PDA

View Full Version : Keep Losing Network Connection !

paulwilko
06-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Hiya

Alot, not all times, I have to do one of two things to get my box to connect to my network.

Once it is all set up it can work for days, sometimes only minutes.

It is nothing to do with my home network as all other things work perfectly including the PS3 and Wii which is right next to the Azbox

The Azbox is on Wireless

The two things ihave to do are either

Go to wired and then back to wireless or disconnect all cables turn off the Azbox at back, and then connect all again and magically it all works.

This still happens on wired as well as i went wireless to see if it is any better.

Also, when pinging the box, I will often get lots of replies then i get request timed out, it is so inconsistent it is unbelievable

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2603/3986714420_5dfd9f1356_o.jpg

Any ideas if this is a known fault or something local to me ?

Thx for any help

paul

rtificial
06-10-2009, 08:37 AM
This seems something local to you.

I'm currently doing some heavy file-transfers from download server to azbox, and in the meantime I still get no packet-loss on pinging from my laptop.

My AZbox is connected via WiFi as well by the way

paulwilko
06-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Thx for the reply, I am using WPA, do you know if WEP is now supported with the latest FW ?

I have a wireless range extender I would like to try but that is WEP only but dont want to change all my wireless devices back to WEP if WEP is not supported on the AZ ?

Thx

Paul

rtificial
06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Don't know, I don't use any encryption. Hooray for the free internet!

*grin*

No really, I can't tell, as my azbox is on my public, unencrypted wlan.

paulwilko
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Ok, I have added my range extender, changed my network to WEP including the azbox and getting much better results with the ping.

Also, de-scrambling seems better aswell

Fingers crossed

Cheers for your help

Paul

paulwilko
06-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Oh well, it was good whilst it lasted !!

Same old crap again, lost connection

Internet status shows as "Checking status" and it never comes back until i do one the above mentioned.

This is 100% a fault with the box as the PS3 and Wii never lose connection.

And why would taking the leads out and restarting the box make any difference, i dont know, but it does

Now i have reset it AGAIN, the ping is great, its almost as if it gets hot or something and progressively gets worse ?

Any ideas please anyone ?

jassoo
07-10-2009, 11:39 AM
do you have any devices near the azbox using wlan also?
you can get packet loss when you have many wlan devices near each other or when wlan signal is weak.

paulwilko
07-10-2009, 03:46 PM
do you have any devices near the azbox using wlan also?
you can get packet loss when you have many wlan devices near each other or when wlan signal is weak.
Thx for your reply but I am thinking there is more to this than just a network problem.

To answer your question though, I have a Wii and PS3 but they are not in use at the same time and in anycase the PS3 never loses connection.

Things seem to happen on the AZbox when i go into menus, or its been on a while or change channels. It does not seem to cope well with change then eventually (NOT ALWAYS) will lose connection.

Please note also that i had this problem when it was wired, that is why i changed to wireless.

Not convinced its FW related either as there has been 2 new releases since this all started and i did a fresh install the last time !

I am assuming it is just another bug i need to get used to !

Thx again

Carp95
08-10-2009, 08:22 AM
It's not a bug!!

Have no problem @all with loosing network connection with my 2 boxes.
A friend of mine also has no problems.
How did you setup your network? static or DHCP?

paulwilko
08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
It's not a bug!!

Have no problem @all with loosing network connection with my 2 boxes.
A friend of mine also has no problems.
How did you setup your network? static or DHCP?
Thx for your reply

It is set up with Static IP

I am okay with setting networks up so I know that part is set up correctly.

Yesterday I left it on a scrambled channel which at the time was un scrambled through my CSharing. I came home and could not ping it and sure enough the picture had frozen meaning it had lost connection again.

So I am fairly certain (Although you can never be 100%) it is a fault with the box whether a Bug or a fault.
I had the same issue with my Eagle box but that went away when I change the type of image i used. I went from Eagle image to PLi Jade image and that is as solid as can be.

I am open to suggestions however, but it seems a box fault somewhere along the lines but i will be happy to be proven wrong

Cheers

Paul

Carp95
08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
Ok that could be the problem: static

Try to use DHCP and test that

paulwilko
08-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Ok that could be the problem: static

Try to use DHCP and test that
I am willing to try that, but that would muck up my CCCam server as and when i start it ?

You have to direct ports to the ip adds dont you and i would not be able to do that on DHCP

Carp95
08-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Do you run CCcam server on AZ?

Probebly it will keep the asigned IPnumber as it is now

Giga
08-10-2009, 11:43 AM
wireless to slow sometimes for C S, go back to cable. look if you can find a reconnect tool for the operating system of your azbox and have that running on the box. Or perhaps this is something for the box? Using TCP keepalive under Linux:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO/usingkeepalive.html

paulwilko
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Do you run CCcam server on AZ?

Probebly it will keep the asigned IPnumber as it is now
I dont at the moment but when I can, I intend to.

paulwilko
08-10-2009, 01:45 PM
wireless to slow sometimes for C S, go back to cable. look if you can find a reconnect tool for the operating system of your azbox and have that running on the box. Or perhaps this is something for the box? Using TCP keepalive under Linux:

Oooh, think this maybe above my head !
Thx though and i will have a read and see what it does

Do you have experience with this ?

Giga
08-10-2009, 01:58 PM
no, I'm staying safe away from Linux. (Xp user with TM's)

tx0
08-10-2009, 11:46 PM

cant open that. connection is OK :) working link is http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO/usingkeepalive.html