PDA

View Full Version : Plasma burn question!

keith mawer
10-09-2009, 01:29 AM
hi .....
i was reading a thread on a site and this guy bought a brand new panasonic 42"plasma and in 10 mins when connecting his sly+ had burn out lines all over the screen!!!!!!!!!
some guy said oh"dont worry its normal"...
has any one heard of buying a new tv and getting lines all over it...
i am thinking of one ( had thought lcd originally) now i am getting to think OMG!!!!!!

All channels have logos dont they ie ,,,, sly news.. sly sports or even bbc world as a example.

Giga
10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
LCD can have the same problem, the advice is not to display testcard, non moving pictures for a extensive period, these warnings are only in the manuals.

zipperolo
10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I find it very difficult to believe that you can get burnout ghost pictures in just 10 mins on a modern plasma. Especially a very good brand like Panasonic.

Not only recent models have phosphors that suffer from that kind of phenomenon to a much lesser degree than in the past. They also have prevention systems, like the "Orbiter" (this is how Pioneer calls it, but Panasonic has something similar as well), which continually moves the picture fractions of a pizel at a time so that possible fixed portions ot the image don't always fall on the same physical pixels.

Personally as a matter of taste (and also because of the type of material I use it with) I greatly prefer plasma over LCD, but even though both sides of the argument have valid points, it's a subjective matter. I suggest you go and see by yourself which kind of picture you like the best. If it happens to be plasma, buy with confidence and don't be afraid of burnout.

Giga
10-09-2009, 08:55 AM
you want to try it? put a nice black and white chess-board test card on your flatscreen for 10 minutes, and switch back to a plain color test card and let us know, will you?

Gone_Fishing
10-09-2009, 02:08 PM
That's image retention not burn and it goes away after a few minutes and panasonic are one of the best for not doing this LG are much more prone to this than others

To get image burn you would need to leave a static image on screen for hours and hours

You cannot get screen burn on an LCD at all which is why heavy gamers buy LCD screens

TNT

canthackit
10-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Thank You TNT

somebody who does know about about the myths of image retention and screen burn or sometimes called DOG's Digital Onscreen Graphics.

it should be made a sticky.

regards: canthackit

Giga
10-09-2009, 03:11 PM
seems this is the same thing for Samsung, form their manual 1st page:

Important Warranty Information Regarding Television Format Viewing
Wide screen format LCD Displays (16:9, the aspect ratio of the screen width to height) are primarily designed to view wide screen format full-motion video. The images displayed on them should primarily be in the wide screen 16:9 ratio format, or expanded to fll the screen if your model offers this feature and the images are constantly moving. Displaying stationary graphics and images on screen, such as the dark sidebars on nonexpanded standard format television video and programming, should be limited to no more than 5% of the total television viewing per week. Additionally, viewing other stationary images and text such as stock market reports, video game displays, station logos, web sites or computer graphics and patterns, should be limited as described above for all televisions. Displaying stationary images that exceed the above guidelines can cause uneven aging of LCD Displays that leave subtle, but permanent burned-in ghost images in the LCD picture. To avoid this, vary the programming and images, and primarily display full screen moving images, not stationary patterns or dark bars. On LCD models that offer picture sizing features, use these controls to view different formats as a full screen picture. Be careful in the selection and duration of television formats used for viewing. Uneven LCD aging as a result of format selection and use, as well as burned-in images, are not covered by your Samsung limited warranty.

Precautions When Displaying a Still Image
A still image may cause permanent damage to the TV screen
Do not display a still image on the LCD panel for more than 2 hours as it can cause screen image retention. This image retention is also known as “screen burn”. To avoid such image retention, reduce the degree of brightness and contrast of the screen when displaying a still image. Watching the LCD TV in 4:3 format for a long period of time may leave traces of borders displayed on the left, right and center of the screen caused by the difference of light emission on the screen. Playing a DVD or a game console may cause a similar effect to the screen. Damages caused by the above effect are not covered by the Warranty. Displaying still images from Video games and PC for longer than a certain period of time may produce partial after-images. To prevent this effect, reduce the ‘brightness’ and ‘contrast’ when displaying still images.

bolding and red color by me.

TonyO
10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
my local sports club has sty and the pint pot in the bottom right corner is firmly burnt into the screen now, even when its on itv or bbc its still there, the samsung tv is 1 year old.

Jimdefruit
10-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Hehehe, they probably dont have sty and have just stuck a pint pot on the screen.

Gone_Fishing
10-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Thank You TNT

somebody who does know about about the myths of image retention and screen burn or sometimes called DOG's Digital Onscreen Graphics.

it should be made a sticky.

regards: canthackit

Well IMHO DOG's are a pain in the arse if they are white and almost opaque, if over a long period of time you watch the same channel on a regular basis every day I expect in a pitch black room on a black screen your likely to see something I'm talking about after a few thousand hours though

But burn that's visible during normal viewing is pretty rare now a days unless you do something stupid like leaving a screen on a channel with a DOG and forgetting about it for hours falling asleep late at night and waking up in the morning is a good one :rolleyes:

If the TV has some form of protection that shifts the picture about definitely switch it on ;)

TNT

RABBY
10-09-2009, 07:08 PM
keith mawer

I have a [ panasonic 42"plasma ] Sky HD Box ? I Have noticed When the tv is left on , Sky box goes to sleep mode after 3 hours [Iff nothing has been pressed on the remote control ] You do get a Image ? But it goes Away as soon as the Sky box is started Again ?? So there is no Burn as you say;)

philips
10-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Have had a Panny plasma for about 9 months, treat it as any other TV for normal viewing and have had neither burn nor image retention.

cosworth4x4
10-09-2009, 09:58 PM
i would not worry to much about it my sony plasma over 4 year old now is on cbebbies , nic jnr 8 hours a day , left on pause on dvds and no screen burn, poor thing gets a hammering.