PDA

View Full Version : Replace old Sly dish

oldjiver
20-12-2009, 12:06 PM
As mentioned in previous posts I am going for Sly HD (to get the free box) I had Sly about 8-10 years ago (cant remember exactly) and have a minidish installed besides my 1mtr motorised.
Question is.. The installer is coming on the 24th Dec. Should he replace the dish and wiring? or leave it alone. Also Sly are very vague about fitting costs (I am paying £30) for extras. Does taking the old dish down count as "Extra"
Any advice welcomed. Dont trust anyone nowadays (except dudes)

satwyn
20-12-2009, 12:19 PM
yes usially includes standard intall but not sure ask when they arrive if extra just ask for the dish as spare if possible

bobbyboil
20-12-2009, 01:21 PM
if you dont already have sky + he will need to change the lnb for a quad output and route another length of cable in, or you could have the twin cable

highway1
20-12-2009, 01:38 PM
if u turn sky off and get them to install new system ( so ur be new customer ) think £30 installed they give u new box dish etc . aiso get a hd box or sky+ in the deal . (( dont for get to take ur old dish down ))

koshba
20-12-2009, 01:42 PM
I would say get rid of the old dish mate if u can,then they have no choice but to put up a new dish for you,new 1s are bigger and better.

oldjiver
22-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Yes I had'nt thought of taking the old one off myself. Would save an arguement on the day I supppose. Although I am disabled I am 6'4" so I can reach it.
Whats the law on two dishes?
I can use the old one to scoop the snow up!!!!!

Prontopro
22-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Try this interactive guide for whether you need planning permission for 2 dishes.

_http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/ant/antenna_guide.html

oldjiver
22-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Thanks Prontopronto,
Unfortunately I got the wrong answer??
Apparently 2 antennae do need planning permission. I got a different answer from the guy who installed my 1mtr motorised next to my sly dish. I think it went on the line of "nobodies ever had to take one down"
Anyone know different and will I get an arguement from the sly installer?:ack2:

simon 2003
22-12-2009, 03:23 PM
no they wont care a jot m8,dont worry ,id get him to do a new cable run for both feeds as cable can deteriorate over time,not sure if the new ones are bigger or better ,the ravens some installers use with the side arm are not as good as the older type on a j-pipe IMO and will be same size zone 1's are about 45cm's

oldjiver
23-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I cut a length out of the old cable so he will have to replace that. Tried to get the old dish down but its hard to reach and I darent climb on anything in this snow. Only 4 bolts so not a problem (I think)

Chief Wiggum
06-01-2010, 08:48 PM
As an installer myself subby to sly this is what can happen. If an upgrade then it is an engineers choice to fit new dish or not depending on condition, yes you will need a new feed if going from standard to plus or hd and a quad. A new install as a new subscriber entitles you to a dish. Can we all remember PLEASE self employed pay for that cable not sly ! twin costs us 100 a drum dish's are free so if u want a new dish leave cable a take off old dish.

Cheers guys