PDA

View Full Version : sony plasma need software upgrade for freeview.

cosworth4x4
21-09-2009, 07:56 PM
im in the first area for the switch over , and have startred to recieve break up on some of the freeview channels , my tv is listed on the sony website that needs a software upgrade , cost £70.
i know all they do is insert a memory stick and load it up , anyone have access to the file i need and can i do it myself.

cheers.

Giga
22-09-2009, 07:02 AM
I guess you looked already here:

http://www.sony.co.uk/section/support did you register?
odd Sony USA has downloads online free? And you actually have to pay in UK/EU?
Samsung has also firmwares online free.
might help if you let us know what model you look to update?
found a download for KDL-40Z5500?

http://support.sony-europe.com/TV/downloads/downloads.aspx?site=odw_en_GB&m=KDL-40Z5500&f=FW_Bravia1570EA
so maybe if you take it from here?

http://support.sony-europe.com/tv/ptv/ptv.aspx?site=odw_en_GB

cosworth4x4
22-09-2009, 01:13 PM
sony want £70 to upgrade it i just spoke to another repairer who will do it for £50 and they told me to speak to customer services as they are paying poeple back the costs as its a know fault .

worth a go i suppose .

model number is kde-p37xs1

cheers.

echelon
22-09-2009, 01:15 PM
might be worth posting about it on avforums , with the model number etc too

cosworth4x4
22-09-2009, 01:19 PM
cheers there is a post on there allready same model , there is a upgrade BUT version they say theirs has been flashed to is allready in mine , ive asked if they can tell me the software version they will be putting in before i pay and find out its the same,but they say they dont know.

Graham7
22-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I thought that you would get this over the air for new SW. I know my Panasonic get SW update for it. Or is this something different ??

Giga
22-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Split NIT (N etwork I nformation T able) issue

What is it?

Due to the age of the TV and due to some transmission changes some of our TV models will require a software upgrade. Without the upgrade the TV cannot be re-tuned to capture new channels and will not tune correctly after the Digital Switchover in your region.

What are the Symptoms?

When re-tuning the TV it may stop and lock up and not complete the tuning process.

How to get the TV operating again?

Please turn the TV off and then on again via the normal on/off stand-by switch via the remote control. The channels that were already tuned before the re-tune will still be stored in the TV memory and can still be accessed in the normal way.

Please Note: If you do not want to upgrade your TV with the new software you can purchase a Digital TV Set Top Box to connect to the TV or one of our Digital TV Recorders. For details about our Digital TV recorders please click on the link below.

think you are cheaper of getting a freeview set top box?

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewboxes.html

Graham7
22-09-2009, 03:52 PM
How old is the TV its digital one so should work and if it did need a update this should be FREE as it is a digital TV.

cosworth4x4
22-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I thought that you would get this over the air for new SW. I know my Panasonic get SW update for it. Or is this something different ??

there was a ota upgrade for software just before christmas last year im assumimng mine caught this and thats why its showing the version it is , but i still dont know if there has been another since.

the tv is about 4/5 year old was sold as digital ready but way before the digital tick came out.

i will try and ring sony customer services tommorow dinnertime see what they say.

cosworth4x4
22-09-2009, 05:22 PM
Split NIT (N etwork I nformation T able) issue

What is it?

Due to the age of the TV and due to some transmission changes some of our TV models will require a software upgrade. Without the upgrade the TV cannot be re-tuned to capture new channels and will not tune correctly after the Digital Switchover in your region.

What are the Symptoms?

When re-tuning the TV it may stop and lock up and not complete the tuning process.

How to get the TV operating again?

Please turn the TV off and then on again via the normal on/off stand-by switch via the remote control. The channels that were already tuned before the re-tune will still be stored in the TV memory and can still be accessed in the normal way.

think you are cheaper of getting a freeview set top box?

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewboxes.html

i dont want to add a set top box , i have cable and freeview on a panasonic dvd recorder ,its just so much esier using the tv guide etc ,:respect-048:

Graham7
22-09-2009, 05:36 PM
there was a ota upgrade for software just before christmas last year im assumimng mine caught this and thats why its showing the version it is , but i still dont know if there has been another since.

the tv is about 4/5 year old was sold as digital ready but way before the digital tick came out.

i will try and ring sony customer services tommorow dinnertime see what they say.

If Sony know about this then they should send it out again over the air. Or is this a other way off getting £70 out off people. I know my TV tells me that there is a new SW that comes on the screen to tell me.

PS

Don't know if this helps.

_http://www.dtg.org.uk/industry/download_schedule.php

cosworth4x4
23-09-2009, 01:23 PM
well 10/10 for sony spoke to them today and they are sending out a cam for me to do it myself , not bad at all considering the age of the tv.

Graham7
23-09-2009, 02:54 PM
well 10/10 for sony spoke to them today and they are sending out a cam for me to do it myself , not bad at all considering the age of the tv.

Good one M8 save you £70 then sell it on **** for £70.:D :D

3tv
23-09-2009, 04:32 PM
freeview as we know it will be obsolete once they roll out terestrial HD which is supposed to start this december. good job your getting the software upgrade for free to cure your current issues

cosworth4x4
23-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Good one M8 save you £70 then sell it on **** for £70.:D :D

i have a feeling they will want it back.

cosworth4x4
23-09-2009, 05:51 PM
freeview as we know it will be obsolete once they roll out terestrial HD which is supposed to start this december. good job your getting the software upgrade for free to cure your current issues

not sure if true but i have heard nothing out at the moment will be compatable for freeview hd .

Ghoulie
25-09-2009, 12:13 PM
mother-in-law has the same problem with a kd32nx100u crt model

What site did you get your software upgrade info from? Hers is v3.5 and i'm sure it has not picked up any ota u/g - despite being switched to on to auto receive

What sony number to get free u/g cam from?

3tv
25-09-2009, 03:26 PM
not sure if true but i have heard nothing out at the moment will be compatable for freeview hd .

yeah no hardware available yet expect tvs to appear shortly afterwards at a premium

RABBY
25-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Talking about Freeview HD ? Cannot see there being many Channels on HD !!! Will the Transmitters Cope with HD + All the Rest:confused:

Giga
25-09-2009, 04:23 PM
just in case you missed this one: BBC wants freeview hd-content encrypting (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=116698)

RABBY
25-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Giga

just in case you missed this one

Did miss that one m8 ? But still strange How the Transmitters are going to cope with HD Channels???????

Giga
25-09-2009, 06:35 PM
mpeg4 has more space then mpeg2 within the same channel.

Will high-definition television (HDTV) be available on Freeview?

Freeview viewers across the UK will be able to watch high definition TV channels possibly as early as 2009.

New technology and a reorganisation of the way channels are allocated on digital terrestrial television platform will free up space for four Freeview HDTV services.

The first three HD channels will be available as digital switchover takes place in the Granada TV region in the north-west of England and subsequent regions from 2009. All four HD channels should be available across the country by the time digital switchover is due to be completed in 2012.

Viewers who want to watch the new channels will have to buy a new set-top box incorporating the superior MPEG-4 rather than MPEG-2 compression technology. MPEG-4 is twice as efficient as the MPEG-2 standard , while a new European transmission standard (DVB-T2) will increase capacity by 30%. These boxes are still being developed and discussions are taking place on when they will be available to buy in shops.

Freeview looks forward to working with the industry to bring this exciting and new TV viewing experience to the 18 million homes using the Freeview service.

cosworth4x4
25-09-2009, 07:41 PM
mother-in-law has the same problem with a kd32nx100u crt model

What site did you get your software upgrade info from? Hers is v3.5 and i'm sure it has not picked up any ota u/g - despite being switched to on to auto receive

What sony number to get free u/g cam from?

phone number 0845 6000 124.

tell them you bought the tv as digital ready to find out now it dont work , i had the cam today youre model was not listed but possibly a different upgrade.

as to my upgrade it looks like the cam was allready used as it was not recognised on inserting it , they have told me to send it back and they will send me out another ,it looks like they are a one time use only and they ask for it back provided you with a pre paid envelope.

freebe
25-09-2009, 08:15 PM
@cosworth4x4

just in case you missed this one: BBC wants freeview hd-content encrypting

Ya its Called Capping :grouphug:

a lot of people will be caught out on this one.

:o21:

cosworth4x4
25-09-2009, 08:28 PM
you allready now they have in reallity allready done that on freesat.
:respect-054:

cosworth4x4
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
well at last i got my update , to be honest not impressed , ok untill 10 pm then the picture so bad on itv its unwatchable , other 2 tv's feed of same ariel via splitter amp all good , im going to move one of the other tv's to sony feed just to check it aint a cable problem.

time then i think to get in touch with sony again, have they addmitted its thier problem by now sending me a cam to update ????????????

£2000 for a tv that i cant watch itv after 10 pm :rolleyes:

wow they have done me a favour, :congratulations-008

i have to laugh or ill cry .

Micko50
10-10-2009, 08:24 AM
well at last i got my update , to be honest not impressed , ok untill 10 pm then the picture so bad on itv its unwatchable , other 2 tv's feed of same ariel via splitter amp all good , im going to move one of the other tv's to sony feed just to check it aint a cable problem.

time then i think to get in touch with sony again, have they addmitted its thier problem by now sending me a cam to update ????????????

£2000 for a tv that i cant watch itv after 10 pm :rolleyes:

wow they have done me a favour, :congratulations-008

i have to laugh or ill cry .

It just sounds as if you're not receiving a strong enough signal after 10.00pm. Wouldn't a better Ariel or an inline signal amplifier cure the problem ?

Anyway, the real reason I'm answering your post is to add this link:-

_http://www.neotion.com/products/module.htm

Looks like there might be a big market soon for people who want to upgrade their TVs to MPEG4 by slotting a cam into their TVs.

I think someone else posted about this a long, long time ago but anyway I've posted it just in case it hasn't been here on the forum before.

Giga
10-10-2009, 10:08 AM
Don't you have to realign the antenna to the polarity of the transmitter your viewing or at least check if they did not switch the polarity of that transmitter?
The power output has decreased largely with the switch from analog to digital

Found a folder describing some test for the areal on

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/

cosworth4x4
10-10-2009, 11:36 AM
i allready have a amp and a splitter , all tvs arround the house are feed off the same ariel via it.

all other tv,s are fine , so im assuming the ariel is ok, or is it the same as sat recievers they could have a different gain so the sony may need a stronger signal.

i thought they were upping the strenth after the switch over?

Ghoulie
10-10-2009, 12:45 PM
pity isn't it re Sony tvs. I had a couple of Sonys - they used to be top quality & last forever - 1st lasted 20 years - 2nd one only 10 years

Then wnet on to Panasonics - worlds apart - far better

2 daughtrs have new Sony LCDs - not a patch on my Panny 32" LCD

m-in-law has a hand me down sony kd32nx100u form one of my daughters - cost £2500 - 10 years back - freeview enabled etc. - but won't retune - NIT problem

Giga
10-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Don't know exactly the situation over in the UK. With analogue TV in Bruges, we could get Dutch, French, UK (Dover) TV, loved Thunderbirds on BBC 1, and Belgian TV: Dutch and French. Al I can receive now on the ariel is the Belgian Dutch Speaking TV only. Service area dropped here in Belgium and most likely in the Netherlands to a 30 KM distance.

Analogue requires lower signal strength to get a watchable picture. By extension, digital does not degrade as gracefully as analogue. For example, with low signal strength an analogue picture gets fuzzy (but is still viewable) while a digital picture freezes and stops updating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_terrestrial_television

Graham7
10-10-2009, 05:37 PM
i allready have a amp and a splitter , all tvs arround the house are feed off the same ariel via it.

all other tv,s are fine , so im assuming the ariel is ok, or is it the same as sat recievers they could have a different gain so the sony may need a stronger signal.

i thought they were upping the strenth after the switch over?

The switch over for the northwest are.

4 Nov BBC2 turn off on analogue and you have to retune
2 Dec the rest will be turn off and the signal will be boosted.

Knot sure if it will be boosted on 4 Nov.

The one for the 30 Oct should have made it so a lot more people could get Five but still the same what I have head. My Mums as lost a lot off them which she could get before just have to wait for the switch over and see what happens.

cosworth4x4
15-10-2009, 08:37 PM
think this confirms the signal was boosted.

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=118453

cosworth4x4
17-12-2009, 11:52 PM
forgot to reply back about 1 week after the upgrade everything started to work fine , i guess they had not upped the signal straight away.