (use a free IP address in your network)
Do you type in a free ip address or the ip address of your pc?

In the picture the ip address typed in is the pc ip address... But this is not a 'free ip address' ?

Giga
05-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks giga. But can you just please confirm at this stage:
To enter the 3 type 003. (use a free IP address in your network)
Do you type in a free ip address or the ip address of your pc?

In the picture the ip address typed in is the pc ip address... But this is not a 'free ip address' ?
IP address is for TM and not computer: new free IP address, same range home network.
Set dhcp usage on and press redbutton (scan for ip address, router should give one, under normal conditions)
just made small howto:
IP address assigning to TM (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?p=641897) <= click here
if more docu is needed let me know will adapt that posting

charlie
05-08-2009, 05:43 PM
what TM model? / TM SUPER 6900+
what is the used firmware? /SAMS**G HD501LJ/JP1
does it show extra menu options for esata and where?/only in disk manager in the usb menu
the esata works on my computer /no i dont have a esata connection on my pc Giga sorry im slow to reply just finished work hope this is of any help! p.s i use an esata lead not the ordinary usb connection from stb to harddrive

Giga
05-08-2009, 07:31 PM
that is what I mean, My book has esata and with esata cable connected to the 69000 HD super (not +) and is not recognised.
I find the non external powerd usb hard drive working best, recording timer and wakeup.

j@mes
08-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I am using a Western Digital My Passpoty, Essential, 250gb. This came formatted with FAT. I erased all files including hidden ones. Been using this for about three months no problems.

At present I have 40 Films on the Disk.
An average 1hr.30min film taking 1.4 gb.
A 1hr HD do***entry 4.8gb

joany
18-08-2009, 09:34 AM
@giga - I'm off work for a few day and have revisited the problem of the large external drive with its own power supply.

surely enough within a day the drive has locked up and the tm6900 can't see it.

what was the solution to unlocking the drive. can you refresh me.

thanks

Giga
18-08-2009, 10:48 AM
power up first TM, then connect powered up USB dirive

tony52
19-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Technomate advise that a powered drive is not used when connecting via USB as this will over power the receiver in time.
The 6900HD Combo Super + does not have the hardware installed to recognise the eSata II hard drive only the earlier eSata I

Giga
19-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Technomate advise? on their website or had you contact with them? I have a 6900HD Combo Super and not the new 6900HD Combo Super +

tony52
19-08-2009, 12:03 PM
somebody in a another forum contacted Technomate and that was there answer