PDA

View Full Version : Quad LNB Fault

xanadu
22-11-2009, 11:57 PM
My MTI quad LNB has just gone faulty, and currently I only use one output.

Does anyone think if I use another output on the LNB that it will work?

Are each of the outputs completely independent of one another?

The fault is I get signal, but no quality, and it was working until the end of X-Factor when it started breaking up, and now zero quality on any satellite. I know it's the LNB as I have a fixed dish and that still works on 28E.

It's a ladder job, so will have to wait till next weekend to fix.

Giga
23-11-2009, 10:05 AM
quad LNB = 4 independent outputs
quattro LNB = 1/4 of signal on one output. (Low/High/Vertical/Horizontal)

Maybe it is a water problem? If those 3 other outputs where not closed of? Or perhaps water in the cable? Been a little wet over there the last days, as I understand the situation there.
If you have a box with the graphical analyzer in it. Remove the lnb from its holder, point it at the ground, switch on the receiver, when pointed to the ground it should show a signal increase, pointing away from the ground signal should drop. Try with a short cable again, just in case there is water in the original cable to the dish.
If you have an old working spare lnb replace it on the dish see if that brings you a signal.
Hope you find the problem and can fix it.

Detlef
23-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Although a quad behaves like 4 independent LNBs it can take the power from any of the 4 inputs.

It is certainly worth swapping the leads around but as Giga said, it may well be water in the cable or connectors leading to a loss of power to the LNB.

xanadu
23-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks, I will try swapping the cable to another output first, next weekend.

I get good signal but no quality, so it sounds electronic fault to me.

Never seen an LNB fail like that before, as usually they fail with poor signal or no signal on certain frequencies.

Giga
23-11-2009, 07:27 PM
still worth to check the dish alignment (heavy wind last days) couple of mm (up/down/left/right) can be enough to lose quality on the signal. If you have a sat meter or audio sat finder? don't forget to switch of the receiver! Power stays on LNB in standby!

xanadu
29-11-2009, 01:08 PM
still worth to check the dish alignmentIt turned out the problem was the dish had lost track somehow?
After resetting east position to zero it's all working fine again, and all old saved positions still working fine.

I did try another LNB which of course also did not work until I reset the zero dish position marker.

I decided to keep the new LNB as it was giving me 15% more quality than the old MTI Highline.

Am now using Fortec Star FSKU4VN Quad LNB

http://www.fortecstar.com/estore/Store/Assets/Medium/108-1.jpg

Giga
29-11-2009, 04:10 PM
glad you have things running again.