PDA

View Full Version : 6900 HD Super Patch Query

johntee50
19-12-2009, 02:07 AM
I was having a little problem with the latest 703p firmware. When using 8281, I would be switching various connection boxes on and off and with no warning the box would reboot. I thought it may be a faulty installation of the patch. I used the "Go back" patch from the Technomate site which reverts to a 688 unpatched firmware. Just out of curiosty I then installed the 688p patch. To my surprise, instead of only having 4 usable connections, i.e 1 to 4, ALL 24 of the the connections worked and the data that I had input with the 703p firmware was still in the connection boxes.
Can anyone tell me what is actualy erased and overwritten when reverting to an earlier patch ? It appears that not everything is removed when using an earlier patch, especially data that is input into the connection boxes. I even tried reverting to a patch prior to the 8281 being available, 651p I think it was, but on installing the latest 703 patch the data was still there, including the on and off settings of each box. The rebooting at random when switching the boxes on and off also remains.
I would be glad to hear any thoughts or infomation anyone may have on this.

Regards, JT.

Giga
19-12-2009, 08:09 AM
will try to explain: memory is split in 2 parts: program & data. The patch overwrites the program part not the data part.
Rebooting can have several causes:
using n e w c a m d & c c c a m together?
bad data received from one of your connected servers?
Have you applied the filters (group, c a i d & i d e n t) could ease the traffic from and to the receiver?
when your saying the 24 connections worked? did these open channels or just showed connected?
the 24 lines do these contain all the available ports from 1 server or do you drop the ones you don't use? lets say you use one server to get s k y i t a l i a with the N D S port do you leave the other ports (v i a c c, s e c a, c o n a, ...)? If so you could get the situation where a channel requests data from several encryptions used? one that opens the channel, the other wrong data that conflicts in the receiver?

Rebooting seems to happen when the ether network port is connected to the WAN? Is your Technomate still behind the router or did you place it in the DMZ and the box appears unprotected on the internet.

As with computers that can be attacked from the internet with wrong data packets and reboot, the same can happen with any other device on the internet.

so testing what works and what is not working could improve the C S experience with this receiver? Be glad you have it working.

johntee50
19-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I suspected that the data was left intact. I never use Cc-cam, only NewcamD. All 24 connections worked and connected and opened channels with 688p. This leads me to believe that not all the program data is overwritten when reverting to an earlier patch. The 700 series of patches are bigger than the 600 series and I dont see any messages about erasing when reverting to earlier or later patches. The box is behind the router and not in the DMZ, so it is behind a firewall. That has never been a problem for me.
If I leave things as they were set when I switch the box on, then no reboots. It's only when switching connections on and off that it reboots.
Apart from that, the software works OK for me. I was just curious as to whether or not there was any erasure of the program data or was it simply overwritten.

Regards, JT.

Edit. Any ports that are not being used are switched off.