PDA

View Full Version : Its still a good Box

ukpaisley
27-11-2009, 05:34 PM
After the last few FW updates I have been messing around with my external 1Tb hard drive I use on my popcorn hour. I have found that the new FW will play most things and I have always found the picture quality on my 46" lcd at 1080p outstanding.

I now think -
1) C - tuner works fine and works HD well.
2) S tuner works fine and the sensitivity is the best I have had , no prob on 16E in bad weather(North of England 1m dish )
3) PVR is ok, the wife keeps up to date with her soaps

I would like better integration as a NMT, allowing me to transfer and play from the network of access the HD that’s on the AZbox for direct file transfer.
I am still happy , and the price of the Ellite that I have is way lower that what was available.
I know its still in B test, but its time the manufacturers came clean about what’s poss now and what I can expect in the future, they must know by now.
I can see with external keyboard/mouse pad , I have one upstairs on my media centre , will try it later , as a media access point for email and net browsing will be a good feature.
All in all I think the box is a good one.

:respect-066:

goran
27-11-2009, 06:32 PM
It's good and getting better! Or at least it seems to me it is.

However, is it fast enough and will they achieve the minimum targets they are promising for so long...

Well... Each of us has to interpret it for ourselves...

And this fiasco on a "few matters"...:smash:

Will anyone ever kick DMM off?!?:smash:

Tiptronic
27-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I've been trying to get the wlan lan working for the last 2 hours, I hope this doesnt result in a crushed box. (not crashed, but crushed)

goran
27-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Plug it in, when it starts working, it might be OK WLAN-wise, too, they say... ;) :)

Tiptronic
27-11-2009, 08:41 PM
its works perfectly via cable, but it just wont connect via wlan, it connects whener it wants from day to day.

dutchmatrix
27-11-2009, 09:33 PM
its works perfectly via cable, but it just wont connect via wlan, it connects whener it wants from day to day.

Looks like your wlan is of the female kind :302:

Goku
27-11-2009, 10:24 PM

all problems are solved,when you make SSID visible

heyhey
27-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I found if I set up the Wi-Fi, entered in my static ip then hit Setup it would fail the first time it tries to connect. But I could ping the box. If I hit Setup a second time it would connect sucessfully. I only use wireless and have found it to work really well.

Carp95
27-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Will anyone ever kick DMM off?!?:smash:

Yes after 3911 I sold my last remainig DMM box

ukpaisley
28-11-2009, 12:15 AM
So its not all bad news, I must admit i think the box should be sorted by now, but it dose what i need it to do at the moment.

leerock
28-11-2009, 12:46 AM
if they manage to remove those usb/net restrictions so we can have a normal 1080p playback
then it will be almost perfect for me
and i would recommend it to anyone

digihoe
28-11-2009, 01:37 AM
I want Live TV streaming, full-TS would be best. I've had no problems with WLAN, only that is way too slow. It works great as UPNP server once I installed uShare, but as I said before we need more speed (fwd in x1.5) to skip commercials.

Does anyone know where we stand on PiP... Also should watching IPTV while recording DVB work?

Tiptronic
28-11-2009, 04:25 AM
all problems are solved,when you make SSID visible

How else would you try to connect? The problem is not finding the network, but getting really connected. Most of the time it says "network not available". I've had this a couple of times before, but it used to work after a couple of minutes, but today it still wasnt working after hours of trying everything. So either its a hardware malfunction or a software/firmware bug. Because my phone was connecting without a problem from the same spot.

To stay on topic its a good box (as a multimediaplayer which costs about the same with those options), but its far away from perfect, so get ready to be frustrated with the most unexpected problems.

paulwilko
29-11-2009, 09:21 PM
In my oppinion, this box is nothing short of shocking

It sits right next to my PS3 and Wii and they NEVER lose connection, but today, the cr4ppy Azbox loses connection every few minutes.

Then I have to take leads out, reboot, try it on wired, then back to wireless an dthen sometimes, it may work for another 5 minutes.
Having it wired is simply not an option, for me, I have wasted my money !!

I am in the process of starting again, but my controller was aiming for the wall at many times today through frustration !!

digihoe
29-11-2009, 10:55 PM
In my oppinion, this box is nothing short of shocking

It sits right next to my PS3 and Wii and they NEVER lose connection, but today, the cr4ppy Azbox loses connection every few minutes.

Then I have to take leads out, reboot, try it on wired, then back to wireless an dthen sometimes, it may work for another 5 minutes.
Having it wired is simply not an option, for me, I have wasted my money !!

I am in the process of starting again, but my controller was aiming for the wall at many times today through frustration !!

I too have it next to PS3 right now, but don't have your problems, only slow speed... Have you installed new firmware? Have you tried factory defaults? Do you use WPA?

If it's a real hardware problem consider returning it for replacement/repair.

ukpaisley
30-11-2009, 03:35 AM
I have wifi problems unrelated to the azbox, the xbox and one of the computers just dont get on, its one or the other dont know why, had to reduce the power on the computer usb wifi to get them to work.

adrray1974
30-11-2009, 04:31 AM
Well, let me start here, originally got a PS3 to play TV series that i download, and store on a net drive. Obviously i had to keep the PC on with TVersity... any how, when i saw this box, compared the price to the dm800, i thought this box looks way better with better connectivity.
It sits right under the TV, but lucky enough, my router sits behind the TV, so i am connected wired.
My NAS is mapped to the AZBox, by using the NAS plugin. Accessing it is lightning quick. All my Blueray content is stored on the 1TB hard Drive (usb connection) and likewise lightning. I do suffer where i can not skip through the blueray using fastforward, chapter skip is fine, however with the tv from the NAS, all functions are great.
Picture quality is excellent, about the same as the PS3 for image from divx files, and mkv files.
Both the AZBox and PS3 are connected via HDMI to a Kenwood Audio/Video Amp, so no need for the optical cables, (TV Ltd to 2 HDMI, and the PC uses one of those!)
With all audio Formats set to RAW, the Kenwood does all the decoding, bloody great!
In short, i think this box is great, would not be able to compare to a dm800 as i dont have one, and could not rate the chance of putting a 2nd Sat card in, as i am on a communial dish, with one feed into the house. It is quite a powerfull box, just needs tweaking and setting up right, think the best option at the moment would be wired.

With regards to the guys have problems with their wireless, have you tried changing the Channell??
Have you performed a Wireless Search to see what channels are being used by your neighbours, and avoid them!!
Have you tried switching to just 'b' and not 'b/g' also just 'g'?
Have you tried it with out any other devices connecting wirelessly?

Perhaps if you post what wirless routers you are using, maybe some could help on the config side, may be specific routers (or chipsets) that dont like the AZBox??

Just some ideas!!!

Adi

:D

paulwilko
30-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Well, let me start here, originally got a PS3 to play TV series that i download, and store on a net drive. Obviously i had to keep the PC on with TVersity... any how, when i saw this box, compared the price to the dm800, i thought this box looks way better with better connectivity.
It sits right under the TV, but lucky enough, my router sits behind the TV, so i am connected wired.
My NAS is mapped to the AZBox, by using the NAS plugin. Accessing it is lightning quick. All my Blueray content is stored on the 1TB hard Drive (usb connection) and likewise lightning. I do suffer where i can not skip through the blueray using fastforward, chapter skip is fine, however with the tv from the NAS, all functions are great.
Picture quality is excellent, about the same as the PS3 for image from divx files, and mkv files.
Both the AZBox and PS3 are connected via HDMI to a Kenwood Audio/Video Amp, so no need for the optical cables, (TV Ltd to 2 HDMI, and the PC uses one of those!)
With all audio Formats set to RAW, the Kenwood does all the decoding, bloody great!
In short, i think this box is great, would not be able to compare to a dm800 as i dont have one, and could not rate the chance of putting a 2nd Sat card in, as i am on a communial dish, with one feed into the house. It is quite a powerfull box, just needs tweaking and setting up right, think the best option at the moment would be wired.

With regards to the guys have problems with their wireless, have you tried changing the Channell??
Have you performed a Wireless Search to see what channels are being used by your neighbours, and avoid them!!
Have you tried switching to just 'b' and not 'b/g' also just 'g'?
Have you tried it with out any other devices connecting wirelessly?

Perhaps if you post what wirless routers you are using, maybe some could help on the config side, may be specific routers (or chipsets) that dont like the AZBox??

Just some ideas!!!

Adi

:D

I have tried B and G with no difference. I have tried static and DHCP, with no difference.
I have tried different channels, with no difference.
I have added a range extender with no difference.
The only thing I have not tried is a new router which I may just do
Currently i am using a Linksys WRT54G V1
My Inlaws have a spare Netgear DG834G which I may give a go, but it is annoying that everything, and I mean everything else works perfectly but this crap of a box doesnt !!

I only have 20 peers, so dont think it is overloading it !!!!

I am in the process of starting a fresh and reloading everything, but am sure it is not the set up.
Its one of 2 things In my oppinion, the router or a faulty box !!

goran
30-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Ach, no: that's the best router there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bow-004:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_%28firmware%29Have you Linuxed it?:coolgleamA:

The story of the Linksys Wireless-G Router (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US/Layout&packedargs=c=L_Product_C2&cid=1127782957298&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper) (model WRT54G) and how you can turn a $60 router into a $600 router is a little bit CSI and a little bit Freaks & Geeks. It’s also the story of how the open source movement can produce a win-win scenario for both consumers and commercial vendors. What’s especially exciting is that tricking out this router doesn’t require any **** sleuthing or other hunt for some off-the-wall piece of hardware. Instead, grab it off-the-shelf. The WRT54G is stacked high in every Best Buy and Circuit City across the country and, of course, most online retailers — Amazon.com sells it for $55. It’s ubiquitous and, some would say, a diamond in the rough. Or a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

heyhey
30-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm using the same Linksys router and it works fine. I'm using WEP 64/128(Open). I never use the wired connection but have tried it to ensure it worked :)

Cheers.

hanswurscht
30-11-2009, 11:34 AM

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_%28firmware%29Have you Linuxed it?:coolgleamA:

The "best" Router are some other now, but DD-wrt is the best :)

You can do much more with a Router and DD-wrt as on a Modell which costs 10x more

paulwilko
30-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Blimey, you learn something new everyday.

However, do I really need to get a new FW to make my Azbox talk to the router on a more consistent basis ?

Thx Goran

goran
30-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Just do it!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Carefully following the guidelines, of course but DO IT!!!!! :D You lucky sod, I'll have to buy one [for cable companies, if it exists] meself soon... :D

digihoe
30-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I use the same WRT54G V4 and DD-WRT and as I said I have no problems with wireless... However I run the WRT54G on 200mW, and at most times have 4 devices connected via WiFi. My 100Mbps connection has never reached more than 24Mbps so I'm just runnig it on b/g.

Give DD-WRT a try I think you will be happy with the switch.

Tiptronic
30-11-2009, 03:34 PM
I got WAG160N. Azbox works Perfectly with cable, but when I try to connect with wifi, sometimes after selecting and setting the network, it just wont connect. other times it works perfectly (usually when I dont need it anymore lol). Once it connects there's no problem. (But I move the azbox around a lot, so I don't always have cable.)

ukpaisley
01-12-2009, 12:38 AM
The prob with all networks is-

a) operating system
b) Anti Spy/Virus/firewall

The mix of above can cause all sorts of probs , even 4 IT expert !!

adrray1974
01-12-2009, 12:47 AM
This may help as a temp solution, not yet tried at home but will when i get home in the morning:

On the router:

1 Disable ALL encryption
2 Make SSID visable
3 Rename SSID to incorperate Letters/numbers only i.e home or home1
4 Set Wireless Channel to 11 or 13

On AZBox HD

1 Connect to SSID as above

On Router

1 MAKE SSID invisable

If you still have a connection, then try playing with the encryption, try starting with WEP first etc.

Will post my results in the morning

Adi

adrray1974
01-12-2009, 08:04 AM
Regards to wireless,

Router = Netgear DG834N
FW = V1.02.15
Mode = Upto 130 Mbps
Channel = 11
SSID = xbox-2
Visable = Yes
Encryption = WEP 64Bit (10 x Hex)