PDA

View Full Version : Newbie DIY Dish setup.

bobonthejob
01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Hi All,

I am going to install a Motorised dish myself. Well... i mean i will try. The kit i am using is...

-orbital 80cm dish
-irdeto twin output LNB
-Technomate 2600 Motor

Ive been to dishpointer.com and pulled of the following.

Latitude: 52.6566°
Longitude: -1.1458°

Satellite: 0.8W Thor 3, 5
Elevation: 29.8°
Azimuth (true): 179.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 181.9°

1. The elevation suggested is 29.8°. So do i set it up with the 29.8° on my motor or do i, as i have read ... 90 - Lat (52.6566) = 37.34°?

2. In theory then if everything is plum straight i would need to point the dish in the general direction of 0.8W. I do not have a compass so i am taking a baring from dishpointer for the direction to point to.

3. Once done...
on the reciever (VU+ duo) set tuner 'a' to motorised and set the longitude and latitude as below. With Tuner 'b' to connect through to the settings of tuner 'a'

Latitude: 52.656 North
Longitude: 1.145 West

Im thinking now that satfinder will tell me if i am in the right direction or not and move the dish left or right to get a lock on the satellite.

I cam across another figure 'Skew by: -0.3°' - Is there something i need to do with this value in the setup?

Hopefully that would be me..? Have i missed anything.

Thanks in advance guys for all your help.

Bob. :bow-004:

gerryl
01-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Latitude: 52.6566°
Longitude: -1.1458°

1. The elevation suggested is 29.8°. So do i set it up with the 29.8° on my motor or do i, as i have read ... 90 - Lat (52.6566) = 37.34°?

2. In theory then if everything is plum straight i would need to point the dish in the general direction of 0.8W. I do not have a compass so i am taking a baring from dishpointer for the direction to point to.

3. Once done...
on the reciever (VU+ duo) set tuner 'a' to motorised and set the longitude and latitude as below. With Tuner 'b' to connect through to the settings of tuner 'a'

Latitude: 52.656 North
Longitude: 1.145 West

Im thinking now that satfinder will tell me if i am in the right direction or not and move the dish left or right to get a lock on the satellite.

I cam across another figure 'Skew by: -0.3°' - Is there something i need to do with this value in the setup?

Bob. :bow-004:...not the best on the subject but to avoid ye going off in the wrong direction, some! advice

with pole and dish 'plum' level

on one side of the motor should be Latitude so set to 52.6566° (53 should do!)

The motor has a zero...so if yer using USUALS or GOTO the set the dish 100% 'true' south

Then on STB input yer
Latitude: 52.656 North = 52.656
Longitude: -1.145 West = 358.885

No LNB Skew on motor set=ups

go to stb setup menu try to get BBC World at 11342 / 24501 1West move the motor 1° til ye get a lock (ye may need to adjust the elevation 'slightly' on the motor to boost the signal)....then store and scan the transponder save...USUALS should do the rest otherwise ye need to repeat for all Sats...best luck

bobonthejob
01-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Doh...Im thinking whether i should get someone else to do this now. LOL.

All this time i was thinking that the angle of elevation is 29.8° as per the out put from dishpointer.com. Everyone so far has said to set it to This too. But then i read somewhere else that it will be (90 - Latitude value = angle of elevation).

gerryl - are you suggesting that the technomate 2600 does not ask for the angle of elevation but the latitude.? Also how did you get Longitude: -1.145 West = 358.885. How did you calculate the value 358.885. I take it, it is 360 - 1.145. Therefore would be 358.885W as the longitude and not 1.145W as i suggested.

Finally i am going to use catseyes channel listing and upload to the stb via dbedit. So the channel listing should already be done. Im just hoping after i have the general directions that the 'satfinder' app will help me align to 0.8 W Thor.

Thanks guys.

TheBadger
02-02-2010, 08:14 AM
You might find this useful.

bobonthejob
02-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Woh woh.... :-)

Will try make sense of that. Damn! Anyone wanna fit my dish for me. Just kidding i should still give it a whirl? Shouldnt i?

ssjenkins
02-02-2010, 10:32 AM
You don't need to know all that information .

Yeah , you should give it a try . It'll drive you nuts but it's good when you finally fet it alligned . 2 bits of advice .

1) Make sure the mounting pole is completely vertical on ALL sides . If it's not then you'll have problems .

2) Set the motor elevation as described in the manual according to your geographical position . Once it's set don't touch it again . This will never change .

I don't know what motor you have but I basically do the following with my STAB .

1) Put lat. and lon. in receiver . Start with USALS .
2) Send the dish to 13E , or 0.8W . It doesn't matter .
3) A sat meter is essential for best results and a compass will help . Turn the whole motor assembly (on the pole) left or right and the dish elevation up or down to lock onto 13E (or 0.8W) to get the best signal .
4) Tighten up the nuts a bit , but not too much as you'll probably have to
re-adjust .
5) Move the dish eastwards one sat at a time and see how the allignment goes . You'll either be too high or too low or you might get it right first time . I've never been so lucky . Write down the values . Do the same going westwards . You'll either be too high or too low . Write it down .
6) Use the drawing in the manual to match your situation . For example last week on mine my eastern sats were too high and my wests were too low so I had to move the whole assembly SLIGHTLY clockwise and start searching and storing again . It takes time and patience .

Finally you may want or have to to adjust the LNB skew a little when you've finished . Once you've found your first sat then manually turn your LNB according to your location . Some info on skew here :

_http://www.igp.net/Antenna_Alignment/Index.php

My pole isn't 100% vertical . It's probably about 95% . Because of that I've had to sacrifice a bit of signal loss (not much) on the far eastern and western sats .

On that subject couldn't STAB have added a couple of buttons to move the motor manually east and west . My crappy little illusion motor had this feature and saved me doing 40 trips up and down to the roof .

Good luck !

bobonthejob
02-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey all...The motor is Technomate 2600... Anyone with expirience on this motor and dish setup?

highway1
02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
quoke i did might help .

way i set up motor is to set motor "0" in middle.
and make sure pole is level . put dish on pole ./ Elevation to right setting as u said .
if possbile set up satellite box to right lnb and right freq and satellite channel fta . 1 west .
take tv out ( satellite box ) . move pole manual and soon as u got channel . ur 1.2 way where . crack nuts on pole and move with sat box to check.

dizz
02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
If you see my thread on Tavistock, I've got a very similar set up to you. I ended up getting someone with a meter, because I didn't give the box enough time to get a signal and also because by dish elevation was out. Now i've seen it done, I think as everyone says here you can do it yourself. You just need to follow the advice offered carefully and do one thing at a time. I know that I failed, but the advice I was offered was spot on and with hindsight I should have been successful.

echelon
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM
you need to follow the instructions in the sticky threads on here , not all that elevation mumbo jumbo

the motor will be set to your latitude , and as stated you should use usals and send the motor to 1w thor on bbc world after putting in your longitude and your latitude on your receiver , this will place the motor in the correct place. then disconnect the motor and go direct to the lnb

now take away your latitude from 60 , and use that final figure and take that away from your dish offset value , so if you were on 53 degrees you would get 7 , and if the dish was an offset of 26 degrees , then 26 - 7 = 19 which is basically what my dish is on

so my motor would be on around 53 for latitude and around 19 degrees on the dish elevation , and set to 1w , and get on bbc world or similar

so follow the advice given by ssjenkins , and also read some of the other threads in here of a similar vein , especially any sticky threads

like post 28 in here https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=123630&page=2

bobonthejob
02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
@highway1 - Wow that was a quick run down.

Any chance of a step by step with numbers? Im hoping that by the end of this i will have enought information to write up something that i can share alongwith pictures.

Thanks in advance.

echelon
02-02-2010, 01:25 PM
@highway1 - Wow that was a quick run down.

Any chance of a step by step with numbers? Im hoping that by the end of this i will have enought information to write up something that i can share alongwith pictures.

Thanks in advance.

clearly you have not taken my advice about reading through the sticky threads , as there are good details with pictures too

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=98442

https://www.satpimps.co.uk/showthread.php?t=58680

highway1
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
above guide is better.

1) way i set up motor is to set motor "0" in middle.

2) pole is level . put dish on pole

3) Elevation to right setting as u said for above .

4) wire the dish up.

5) u plug in coax tune ( unplug 1st )
ur box 2 a 1 west channel of link below.

_http://w*w.lyngsat.com/1west.html

FTA channel i just tested for u working is on my set up today .
12643 V Pratech TV 2740 604 837 Ro if can pick up or pick other.

6) unplug or stand by box after tuning above ( some need unpluging incase unplug )

7) move dish left right and if u find channel above . mark pole+motor with tape. ( were u got tv picture ).

8) where the motor is also . where 1 west is .
ruler and work out cm it out . if moved east move motor un crack nuts and move dish bit to right untill u get motor to "0" approx. 2 tape line on pole .

9) motor should be now to "0" to tape line . and move crack nuts and move motor

_http://w*w.galaxy-marketing.com/hh_Diagram1pic.gif

10 set the limit in box setup ( 0.8 west will be zero or change a bit )

11) if u get 2 approx "0" then u move dish to 28.2 and back to 1 west and then to 30 west .

might have 2 move dish height 0.5mm to get 28.2 east .
some get 50 east to 50 west if ur uk based. and lucky

12) then u set ur limits for moving .

i use dish arm so i only get 30 east to 30 west.

bobonthejob
02-02-2010, 02:20 PM
@echelon - sorry mate... i did read them before i started my inital post. I wasnt sure whether installation instructions may have changed since the posts on the stickies. Sound like not.

Thanks all...will be back if i struggle. ;-)

echelon
02-02-2010, 02:26 PM
@echelon - sorry mate... i did read them before is tarted my inital post. I wasnt sure whether installation instructions may have chnaged since the posts on the stickies. Sound like not.

Thanks all...will be back if i struggle. ;-)

setting up a diseqc dish on a diseqc motor is unlikely to change and all the details are relevant and unlikely to change

the only changes may be the channels used , or their frequency details , so I have also posted a jan 2010 list of strong channels in the sticky thread , compiled by a moderator on another site

and as mentioned above , pratech or bbc world are good starters as they are strong and fta

Homer
02-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Hi bobonthejob,

You could always let people know approximately where you are and see if someone will come and help for a beer or two !

Tmull
02-02-2010, 04:24 PM
If it is any use to you note the following, If your Longitude is 1.something W then you are almost on the Greenwich meridian,which means at 1200 Hrs (midday) the sun is true south( Not exactly correct as something called Equation of Time must be taken into account) but near enough for your purposes. Every 1dreegre W you are just add 4 minutes to midday time. Go for it.Part of the enjoyment of this game is achiving something worthwhile. .I would suggest to get the dish up and fool around with to get the signal. A small portable close to your dish will help.TMULL

highway1
02-02-2010, 05:25 PM
i found out the hard way . paid £100 for an installer took him 60 mins . good rate of pay for him 10 years ago .

all info is on the links above . only thing missing is u doing it ;-) .
can take 30mins two 3 hours 2 line up .

moved other location and tryed my self

aiso note box should have a built in signal meter .

aiso 80cm is small for some parts of uk i woud have gone for 1.2m for £20 more.

if u cant do yell.com or scoot.co.uk

bobonthejob
02-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Hey all....Im in the leicester city area....

@highway1 - 1.2M lol....My wife would kill me. She is already saying that the 80cm is too big...

bobonthejob
03-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Ok...update...

I have setup my orbital dish. Connected it all together (Thats is all the pieces and nuts and bolts).

LNB is in its mount....I have connected up the bracket and then in turn connected up to the TM 2600 Motor. The motor is set to 0 and is inline staright with the dish. The motor has the option of setting the Elevation or latitude. I have set the latitude on the motor to 52.7° (or there about).

Now...ive come to setting the dish elvation. The dish elevation i found i need to put is 22° according to the motors manual. The orbital dish has 2 scales on the pivot point. The two scales are marked up with 85 and 80 - therfore setting 22° on one scale shows differnet on the other scale. Im not sure which one i should be following.

@echelon - Would i follow as you said above? taking the latitude 52 from 60 = 8. Then 22 (the suggested Dish bracket angle in the manual) - 8 = 14. Then set the scale to 14? But on which scale...The one marked with 85 or 80. The dish is an Orbital 80cm.

OR am i blowing this all out of proportion and there is not value to calculate....and that the 80 relates to the dish size and hence to use that scale and set it to 22° as described in the table in the manual for the motor.

Thanks in advance guys. Nearly there. Once this is done...i need to climb the ladder.

Bob.

UPDATE - Just done some more reading... Google searched on the dish and came across a post on another forum too...
22 is what i will set. the tm2100 arm is at a 30 degree angle...therefore i figure my angle of declanation from dishpointer.com. Hence 30 - 7.5 = 22 or thereabout. Cheers all.

Gone_Fishing
04-02-2010, 07:48 PM
If its a diseqc motor and your in the UK it doesn't have to be this difficult

Motor elevation angle = Latitude

Dish elevation angle = In the UK between 22 & 25 degrees (mines 25)

Not exactly hard when the numbers are written on the dish and motor lol

If you haven't got a compass and meter your making life difficult but not impossible

Just input USUALS info choose FTA channel on 1W so dish drives to 1W position on the motor then physically move dish and pole until you have a picture, if your pole is correct the rest will just fall into place

Do you have a wireless laptop as the web interface has signal meters which may help as you don't have a meter, assuming that box has web interface ?

TNT

bobonthejob
04-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi Mate,

I have put the dish up...yup...set the dish angle to 22 degrees. I know im trying to be a hero without a meter and compass...that wont help me.

From dishpointer i have found the general direction of 0.8W and have moved the dish (and motor and all - motor set to 0) to point in that direction. I have the new Vu + duo box and am using sat finder but i still cannot get any signal. Wondering whether to call someone in. lol

Not been that long putting it up and its already done my head in.

veron57
04-02-2010, 08:08 PM
The box needs to be switched on (and not in standby mode)... this is required for the sat finder by the way. (The receiver connects to the satfinder with coax, the satfinder connects to the LNB for example)

ssjenkins
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM
without a meter and compass

My advice , call someone in or you'll be there for the rest of 2010 .

Sammy

bobonthejob
04-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Lol.... its is looking like that...

veron57
04-02-2010, 08:31 PM
I think it's good advice.
Either get the correct equipment or get someone in. It is a good project if you can find the time and a good feeling when you get it working. I recommend watching a few video clips on installations to give you a better idea. Here is a good one:
_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_yhxmGlEA

Gone_Fishing
04-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Mate,

I have put the dish up...yup...set the dish angle to 22 degrees. I know im trying to be a hero without a meter and compass...that wont help me.

From dishpointer i have found the general direction of 0.8W and have moved the dish (and motor and all - motor set to 0) to point in that direction. I have the new Vu + duo box and am using sat finder but i still cannot get any signal. Wondering whether to call someone in. lol

Not been that long putting it up and its already done my head in.

Knowing the general direction isn't going to help you what you think is right is always wrong getting the correct direction with a compass isn't that easy either that's why you need a compass and meter

Small dish adjustments make a big difference due to how far the sats are which is why it has to be accurate, I bet my life your getting nothing because your missing the sats completely

TNT

bobonthejob
05-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Anyone recommend anyone in Leicester? What should i be expecting to pay to allign it up?

bobonthejob
07-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi all....update - managed to get someone in over the weekend. I was out by about 5cm and 1 degree on the disk elevation. So not to bad id say. Thanks for your help.

highway1
07-02-2010, 10:45 PM
as i said if u play u get there in the end ;-) . . how many hours as it long it took so far for ref ;-) .

bobonthejob
07-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Well the Satellite guy that came down to align up for me said that the pole i put up was plum...The alighnment was not far of at all...Doh i just just did not have the patience...

Thanks.