PDA

View Full Version : DM800 PSU Dead...

loveman
01-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi guys.

Was just watching some tv this afternoon on the dreambox, and then all of a sudden it cut off... Took out power supply thinking it'd crashed, plugged it back in, and still nothing. Then, I tried the power supply from dreambox 500 clone, and it booted up.

Currently, I've found a plug from an old adsl router which has same spec (12v, 1a) and it's booted up fine. But was just wondering if people could say whether or not this would be safe for the dreambox to use it with this plug in? The current psu's I've seen for these are the ones which have a kind of transformer box (i.e. figure of 8 lead in to the box and then that box into dreambox), whereas this is just a little box which has a plug straight in it, so dunno whether it's of any benefit or any detriment?

What are dmm like in sending replacement psus? Should I just not bother even asking them? As it was about 18 months ago I bought it, I assume it's only a 12 month warranty...

Any further help would be greatful.

Many thanks :)

aabs
01-01-2010, 08:06 PM
The original DM800 PSU is manufactured by DSA and is about $7.00 wholesale but thats no good to you. I have come across them on a well known auction site but i just checked for you and there is none on at the moment last one went for £1.99 on 6 Dec.
Never had to try to get something from DMM on warranty but you aint asking for much if they get them in a less than $7.00 a unit.
However if you have no joy do a search for the following.......DSA-36w-12

Good Luck
Andy

loveman
01-01-2010, 08:14 PM
And what do you think about the current adapter I'm using in the mean time, will it be ok whilst I'm waiting to get a replacement? Or could it cause any damage?

echelon
01-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I cant see a problem , as the dreambox will only take in the current it requires

I actually use a pc psu and use the 12 volt rail and earth , and this works just fine

loveman
01-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Well now I'm starting to wonder whether it is something more to do with the actual box or not? As I just had the box cut off again same as earlier... This time however, I managed to unplug the power supply I have (which isn't the original as specified), and plugged it back in, and it's loaded up this time... Just that I'm starting to worry that it's something more than just the power supply, and that the box is on it's way out?!

enrico001u
01-01-2010, 08:37 PM
try your old psu again.
sometimes when dm800 is restarted it wont react first time to power been plugged in

If I were you I would upgrade image to latest version or at least re-flash.
have you got a fan fitted?
If not might be an idea to put an old pc processor fan on it!

echelon
01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
certainly sounds more like the old overheating problem , which has been covered in great depth on here , and is one reason my box is in a htpc case and using a pc psu to power it , and pc fans to cool it !

enrico001u
01-01-2010, 08:43 PM
my dm800 is strange
if I cool it with fans then I get the freezing probs with certain hd channels
but if I let it run warm with no fans then all channels are fine!

Strange probs I know but has been running warm for a while with no probs.
I just have to use a smargo instead of internal reader cos sly card got way too hot!

loveman
01-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Will try old psu again later. Just trying to reflash box at the mo, as it currently seems to keep rebooting when loading...

As for having a fan fitted, I do have a fan in there which has been working perfectly previously, and seems to still be working now... So I wouldn't have thought it was an overheating prob... But who knows?! Just hope that it will start working fine when I've rebooted the box?!

Just tried old psu again ... nothing!

enrico001u
01-01-2010, 08:54 PM
just out of interest

is it a clone?
and what image do you use?

mine is a clone and the patched nabilo12 works great

loveman
01-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Nope, not a clone, original dm800 as verified by plugin a while back...

Am currently using oozoon lean on flash, and had gemini 4.5 on barry allen. At the mo tho, not got barry allen back installed yet, as reinstalling oozoon :p

loveman
01-01-2010, 09:09 PM
OK, just after reflashing the flash with oozoon image, I've got it booting back up, and it's also booted in to my gemini image on multiboot ba... So we'll see how things go from here...

Right, after about 30 mins of watching a recorded programme, the box just restarted itself, and has loaded back up. Appears to have loaded up fine in to the image ok. But wondering if I should just leave the box alone not plugged in until I get a new psu...

OK, so a bit of testing. After it had started booting up, I tried watching the film again. It just started, and then rebooted again. On next bootup, chose a different image (nabilosat 0.12) to see if it would make any difference, and as it started up, it was changing satellite, so chose to move back to 28.2, and as it started moving back, bam, restarted again.

Now, I've got the psu from the dm500 clone, and plugged that in, and it's booted up just fine now, and have been watching the tv for the past 15 mins or so... So I dunno whether it's just the psu from the adsl modem I was using causing it to crash again, or not. But going to see how well it goes with this...

A
01-01-2010, 09:54 PM
update the flash if not using the latest

loveman
01-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Have already reflashed as stated previously in the thread...

Been watching a further 15 mins now, and it's still working out at the mo. So I'm guessing that the old power supply has actually died, and the new plug I was using wasn't to the correct specification...

aabs
02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey loveman,

Just been reading back through the thread and your router PSU has an output of 1a according to your post.
The original OUTPUT of the the DM800 PSU is 12V 3A.
The INPUT to the original DM800 PSU is 110/240V 1A.

Maybee i have read your post wrong but it looks to me that the output from your adsl router falls a little short to sustain the load on it.

loveman
02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah, probably what it was, as I read the 1a and thought that it was correct...

Have had it running throughout the night using the power of the dm500 clone, and all appears to have been ok... So, I'm awaiting to hear from dmm to see if they can send me a replacement :)

aabs
03-01-2010, 07:22 PM
If you have no joy with DMM checkout desmonds17817 who was selling a new one on 6/12/09 for £1.99

loveman
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Cheers, looks like he's not selling one at the mo tho :( So guess will c what dmm say, and if not look at alternative (cheapest which seemed reliable so far was about £12)

Cheers anyway. Just want one asap so can get other box up and running....

loveman
05-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Well, can't fault dmm. I got an email yesterday morning from them, asking where to send the replacement. Emailed back with address. Got an email saying it would be sent asap, then another email with ups tracking details. Should be expected with me on Thursday :)

Well done dmm. Many thanks and great work :respect-059: :respect-046:

aabs
06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Good to know you got a good level of customer service.
:respect-023:
Well done DMM.

loveman
06-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Yup, was even received earlier than expected, since the UPS site said I'd receive tomorrow, and it arrived tonight :) That's more due to UPS getting it delivered quicker, but gotta congratulate dmm on the speedy send out of the psu :)

Put it on the box, and it seems to be working fine now, so no probs and many thanks dmm :)