PDA

View Full Version : What is Barry Allen?

nickm
03-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi guys,

I am very close to purchasing a DM800 and so have been on the internet for days now reading up on it as much as possible.

One thing i keep reading about is Barry Allen, what is this? I cant seem to find an explanation anywhere. just how to install it :07:

I have also seen talk about using USB sticks for images. Could someone shed some light on this as well. Is a USB stick needed? I thought images were uploaded to the flash.

Many Thanks
Nick

It is going to be a long day when my DM800 arrives. I need to connect it wirelessly to my network as well as use a Vbox. Hopefully no problems occur setting these up haha :respect-058:

loveman
03-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Barry allen is basically a plugin, which allows you to have a multiboot option...

So basically, you install an image in to flash (I prefer to use oozoon, as it's nice and clean, and easily kept up to date with the software updates). Then, you install this plugin, and using a usb stick or hdd (altho I'd say use a usb rather than hdd), you install further images. Then, during bootup, you can choose which image you'd prefer to load...

As for connecting it wirelessly, have you not thought about homeplugs? Easier, and imo more stable...

hth :)

nickm
03-11-2009, 05:23 PM
cheers loveman for your quick reply.

i was planning on installing the nabilo image straight to the flash when i get my box. is this ok for a beginner like me? i read that ppl find it better to have more than one image available in case of problems occurring on an image.

oh and thanks for the heads-up on homeplugs.

nick
nick

Eek!
05-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Barry Allen is the alta ego of... The Flash!

Geddit?

dave3dg
05-11-2009, 05:09 PM
On a similar theme, has anyone tried and had success with FWP with the 800/8k instead as I found that quite good with the old 7020?

sonic1
05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Unless you know of a version of FW for e2 that I have not seen then it is of no use Dave.

luis
05-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Havenīt tried, but afaik you canīt load images using Flash ****** on enigma2 (DM800 or DM8000 receivers). But itīs very good to use on DM7000 or DM7020).

@nickm
If youīre going to install Nabilo image in flash, install Nabilo_DM8000_PureFlash_01jul09. It already contains Barry Allen, so you donīt have to load it separately. It also works for all the later images in multiboot.

sonic1
05-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Havenīt tried, but afaik you canīt load images using Flash ****** on enigma2 (DM800 or DM8000 receivers). But itīs very good to use on DM7000 or DM7020).

@nickm
If youīre going to install Nabilo image in flash, install Nabilo_DM8000_PureFlash_01jul09. It already contains Barry Allen, so you donīt have to load it separately. It also works for all the later images in multiboot.

Sorry Luis but I would have to disagree on that one, the image is now old and I would always advise using the latest image and drivers.

If you want to use Barry Allen the use OoZoon and the flash and download via the addons.

I can not advise you to use any other image in the flash other than OoZoon.

dave3dg
05-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Unless you know of a version of FW for e2 that I have not seen then it is of no use Dave.

No m8, I can only recall in the early HD days someone on this forum saying you could but I don't know if that is correct. The theory was that you can only change images from the boot with FWP and so it was inconvenient.

I do know that FWP ver 6.3 does connect to the 8k and recognises all the drives and such.

I might give it a try you never know. :)

Dave

luis
05-11-2009, 05:41 PM
First of all sorry, I confused DM800 and DM8000 (which Iīm using). I donīt think Nabilo_DM8000_Pure Flash can be used on DM800.

As for the old image - I have it in flash and four Gemini images on USB. All work without a problem.

nickm
06-11-2009, 03:06 AM
cheers guys for the replies.

with images stored on the flash, can they be updated via the web. of do you have to install a new image via your pc.

also the first time i install my flash can this be done over my network or do i have to use a cable?

nick

sonic1
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
All you need to get you started is in THIS (https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=88357) thread.