PDA

View Full Version : Opensat Reply!

bladerunne
24-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Emailed Opensat over releasing the OpenSource Code for the Azbox there reply is below.

"We are working to release our driver package, however at moment we are also focus to fix as soon as possible our bugs, we strongly think our GUI is much more updated and better that Enigma".

Best regards,

Luis Temporão

tinos
24-08-2009, 07:46 PM
So there is still hope! thanks!!!

AJR
24-08-2009, 07:59 PM
And there's still someone at the office :D

goran
24-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Last time I spoke with Hugo on the subject, in the context of opening a forum, where I envisaged a section for developers, he was quite adamant: "no developer's section [yet], as we would have to give out the low level drivers!"

His reason was simple but effective: [not to even the low level drivers] "the moment we publish them the clone comes out from China or some such place"...

Understandable, from my point of view, as Opensat risked, as it invested and developed... So, they have the right to get the investment back!

To me it looked like no such thing would happen any time soon, as they need to get some profits first...

Well, we'll see... Maybe we'll get some more choice...

But it still looks like a Sigma & Opensat dance...

Without the better, faster driver etc....

Hmmmmm....

AJR
24-08-2009, 08:47 PM
the moment we publish them the clone comes out from China or some such place"...

But Hugo has already admitted that the clones are out.

If I remember correctly, Hugo was going to release pictures of the internals so we could spot them.

goran
24-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Yeah, but which ones, exactly? I know of no such rec...

That Sunny business never was, it seems...

So, this all still stands... does it?

Until when, though?

AJR
25-08-2009, 12:07 AM
So, this all still stands... does it?

Do you remember when the azbox hit the streets.... there was lots of talk about what it was before it was the azbox ?

Unfortunately due to beer and old age I can't remember... But I do remember that there is something that I cant remember :D

gandalfthegrey
25-08-2009, 12:13 AM
Unfortunately due to beer and old age I can't remember... But I do remember that there is something that I cant remember

AJR..I'm like that all the time now..not just with the azbox....LOL:cheers2:

goran
25-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Yes, I remember but I also remember there was no conclusive evidence this was a proper clone of this or that...

So, we still do not know for sure... Sadly...

xanadu
25-08-2009, 07:52 AM
There's no evidence of any Azbox clones in existance.

Who would clone a box that doesn't yet work properly? :D

Dig Deep
25-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Let the drivers free.

Soon we will have (not only) clones but also a working FW :driving:

Sooner or later we all have to learn Chinese:redface:

LEPERO85
25-08-2009, 08:14 AM
not already clones

Carp95
25-08-2009, 08:52 AM
There are no clones, the other one was the Relook 5000

That was in preproduction proces and was to be released by QT sat ( thats what they thought ) but Opensat beat them.

Furthermore someone told me that Opensat has a exclusive deal with Sigma for 5 years ( don't know if thats through ).

For producing clones you don't need the drivers, you need the hardware so send a Azbox to China together with $20.000 and they will produce one or more.

mrbleu500
25-08-2009, 10:14 AM

That was in preproduction proces and was to be released by QT sat ( thats what they thought ) but Opensat beat them.

Furthermore someone told me that Opensat has a exclusive deal with Sigma for 5 years ( don't know if thats through ).

For producing clones you don't need the drivers, you need the hardware so send a Azbox to China together with $20.000 and they will produce one or more.

Opensat are not STB manufacturers, they are software developers.

The AZBox hardware is designed and manufactured in Korea by Celrun, who won the tender to supply Opensat in March to supply STB's worth $21m by 2012 - which my bag of a fag packet calculations works out to around 35,000 units a year.

The Sigma 8634 processor in the AZBox is not unique to Celrun, and can be found in many other products, for example the Popcornhour box.

goran
25-08-2009, 12:27 PM

From what I remember it was the licensing issues, hence it never took off the ground, never hit the high street... Correct?

Yes but people have to produce parts and those can be traced, just like the manufacturer, the firm that ordered/paid for them and distributors. So, those guys can be sanctioned!!!!

One doesn't need to kill other people's HW, like DMM did with their clones, lazily!!! And rather bastardly!!!

goran
25-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Opensat are not STB manufacturers, they are software developers.

The AZBox hardware is designed and manufactured in Korea by Celrun, who won the tender to supply Opensat in March to supply STB's worth $21m by 2012 - which my bag of a fag packet calculations works out to around 35,000 units a year.

Celrun also write FW... and more, it seems...

The Sigma 8634 processor in the AZBox is not unique to Celrun, and can be found in many other products, for example the Popcornhour box.

Isn't there a difference, from what I remember, especially from Tinos' posts...???

It seems there is a slightly better version, in AZbox HD? Not sure if I remember well now...

goran
25-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Btw, the cloning process can be slightly but sufficiently different, if one had the good drivers, can it not?

In that case one could defend it as their own product, with, say Enigma2 and not Celrun FW...

Similar to music copyright: there is a limit at which differences stop being a breach of CR...

And pros know how to do it, trust me - my music was "done" like that... :reddevil:

FME_fta
25-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Celrun also write FW... and more, it seems...

Isn't there a difference, from what I remember, especially from Tinos' posts...???

It seems there is a slightly better version, in AZbox HD? Not sure if I remember well now...

Hi!

The only difference between the SIGMA chip in azbox HD and popcorn/egreat is that the azbox chips supports macrovision/DRM and have all the licenses for playing media.

Hugo said somewhere that they was paying some extra for each box sold just for licenses fees.

Also OpenSAT had registed the Relook brand some years ago.
DGStation (mutant 200s, 400s) was using Relook brand from OpenSAT without permission, so they had to change there name.

OpenSAT wanted to use Relook brand on these new AZbox HD but they changed there mind because the Relook brand was used by DGStation in the past and could cause confusion.

Regards!

Taykun
25-08-2009, 02:12 PM
so why do we have problemr with usb, lan bandwith if chip is basically the same?

AJR
25-08-2009, 02:30 PM
so why do we have problemr with usb, lan bandwith if chip is basically the same?

Cos..
they are software developers

development isn't necessarily forward

mrbleu500
25-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Plenty of BluRay players using the Sigma 8634 chip, Pioneer, Thomson, Sony, Memorex, and a newer, faster more powerful chip the 8644 will start shipping in December, and will support DTS-HD MA 7.1 sound decoding.

Popcornhour is actually using the 8635 chip, which is same as 8634 but without the CSS descrambling system.

tinos
25-08-2009, 05:29 PM
We also have the newer Rev C chip that includes some more features than original Popcorn A100 chip (Rev A) but don't real features on AzBox...

Some more info on it here: https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=109976