PDA

View Full Version : Dish size for Portugal?

Tony Baker
08-12-2009, 10:41 PM
What's the best size dish for a forthcoming installation at an ex pat's villa situated in the middle of Portugal? Will a 1:metre motorised dish suffice?

skomedal
08-12-2009, 10:55 PM
What's the best size dish for a forthcoming installation at an ex pat's villa situated in the middle of Portugal? Will a 1:metre motorised dish suffice?

Depends on what sats. and packages that its expected to open, as you did not specify this..

Regards

Tony Baker
08-12-2009, 11:19 PM
It's actually for a neighbor who is moving over there shortly. They would like to receive some UK Channels but they don't really want to go down the expensive Sly route! I'm not sure which ones or indeed what Sat's they can expect to pick up with a 1:m dish, - hence the post.

echelon
09-12-2009, 01:25 AM
well , they may get some uk channels ( depending on the size of dish ) , but in portugal I would say they will get mainly spanish and portuguese channels from 30 west and 19 east , and some channels from hotbird as well

I would also expect you would need a dish of more like 1.8 to 2.4 metres if they wanted channels like bbc1 , bbc2 or itv etc

but as mentioned earlier its really down to the channels they want and not the sats , unless they just wanted local channels in which case they should be ok with a smaller dish

the problem here is they expect to get uk channels in foreign lands

ie:- they go to portugal but want uk bbc1 , uk itv , uk heinz baked beans and all other things uk

if you check satellite footprints on lyng sat or king of sat websites you will get more of an idea

FXMan
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
Someone I know has a villa in Portugal and receives the usual UK FTA channels (BBC, ITV) via a SŁY box on a 1.4 meter dish. It isn't motorised as he has no need of any other channels other than those from SŁY's Astra satellite.