PDA

View Full Version : Dm800 modified

enrico001u
12-01-2010, 01:54 AM
This is what happens when you've been out of work for a while you find silly stuff to do.

I got bored with my old dm800 case so decided to get creative with an old phillips streamium I had lying around.

I now Have a powerful fan inside the case aswell as two hard drives.
1 sata and the other ide convertered to usb 2.0

I have also foiund that the remote control works a hundred times better I can point it in any direction in my front room from any distance and it works great.

ssjenkins
12-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Show off ! :)

mrbleu500
12-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Cool mod enrico !!

enrico001u
12-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I did originally put it in a sly box casing which worked good also but there was no room for the extra hard-drive!

dave3dg
12-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Well done m8:king-041:

sonic1
12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Nice and tidy m8 and still takes up less space then ech's mod :D

echelon
12-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Nice and tidy m8 and still takes up less space then ech's mod :D

agree with you there m8

I am still on the lookout for a decent box with psu for the hdd , similar to what I use now but a lot smaller in size , more of a tm9100 size to be honest about it , I am looking into using an old sly plus box , shame its white though ;)

once I do find something smaller I will transplant into it from my htpc case

kemik
14-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Very nice

Only thing it needs is a larger LCD display mod that would be really cool if it showed the channel info, etc larger on the front

tiesto
14-01-2010, 01:19 PM
My modifications are still ongoing.

Kinda like the alfresco look meself :respect-050:

H E R E (http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1244/usey.jpg)

tiesto
14-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Two hot swap plug and play tuners , one for Dvbs 1 for Dvbc.

The mrs had other ideas so when shes at home they look like this

H E R E (http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8849/p1010005o.jpg)

:respect-053:

kemik
14-01-2010, 01:29 PM
My modifications are still ongoing.

Kinda like the alfresco look meself :respect-050:

H E R E (http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1244/usey.jpg)

One way to solve the fan cooling issues ;-)

Is that a DM800 running with 2 x tuners then?? Is that possible to just add another tuner surely not?

tiesto
14-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Its kinda errr manually operated hot swap plug and play tuners :respect-048:

canthackit
14-01-2010, 02:11 PM
@ tiesto

it dont look like you are powering the fan via the usb how are you doing it mate?

regards: canthackit

simon 2003
14-01-2010, 02:17 PM
nice 1 enrico m8,gonna probably look at somthing like this ,why the f&*k DMM put it in such a small case amazes me the remote range is awful on mine too glad this may solve it

tiesto
14-01-2010, 02:23 PM
@ canthackit , hi m8 its connected to the rear usb port not the internal one :)
Follow the wires and you 'll see where they join a silver usb cable :)

Can't wait for the cloned 8000 in february :respect-066:

Stev0
14-01-2010, 05:51 PM
@ tiesto what fan are they and where did you get them from?? because im the look out for small fans(currently using notebook cooler), also are the silent ones??

tiesto
14-01-2010, 11:50 PM
@ Stev0 i got them H E R E (http://cgi.****.co.uk/USB-fan-LED-notebook-laptop-cooler-cooling-pad-Fit-PS3_W0QQitemZ110479163538QQcmdZVi ewItemQQptZUK_Computing_LaptopAcc ess_RL?hash=item19b9124092) M8,
well worth it, still silent after 4 months. :chinese-bow-005:

canthackit
15-01-2010, 05:50 PM
@ canthackit , hi m8 its connected to the rear usb port not the internal one :)
Follow the wires and you 'll see where they join a silver usb cable :)

Can't wait for the cloned 8000 in february :respect-066:

thanks mate i see it eventually :woohoo-022: that's how i've got mine connected:respect-037:

so another question if i may :grouphug: is there a way to incoporate and on/off swithch of some sort into the eqasion, as i find it a bit annoying to have to unplug each time i reboot/power off.

loveman
15-01-2010, 09:52 PM
thanks mate i see it eventually :woohoo-022: that's how i've got mine connected:respect-037:

so another question if i may :grouphug: is there a way to incoporate and on/off swithch of some sort into the eqasion, as i find it a bit annoying to have to unplug each time i reboot/power off.

I remember something being said somewhere about using a pin from the scart plug, since when you put it in standby, it turns the fan off, and turn it on, it turns it on...

simon 2003
15-01-2010, 10:11 PM
good call loveman its here
https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=90860&highlight=scart
post 22,think that fan tiesta linked would look good ontop of a db800

canthackit
17-01-2010, 04:53 PM
for those of you that know what i'm talking bout, i've been on the thread above, and this is what's happened

but i just connected pin 8 (purple wire) to the + positive and the pin 21 - negative to the (green wire) but ti dont work, do i need to solder wires? as i thought so long as wire was there it would work.

and to further that, if i just connect the spades to the +/- red and balck on the fan and push them into the appropiate scart slots should not work as well?

please advise.

canthackit
18-01-2010, 10:43 AM
ok got it working :respect-055:

cant thank the creator if this little fix enough :respect-040::bowing-036:

re-edit: after i plugged in the fan it's working, but now a new problem has arisen, the DB does not respond to the remote, i've treid 3 different remotes, the universial i always use, the one that came with the DB, and the universal from my amp, and apart from when rebooting the first couple of button pushes works.... after that nada.

unplug the fan everything works, plug it back in again nada.

simon 2003
18-01-2010, 03:50 PM
thats a weird one m8,ive just done it and no problems of that sort DMM remote fully working i just used the wires already attached to spades and twisted them onto the fan wires then just tinned the wire with soldering iron,ive used this fan
http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/kitsparts/cooling_fan01_1.JPG
still back to the drawing board though as seems not enough power to turn the 2 fans,if i spin them with my finger they stay on but cannot be arsed doin that also i doubt they are doin much cooling if they havnt enough power to spin up themselves,

think ill stick a usb plug on it,did i misunderstand a comment earlier is there an internal usb socket?

canthackit
18-01-2010, 04:20 PM
hi Simon
yes! i also think it's a power problem, i've just connected a smaller fan and the remote is working fine, but like your's dont generate much wind force:cuss:

on the usb side of things am i reading you right and you want to know how to connect the fan via usb?

if you are it's just the same way mate, just cut an old usb cable and use the red and black wires (obviously), the only thing with this option and hence me restarting the thread is that the fan will be on the whole time.

simon 2003
18-01-2010, 04:41 PM
cheers m8 , our search for the soluton continues i guess you could put some kind of inline switch on the usb cable

echelon
28-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I have just transplanted mine from a htpc box into a plus box , added the 12 volt plus rear fan as well as the previous additional 5 volt chip min-fan , and added a separate psu from an old dvd copybox I was given , as this will provide power for the dreambox and also the fans , as well as the 3.5 inch sata hdd drive ( 250 gig drive used )

the OLED was previously extended using pc parts and ribbon cables , and is front mounted where the roundel was ( in the middle where the play led is ) , and 2 holes drilled for the remote led and the reset button. I now need to extend the card reader from back left to front right of the box ( below the right hand flap ) by making a plugin extension cable up

picture below of the project to date ( top view from rear of the box )

enrico001u
28-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Very nice!

canthackit
30-01-2010, 01:39 PM
I have just transplanted mine from a htpc box into a plus box , added the 12 volt plus rear fan as well as the previous additional 5 volt chip min-fan , and added a separate psu from an old dvd copybox I was given , as this will provide power for the dreambox and also the fans , as well as the 3.5 inch sata hdd drive ( 250 gig drive used )

the OLED was previously extended using pc parts and ribbon cables , and is front mounted where the roundel was ( in the middle where the play led is ) , and 2 holes drilled for the remote led and the reset button. I now need to extend the card reader from back left to front right of the box ( below the right hand flap ) by making a plugin extension cable up

picture below of the project to date ( top view from rear of the box )

@ echelon

can't you get a job at DMM and show them how to design a satellite box they could certainly do with you :respect-055:

echelon
30-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I always though that a case like the plus or a tm9100 or similar would be an ideal case , they decided to make them too small and so all the stuff gets plugged in including the psu , and you cannot add an internal 3.5 inch sata hdd even though they are cheaper than the 2.5 inch sata hdd , meaning you have to use an external E-sata and that also needs a separate psu

my solutions always intended to solve these issues and have everything required in one box , in this case the amstr*d plus box , but one of the other makes may be better , and ideally I would like a black one for aesthetics

I have almost finished it now , and intend to add a rear fascia plate to tidy up the back , and add a cheap internal 5 volt , 7 way usb hub and connect in the front mounted usb socket under the plus box front card flap on the right hand side , using the internal usb connector next to the dmm card reader as a means of connecting into the dream.

the last job will be to fit a card reader and extension lead connected to the old season type of interface ( the green pcb gold card should do for this re-using the connectors where the 2 chips used to sit ) and maybe re-using the card reader off the plus mobo :) ).

recycling old equipment also makes it very cost effective , and the end result is better performance from the front led detector , stabilised internal psu providing 5 volt and 12 volt , 5 volt chip fan and rear mounted 12 volt original fan for cooling ) , and a powered usb hub allowing a front mounted usb socket to work , just in case , all neatly wrapped up inside one box that isnt that much bigger and fits in neatly with any other boxes like a dvd recorder etc

the trick here is finding the correct stuff to recycle , as a pc psu is physically too big in size , and you have to modify stuff accordingly , including making up a lead for the front mounted OLED to work ( the original lead is very short ). I find recycling old sat parts and especially old pc parts are ideal in this situation as the similarities are immense , and you could even add a fan controller so you can optimise the fan speed versus any noise in order to get the right balance.

but as you can see from my modifications , and other members modifications , its all possible , and yes I do agree that I would do it differently from the design stage if I worked for dmm :)

apple
30-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Two hot swap plug and play tuners , one for Dvbs 1 for Dvbc.

The mrs had other ideas so when shes at home they look like this

H E R E (http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8849/p1010005o.jpg)

:respect-053:

From your picture I see you are using 2 tuners. Anyone know if we can install 2 Satelite tuners on DM800s and use them to watch other channel and record different channel like with DM8000 with 2 tuners?

ssjenkins
30-01-2010, 05:54 PM
I personally think the box is too big . I'm starting a new project as you can see from the photo .

Sammy

echelon
25-02-2010, 03:48 PM
here is my finished project

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?p=702892#post70289 2