PDA

View Full Version : sky dish.

chippy
03-12-2009, 09:41 AM
felllow pimps, could you please advise me on the following. is it easy to swap my sky dish hd+ with the dish i am moving to? obviously it is easy enough to just swap but is it then a simple matter of just fiddling until i get a strong signal. i dont think i can just swap lnbs as i think the dish i am moving to is much older. as you can tell i am still learning about this hobby. by the way everything is legal and above board i just want my box tv to be working. cheers for any advice. chippy.

paul01609
03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
hi m8 easy enuff just have alook round see where every one elses dishes are pointing maybe even get a cheap sat bleeper just to help

Gr8Guy
03-12-2009, 10:54 AM
to be fair there's no such thing as an 'HD dish' they're all the same. So as long as the dish in the place you're moving too isn't bent or twisted you can just swap over the LNB.

simon 2003
03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
do you mean where your moving to is the old type round dish for analouge sky,or is it the same sky minidish you already have

chippy
03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
thanks gr8 and simon. sorry if i havent made it clear(getting into a bit of a flap what with moving an alll.) the old dish im moving to doesnt seem to have the same arm arrangement re lnb otherwise i would just swap them over. it doesnt look as though it would fit. if that makes sense. cheers chippy.

chippy
03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
sorry i gorgot no its not the round shape. it is the newish shape i think just rusty.

Detlef
03-12-2009, 01:17 PM
You will need a dual (or more likely a quad) LNB for Sky+ as it requires 2 inputs to perform well. That means you will also need to run a second coax cable.

You might find this thread useful:

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=121516

chippy
03-12-2009, 01:51 PM
it seems that after looking more closely at the arms and lnbs im just going to swap them over.(when it stops raining). all im worried about is making sure that i leave satellite tv working for the new owners.do you think that it is just a case of sliding one off and replacing with the other. having read the thread it seems as though this can be done .all you help is realy appreciated. chippy .

Detlef
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
If the arms are the normal Sly rectangular ones, then yes the LNB complete with the rectangular tongue just pull out.

There may be what looks like a screw going through the arm into the tongue but it is usually just a plastic pin and can be prised out with a thin screwdriver or penknife blade.

Some of the arms are a bit over-sized and the tongue is a sloppy fit - I usually wrap a bit of insulating tape over the end of the arm to stop it rattling.