PDA

View Full Version : MKV DTS sound problem - workaround

gtg60
12-10-2009, 09:31 PM
If, like me, you use your AZBox as a media player one of the most annoying bugs at the moment is with DTS soundtracks on MKV files, a few firmwares back it was lip-sync issues but now it can be best described as handshaking failure whereby the connected Amplifier loses recognition of the DTS file and it pops in and out of 5.1 sound, it leads to an unpleasant listening experience.

I have found a workaround which may not be straightforward and does have some caveats but for me it works well as a temporary solution until Opensat fix this bug.

It involves remuxing the mkv file using a program called mkv2vob which can be downloaded from:
http://www.3r1c.eu/mkv2vob/mkv2vob.exe
If you've never used it here is the basic setup I use (your language or subtitle settings may be different plus some of these settings are redundant), firstly click on the 'Configuration' tab and change:
Temp directory: To somewhere on your PC's HDD.
Output Type: File
Prefered Audio Languge: English
Video Transcoding: Automatic
Prefered Subtitle Language: None
File Splitting: None
Output File: mpg
Transcoding codec: x264 High Bitrate (slow)
Leave all other boxes unchecked.

Then click on the 'Add File' tab and select your Source File and then choose somewhere for the new file to go in 'Destination Directory'
Finally click on 'Add File' and, depending on your PC's speed, in a few minutes you will have a new file that will play on your AZBox in glorious troublefree DTS :respect-048:

rtificial
12-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks, I'll have a try. :)

kebien
13-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I've been using "popcorn mkv audio converter" from this link
Is a one step demuxer/converter/multiplexer and easy to setup and use

hxxp://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_MKV_AudioConverter

It actually use all the programs described above automatically.

gtg60
13-10-2009, 01:08 PM
I've been using "popcorn mkv audio converter" from this link
Is a one step demuxer/converter/multiplexer and easy to setup and use

hxxp://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_MKV_AudioConverter

It actually use all the programs described above automatically.

Yeah but doesn't that program convert the DTS soundtrack to a Dolby Digital one? Which in effect reduces the quality?

mrbleu500
13-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes, but not by much, and difficult to judge if the original DTS doesn't play properly...

jsimo01
13-10-2009, 05:45 PM
mkvextract>eac3to>mkvmerge

Seemples!

kebien
14-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah but doesn't that program convert the DTS soundtrack to a Dolby Digital one? Which in effect reduces the quality?

I thought the idea was to convert to a format the azbox can play,since cannot play dts.
It was pointed out to you : what's the quality of a format you cannot hear at all?
Beside,you can still keep the DTS audio track also,meaning nothing is lost.

jsimo01 wrote:
****mkvextract>eac3to>mkvmerge

Seemples! """

Which is actually what the program in the link I posted is doing.
It just compile the usual programs into one single GUI and a single click.

gtg60
14-10-2009, 11:10 PM
I thought the idea was to convert to a format the azbox can play,since cannot play dts.
It was pointed out to you : what's the quality of a format you cannot hear at all?

Why don't you actually read what I have written in my first post, if you do it the way I describe you retain the DTS in a format the AZBox can play instead of settling for an inferior DD soundtrack.

kebien
15-10-2009, 12:57 PM
You are proposing a fix for the DTS audio sync when playing using an external amplifier.
I just added a way to keep that same DTS file and add an ac3 track so the box can play the audio on its own too.
I believe it was complimentary to what you are saying,not against it.
Can have a file with both properties.
peace

gtg60
15-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Sorry, yes, I misinterpreted what you were saying.

Whatever solution people are using, le's hope Opensat fix this bug soon so we don't have to go through the trouble of modifying our files. :respect-054: