PDA

View Full Version : Can I update my s ky card to HD in a SD box?

wallycharlo
02-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I had presumed the answer is 'no', ie one would need a HD box in order for the card to update to the HD channels (so that I can then use it in my DM800).

But there is a report, over on another UK sat forum, that a member managed to add the HD channels to his card using the normal standard definition official box.

Personally I am a bit skeptical about this ...

Any opinions?

cheers ... Wally

paul01609
02-12-2009, 12:13 PM
carnt see why not a card would not update in a offical box but the card needs to be paired to the box,but sly might want to know why you have a sd box and wanting to add hd channels with no hd box

kemik
03-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Can't you call Sky and tell them you bought a Sky HD box and therefore want to upgrade. I bought my Sky HD box from **** and did that before I went to Dreambox ;-)

Sawdust
03-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I try'd it and it didnt work, infact it messed my whole account up because their computer went haywire. A HD sub can only be activated with the serial from a HD box

enrico001u
03-12-2009, 11:49 PM
card can be activated in sd box yes I did it!

but you need a lot of details from a hd box IE: serial no: and software version etc...

if you have a mate with sky hd just call sky from your mates house tell them you bought hd box second hand and give them the details they ask from your mates box.

there is no drawbacks for your mates box.

When card arrives put in your sd box call sky and ask them to activate it.

Worked for me!

crabber
04-12-2009, 02:37 AM
I read (could even have been on here) that someone successfully upgraded to HD with his SD box by getting the details of an HD box that was on sale in a well known store.
As far as I remember he didn't have to call them again, the new card paired with his old SD box without any trouble.
What puzzles me about doing this is what exactly are the ecm and emm's sent to? is it the card number, the box number or a combination of both.
Wouldn't their records show a card that should be paired to an HD box when actually it is paired to an SD one or doesn't this matter?

loveman
04-12-2009, 10:34 AM
I read (could even have been on here) that someone successfully upgraded to HD with his SD box by getting the details of an HD box that was on sale in a well known store.
As far as I remember he didn't have to call them again, the new card paired with his old SD box without any trouble.
What puzzles me about doing this is what exactly are the ecm and emm's sent to? is it the card number, the box number or a combination of both.
Wouldn't their records show a card that should be paired to an HD box when actually it is paired to an SD one or doesn't this matter?
To be honest, I would say that even if it did matter, they wouldn't mind. As, from what they can see, you are paying for a higher sub, and not even getting the use of it. So for them it's better...

wallycharlo
04-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Hmmmm, it may well be that emus will have a problem with new white cards once 0961 is switched off, so perhaps im as well off getting a used hd box in any case ...

-Wally