PDA

View Full Version : Intermittant connection to the Azbox !!!!

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 09:32 AM
One minute i can connect to the Azbox no problems either by DCC, Filezilla or ipadds:16001, then 5 mins later, nothing, cant get on.
Have to do a reboot

Any ideas why that is ?

I am using 2.0.4 and 9371 FW

Cheers

Paul

Giga
28-08-2009, 10:56 AM
check the ethernetwork connection on computer & AZBox? Can powermanagement of one of these put the card to sleep and save power?
cable or wifi?

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 11:19 AM
check the ethernetwork connection on computer & AZBox? Can powermanagement of one of these put the card to sleep and save power?
cable or wifi?
Just rebooted the box, this is what i get when pinging it

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2625/3863897179_8b5c077ba5_o.jpg

I am using homeplugs and both are in the main wall socket.
My homeplugs work fine and i can stream HD films to my PS3 using them, so not sure what is happening.

I will connect a long lead direct from router to Azbox later to test that. I have tried wireless and was gettting alot of stop start picture so that is a no no although i did not test the pjng

Any ideas please

Giga
28-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Interference on the mains? Some equipment in use in the home? dimmers? on the same circuit?

Giga
28-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Cable over switch:
Ping naar 172.19.3.3 met 32 byte gegevens:
Antwoord van 172.19.3.3: bytes=32 tijd<1 ms TTL=64
Ping-statistieken voor 172.19.3.3:
Pakketten: verzonden = 4, ontvangen = 4, verloren = 0
(0% verlies).De gemiddelde tijd voor het uitvoeren van ‚‚n bewerking in milliseconden:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Gemiddelde = 0ms

do you have ethernet port for computer on auto? See if setting it to the transmission specs for the plug helps?
100Mbit/ Full or Half duplex?
router settings ok? or heavy traffic on the router from other equipment?

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Cable over switch:
Ping naar 172.19.3.3 met 32 byte gegevens:
Ping-statistieken voor 172.19.3.3:
Pakketten: verzonden = 4, ontvangen = 4, verloren = 0
(0% verlies).De gemiddelde tijd voor het uitvoeren van ‚‚n bewerking in milliseconden:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Gemiddelde = 0ms

do you have ethernet port for computer on auto? See if setting it to the transmission specs for the plug helps?
100Mbit/ Full or Half duplex?
router settings ok? or heavy traffic on the router from other equipment?

Next to no traffic over the network.

Router settings, Depends what settings you mean. Seems okay but I am always happy to double check if you know what you want me to check.

Defo not the computer as i can ping everything else no probs !!

"See if setting it to the transmission specs for the plug helps?" What do you mean by this ?

Carp95
28-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Static or DHCP?
Wireless or UTP cable?

xanadu
28-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Did you enable all the Network Services in Settings?

Did you set a password?

valerica
28-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Reboot rooter than check ping echo with & without WAN conn .

Cheers ,
Val .

Giga
28-08-2009, 12:43 PM
"See if setting it to the transmission specs
for the plug helps?" What do you mean by this ?

10Mbps/100Mbps/ Full duplex or Half duplex? <=
all devices have same network range: 192.168.1.###
and the same subnetmask? 255.255.255.0 or simular (must be identical)
home plugs could have there own IP address adjust the router settings so all operate in the same network range
did you check the cat5 leads to the homeplugs? exchange those 1 by 1 and see if there is a problem (use the one from the PS3) could be an indication of network packets collisions?
Are you using more then 2 Homeplugs: disconnect the remaining ones? If it works better: disconnect all homeplugs 1st from the mains and reconnect them again in the same order. All disconnected, then start reconnecting, could be a problem with one of the homeplugs? Are you leaving those on 24/24? If you have some timers see if a daily disconnect improves? Testing the equipment and try to eliminate the cullprit. Switch plugs from places: AZBox to PS3, ...

If AZ problem, should show on the cable connection?

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 01:16 PM
10Mbps/100Mbps/ Full duplex or Half duplex? <=
all devices have same network range: 192.168.1.###
and the same subnetmask? 255.255.255.0 or simular (must be identical)
home plugs could have there own IP address adjust the router settings so all operate in the same network range
did you check the cat5 leads to the homeplugs? exchange those 1 by 1 and see if there is a problem (use the one from the PS3) could be an indication of network packets collisions?
Are you using more then 2 Homeplugs: disconnect the remaining ones? If it works better: disconnect all homeplugs 1st from the mains and reconnect them again in the same order. All disconnected, then start reconnecting, could be a problem with one of the homeplugs? Are you leaving those on 24/24? If you have some timers see if a daily disconnect improves? Testing the equipment and try to eliminate the cullprit. Switch plugs from places: AZBox to PS3, ...

If AZ problem, should show on the cable connection?

I think i am on the verge of giving up on this pile of Crap

Here is the update.

Take homeplugs out of the equation everything works well and get >1ms Pings
Unfortunately, that possible long term
So, I put the AZbox into wireless, connects fine, go upstairs and ping it, everything fine then a few seconds later, all gone, connection lost. Hard reboot it, nothing, no connection.
My Wii is right next to it and connects perfectly so it is not signal strength.

I really hate crap like this as my eagle was perfect apart from no HD.

I don't want all the bells and whistles this box does at the moment, i just want to watch a bit of HD tv, not a lot to ask for !!

I have my router set for B/G as my Nintendo DS only work on B

What next ?

Thx for your help

Burnham
28-08-2009, 01:34 PM
You need to give some more information. What router are you using.

What router SSID are you using -some people say problems with certain formats.

What router encryption are you using - WEP / WPA ? It is known that WEP does not work properly.

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 01:50 PM
You need to give some more information. What router are you using.

What router SSID are you using -some people say problems with certain formats.

What router encryption are you using - WEP / WPA ? It is known that WEP does not work properly.

Router: Linksys WRT54G version 1 ( I think)
SSID: wilkonetwork
WPA Personal
Static IP not DHCP (DHCP Is enabled on router but not on AZBox)
Wireless Connection

Xanadu
"Did you enable all the Network Services in Settings?

Did you set a password?"
Not near the box so cant answer these but i am sure i set a password

Giga
28-08-2009, 03:24 PM
and if you switch the Wii Wifi off? could be interference still same problem?

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 04:22 PM
The wii is not turned on, so cant be that plus all other WIFI's work in the house including laptop in same room !!

I will be home soon to do more testing and go through it bit by bit as i was rushed earlier

Giga
28-08-2009, 04:27 PM
check azbox wifi driver? correct one? Wifi Internal or USB? If several usb Wifi switch them arround and see if there is better one working on AZBox?

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 05:08 PM
check azbox wifi driver? correct one? Wifi Internal or USB? If several usb Wifi switch them arround and see if there is better one working on AZBox?

How do i check the driver ?

Giga
28-08-2009, 05:31 PM
think this is firmware related? someone else has to help you out on this one.

paulwilko
28-08-2009, 09:47 PM
although early days, looks like it may of been my homeplug. Have put it in a different socket and so far so good

Although i still could not get wireless working properly !!!!

thx fo ryour help

xanadu
28-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Try another router if you have one.

Also try wired instead of wireless.

I thought I read that some routers have problems with Azbox.

The only problem I have ever had is needing to reboot my Router when it loses connection which is not very often perhaps once a week.

I use Linksys WAG160N

geezerpl
28-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I've also had some stability issues with LAN/WLAN on my Azbox. Almost wanted to send my box for servicing.
Re-flashed the box with FW2371, 2880 dozen times and finally & suddenly it's all ok NOW with FW3180.
In the meantime abandoned newcs & internal hdd because I feel Azbox has problems with multitasking & overheating.
Both WLAN & LAN now work like a charm.

Strange this box really is...

Giga
29-08-2009, 07:46 AM
although early days, looks like it may of been my homeplug. Have put it in a different socket and so far so good

Although i still could not get wireless working properly !!!!

thx fo ryour help

If you mean by homeplug: ethernet over powerline:
get for each homeplug a mechnical timer that switches those off at approximately the same time at night when you don't use them, like from 2 AM to 6 AM. There not so expensive these days, and from time to time you even find them in a advertisement at the DIY store, Aldi, Li**, ... make sure the plugs are well ventilated, some of those can run verry hot.

If by plug you mean USB Wifi stick and the one on your AZBox is rear mounted: get a small USB 2.0 lead .5 meter not longer, put this between the USB wifi and the AZBox and fix the USB Wifi more above the box so it is not shielded by the box.
If the wifi fall's a sleep see if there is not a power management setting preventing it to go a sleep. Don't know if you have control over this in the AZBox, others could have an answer for this?

paulwilko
30-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I do mean ethernet over powerline.

Trouble is i cant turn tghem off as my peers would not be too pleased ;-)

Seems ok at the moment anyway

Thx for your help

Giga
30-08-2009, 10:51 AM
check when you have no peers, there not watching 24/24? a 5 minute switch on/switch off? That is what i'm doing here 4:00 AM I switch off my modem, router, switch, wireless skype phones. 4:05 AM everything switches on again: 23:55 hours no problems. This way I don't have to monitor everything what is still up and running.