PDA

View Full Version : can some1 explain why they hate their AZBOX - im thinking of BUYING 1

ManikM
17-02-2010, 03:26 PM
ive seen a few people cussing their AZBOXes - whats wrong with them>

i'd be happy with a box that can do what its advertised to do, and receive and record 4:2:2 feeds....

and have been looking at buying one.

xanadu
17-02-2010, 03:45 PM
There is nothing much wrong with Azbox HD.

Some people just got mad because it doesn't work as promised as twin tuner, and Diablo CAM hardware modification needed on early models if you want to use some CAM such as Diablo.

You only have to read the forum to see what some people are moaning about.

ManikM
17-02-2010, 03:53 PM
lol some people are calling their boxes, pieces of trash, they can't be that bad.

im thining of buying the plus model, for the working blind scan.

a blind scanning 4:2:2 receiving machine, is HEAVEN!

billynw
17-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Think the only way you will make your mind up is to buy one or see one in action mate, Personally I did not find it easy to use.

I had one and spent hours (days) just trying to lock on sat's.
It drove me mental & did not find it easy at all to use.

I sold it got my self a dreambox 800 (orignal) had it all set up in a few hours & never used a dreambox before.

The only plus thing I can say about it, is that the suport on here for AZ boxes is amazing. Loads of helpfull guys in the AZ box section.

Also don't think you will be using it much for 4.2.2 feeds on it, cause soon you have it fully working (wink, wink) everything you can possible watch you will be able to pick up.

paulwilko
17-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Well, for what its worth, I would not buy this box if i had the money again.

You may want to take my comments with a pinch of salt as I am not a seasoned Satellite pro but, I hav ehad nothing but issues with mine

1. Wireless, simply will not work on mine
2. CCCam does not work without stutters continuously (And yes my broadband and network is good)
3. Multicas does not work much better than CCCam

I only use mine for watching TV and dont use it for streaming as I have a PS3 that does a much better job, so the streaming side of things i have no comment on
Re: Blindscan, I don;t have the Plus version so cant comment.

I think it is rubbish, it maybe how i have set it up, it may not be, but i do know that my previous box, the Eagle box worked perfectly, so i know a little about what and how to set up stuff but this box seems to be beyond me at the moment

Just my oppinion

Paul

leerock
17-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Well
i personally find this box GREAT for it s price...
If you want to just watch TV and media shares then its almost perfect...
I dont have any freezes with multicas as some report
even on sly..
Never had a single glitch...
Those that have probs must check the reliability of their server...
On player side it works fine with 720p and has great PQ.
I only wish they could make it deal well with 1080p and dts...

Youtube is not bad either...

Blindscan is a little complex for now....

I use this box for basic stuff and i m very satisfied....

If they could make menu response faster , remove openxcas so we could have faster zapping,
and remove those net/usb limits so we could have a smooth 1080p playback then it could be the greatest box for me...
No enigma2 needed coz imho it sucks compared to a fast and stable azbox fw..

ManikM
17-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Well
i personally find this box GREAT for it s price...
If you want to just watch TV and media shares then its almost perfect...
I dont have any freezes with multicas as some report
even on sly..
Never had a single glitch...
Those that have probs must check the reliability of their server...
On player side it works fine with 720p and has great PQ.
I only wish they could make it deal well with 1080p and dts...

Youtube is not bad either...

Blindscan is a little complex for now....

I use this box for basic stuff and i m very satisfied....

If they could make menu response faster , remove openxcas so we could have faster zapping,
and remove those net/usb limits so we could have a smooth 1080p playback then it could be the greatest box for me...
No enigma2 needed coz imho it sucks compared to a fast and stable azbox fw..

great to hear!!

ian51
17-02-2010, 05:15 PM
I will stick with it because it does some things the others can't do (at the same price). I need a box that can output HDMI to a NTSC tv and RF to a PAL tv at the same time and this it can do.
I'm really p*ssed off that it can't do one of the main things I bought it for, which is to watch one channel and record another. I'm sure a lot of the problems will eventually be solved but I don't think they will ever fix that one.
If I had known 7 months ago what I know now I probably would not have bought it, but they warned us all that the firmware was beta, so there is no point in crying over a bad decision.

happyhammer
17-02-2010, 05:48 PM

did you try the NFS share for 1080p playback?

digihoe
17-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I think it's an OK box...

Without USB/LAN limit I think this box would be great!

As for the tuner, I would be happy to pay 80euro and be able to change the tuner in the premium for one with blindscan feature. As I don't really need twin support... The only twin mode that I would like would be mixed DVB-S/S2/C/T...

I have a premium and it works OK, not fantastic, but OK for what I use it for...

ManikM
17-02-2010, 05:49 PM
is there really a limit on USB\LAN, i find that hard to beleive....

teenie
17-02-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm more than happy with this box too

I think too many people expect a Ferrari for second hand Metro money & just aint going to happen http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

There's also a few people on here that just like a F***in good moan IMO http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/;.gif

rfdomingos
17-02-2010, 06:41 PM
ive seen a few people cussing their AZBOXes - whats wrong with them>

i'd be happy with a box that can do what its advertised to do, and receive and record 4:2:2 feeds....

and have been looking at buying one.

anyone selling!?

I have a Azbox Elite. Coming from a Dreambox 500s, The two options on the table were the Dm800 or the AZ Elite. All things considered I decided for the azbox and I'm happy with it.

The price is great, the build quality is pretty good, has hdmi, 2 usbs, the Disk on Module can be upgraded for a bigger and faster one, it's as easy to use as any other linux box, and has good media player capabilities.

On the bad side, the elite model doesn't support twin tuner, there are some bugs to be ironed, and it's not fully open source (yet or forever, who knows...)

So my advice is: if you need twin tuner, pick the plus model or another box, otherwise, take advantage of one of those who is unhappy with his box and buy one used!

leerock
17-02-2010, 06:54 PM
did you try the NFS share for 1080p playback?

yes tried that....
i still have problems with 1080p...
not like before but i ve never seen a 1080p moviw with smooth playback from the start to the end...

P.S.

I think most people in here are not angry with the box specifically
but with opensat s support....
many bugs not sorted out for a long time...
so instead of bashing opensat
they are bashing the box...

kebien
17-02-2010, 07:08 PM
I like the box,actually,it has its little things,but all boxes has them too.
Is enough for me as a media center,play most everything,and over network (which avoids to have a hard drive connected),and would really like network recording too ,but I know is a dream.
As a satellite receiver,it does what I need it for ( 4:2:2 SD and HD plus the rest)
I'm not disappointed.

Carp95
17-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Ok I have all 3 models ( yeah got lucky on some lottery)
The fact is I wouldn't trade them in for anything else

Twintuner is working ( only on Premium Plus )and blindscan so that one resides in the living-room, normal premium in bedroom (with extra dvb-t tuner) and the elite I just use for fun and testing.

Multicas is stable and fast enough in my opinion.

I will post a priocaid.cfg and ignore.list tonight for all you UK guys, can't believe you have so much troubles regarding Multicas

albaki77
17-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I agree with the first post.purchased my Premium for Saturday afternoon football & 422 feeds and have a cable tuner in also.works exellent with my C.S. Multicas & mgcamd no freezes or crashes.
wife & kids like the youtube,seen loads of HD footy,films etc.
The only thing for me that lets it down is the record 1 channel while watching the other(but i do not use it for that as i have SKY+HD).
i found the daily firmware update quite intresting to see the little changes being made it was like being a beta tester.
can see the problems that are there but i dont watch movies over LAN or stream to PC.
if i went back in time 1 year i would by the AZBOX all over again without a second thought.:respect-039::hurray::sifone::D

happyhammer
17-02-2010, 10:00 PM
...play most everything,and over network (which avoids to have a hard drive connected),and would really like network recording too ,but I know is a dream.

i bought an elite box on the expectation that i would be able to record to a network drive. It don't really work but its not a dream either. Putting a small usb stick in one of the usb slots and then doing a symbolic link to a network drive means recordings would go to the network drive. however, it may work ok for a bit with FTA, it may not work with encrypted or HD channels and from what i can see, the box only sees the capacity of the small usb stick that it can record too, even if its symbolically linked to a 200gb hard drive. ie use MAZ to see capacity, it will only show small usb capacity.

denton
17-02-2010, 10:27 PM
On the bad side, the elite model doesn't support twin tuner

I believe you are wrong on this point.

Denton

PieFacE
17-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Okay,

So I sold my DM800, bought an Azbox, and now upgraded my Azbox to a VU+ Duo.

So I will give my opinion to you as open-minded as possible

DM800... well, overheated, took ages to boot, had plenty of tuner issues, no media support. Those were the reasons i changed to Azbox. Once i recieved my Azbox i was fairly excited, only to find the software was no where complete, nothing that i wanted to work would work. It is a little better now though, MultiCAS is better, but it's still so slow for changing channels, and occasionly hangs. Media side of things is very limited unless you have the desire to mess around with NFS. No EPG which really sucked. GUI side of things is okay really... but i just got fed up of all the rebooting and issues everytime I "upgraded" my image.

Now moved over to the VU, and it is definitely the best out the lot. Fast zapping, fast booting, no crashing, great software, full EPG. Only downside is it's media capabilities, although you can put any format on a HDD and it will play from that, just not over network.

If i could go back and start again and pick one box, it would be the VU. Azbox is okay, dreambox is okay, both have their pro's and cons, but the VU kinda meets them both inbetween and runs the best, IMO.

ManikM
17-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Okay,

So I sold my DM800, bought an Azbox, and now upgraded my Azbox to a VU+ Duo.

So I will give my opinion to you as open-minded as possible

DM800... well, overheated, took ages to boot, had plenty of tuner issues, no media support. Those were the reasons i changed to Azbox. Once i recieved my Azbox i was fairly excited, only to find the software was no where complete, nothing that i wanted to work would work. It is a little better now though, MultiCAS is better, but it's still so slow for changing channels, and occasionly hangs. Media side of things is very limited unless you have the desire to mess around with NFS. No EPG which really sucked. GUI side of things is okay really... but i just got fed up of all the rebooting and issues everytime I "upgraded" my image.

Now moved over to the VU, and it is definitely the best out the lot. Fast zapping, fast booting, no crashing, great software, full EPG. Only downside is it's media capabilities, although you can put any format on a HDD and it will play from that, just not over network.

If i could go back and start again and pick one box, it would be the VU. Azbox is okay, dreambox is okay, both have their pro's and cons, but the VU kinda meets them both inbetween and runs the best, IMO.

no 4:2:2 - why arent people including this as standard thesedays....??

ARGH!!!

happyhammer
17-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I believe you are wrong on this point.

Denton

actually he is right, but lets not go over all this again. Bottom line was a lot of us bought the box with the twintuner feature advertised, CEO said it was coming, software etc. everyone knows twintuner means watch one record another, PIP etc. Openshat screwed us and then changed the description to Combo and brought out new model, premium plus.

Carp95
17-02-2010, 11:18 PM
actually he is right, but lets not go over all this again. Bottom line was a lot of us bought the box with the twintuner feature advertised, CEO said it was coming, software etc. everyone knows twintuner means watch one record another, PIP etc. Openshat screwed us and then changed the description to Combo and brought out new model, premium plus.

Well indeed that discussion isn't neccesary again, we all know how it stands now.

on topic again:

VU+ indeed no 4.2.2 possible and it has fixed tuners so only 2x dvb-s2
costs same as Premium plus

So if you def. want 4.2.2 feeds and blindscan there's only 1 option:

Azbox Premium Plus

ManikM
18-02-2010, 01:13 AM
yeah thats what im looking at.

£400 tho....ouch!!!

Carp95
18-02-2010, 07:59 AM
£400 tho....ouch!!!

400?? what are you trying to buy

Azbox Premium Plus - two dvb-s2 tuner - 399 euro so in pounds, eeuuhh aahhh found it:

399 Euros = 346.73 British Pounds Sterling

Tiptronic
18-02-2010, 02:02 PM
some people are just ungrateful, thats why.

ManikM
18-02-2010, 03:19 PM
some people are just ungrateful, thats why.

lol!

Friendly-Face
18-02-2010, 03:39 PM
i have both Premium and Elite here, and i can say with no fear at all that Azbox Elite or Premium is a very good machine for the amount of money you spend on it. if you can live with usb and internet limits then do not hezitate and buy it.

I see some ppl here gudge the box as bad becouse it is not CCcam friendly, get over it guys , no box on the marked is sold with that ROYALTY exept Dreambox
and if you are a bitt on the edge you can make CCcam work on this box being it via Multicas, or vi Mgcamd or run CCcam is self on the box , has been explained many times here before.

Yes im happy with the boxes i got, and belive me i hav etry others to exept Vo duo+, and for the price and what the box can do im happy with it.

stevie1961
18-02-2010, 07:01 PM
Best way to sort this out is with a poll, but I bet you it will show 98% unhappy 2% happy. There are too many retailers on here saying how good the box is, to keep their sales up.

Cant any of you remember how the box was sold, had mine a year and would love to have it as advertised.

1)Twin tuner, I wont go over that one again.
2)HD Media player, Ok if only watching avi's, as with dm500, but mkv still doesnt work.
3)DTS nogo, but getting better
4)Dissapearing channels.
5)No channel editor that works.
6)Channel change times are getting better but still not <1 sec.
7)Network limitations
8)Useless internet browser.
9)No Email
Worse fault of all is the total disregard paid to us the purchasers, No info, Remember the promeses that software would be available daily, 5 feb last one, not what you would call weekly, yet alone daily.

Again, I'm 100% behind the Azbox and want it to work, but Openshat has stuffed us in the past and continue to do it. Its my belief that the network limitations is down to hardware and not software, each new software release speeds up one part and slows another down, In newest version the remote is dreadfully slow.

If I was a new purchaser of sat equipment, go for a box that has some support from the manufacturer.

Happy Day's

P.S. I forgot one important one, You cant record a HD channel on the Elite with usb hard drive

sattommy
18-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Best way to sort this out is with a poll, but I bet you it will show 98% unhappy 2% happy. There are too many retailers on here saying how good the box is, to keep their sales up.

Cant any of you remember how the box was sold, had mine a year and would love to have it as advertised.

1)Twin tuner, I wont go over that one again.
2)HD Media player, Ok if only watching avi's, as with dm500, but mkv still doesnt work.
3)DTS nogo, but getting better
4)Dissapearing channels.
5)No channel editor that works.
6)Channel change times are getting better but still not <1 sec.
7)Network limitations
8)Useless internet browser.
9)No Email
Worse fault of all is the total disregard paid to us the purchasers, No info, Remember the promeses that software would be available daily, 5 feb last one, not what you would call weekly, yet alone daily.

Again, I'm 100% behind the Azbox and want it to work, but Openshat has stuffed us in the past and continue to do it. Its my belief that the network limitations is down to hardware and not software, each new software release speeds up one part and slows another down, In newest version the remote is dreadfully slow.

If I was a new purchaser of sat equipment, go for a box that has some support from the manufacturer.

Happy Day's

P.S. I forgot one important one, You cant record a HD channel on the Elite with usb hard drive

not as bad as you picture it:

1)Twin tuner, I wont go over that one again. -->100% right
2)HD Media player, Ok if only watching avi's, as with dm500, but mkv still doesnt work. --> Works like a charm for me. haven't found a mkv that doesn't play
3)DTS nogo, but getting better --> since last firmware zero problems encountered
4)Dissapearing channels. -> only had this once or twice, easily solved with a startup script preventing this
5)No channel editor that works. -> Maz seems to do a perfect job for me
6)Channel change times are getting better but still not <1 sec. 100% right
7)Network limitations --> NFS lets me play 1080P + DTS, and record HD channels
8)Useless internet browser. --> 100% right, but what did you expect
9)No Email --> 100% right

First of all I am not a reseller. But i have 2 elites and execpt for the zapping times (which should really still be improved) the boxes run perfectly fine

ManikM
18-02-2010, 08:20 PM
is it true about not being able to record a HD channel onto a USB disk!?

is that the Elite only, or Premium.

stevie1961
18-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I cannot record a HD channel, tried on bbc HD which has the lowest bitrate of all HD channels. It locks the box up and a reboot is required.

@ sattommey, you must have a different elite than me, cant agree with your comments at all, I have a 500gb Hd connected, mkv files will not play, Have many I wish to play, but break up. sound drop outs.

Like I said, lets have a poll and let the comminity decide.

ManikM
18-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I cannot record a HD channel, tried on bbc HD which has the lowest bitrate of all HD channels. It locks the box up and a reboot is required.

Taffy, that cant be right mate

stevie1961
18-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry but true,
I tried to record the 6 nations games for prosperity, watched the games in a pub, came home to watch the games properly, but zilch recorded on the box.

I do not want to flame this box but I would expect it to do the basics at least. My 6 yr old dvd recorder managed to record iit, but in SD

Dreamlife
18-02-2010, 11:31 PM
I haven't used my Azbox Premium in months and would like to start using it so I have a question.

Is it possible to use the box on it's own as a server, like with a viewing card in it? The problem i'm having is that I find I have to use my TM9100 aswell as the Azbox and it's a bit of a pain because it gets confusing. Does anyone else on here use their Azbox on it's own with cccam or multicas?

stevie1961
18-02-2010, 11:35 PM
multicas is a pain to use for cable, mgcand works well for cable where you can record in sd but not hd.
for sly it is hit and miss, I have no complaains about nagravision on cable

paul01609
18-02-2010, 11:39 PM
get a dreambox m8 had a azbox ok if you like waiting long time for updates then they give you a fan speed update

rover
18-02-2010, 11:41 PM
hi manik m, i would have a good look at some of the posts before you wast your money, yes it is cheap but cheap is not the best regards

ManikM
19-02-2010, 12:09 AM
hi manik m, i would have a good look at some of the posts before you wast your money, yes it is cheap but cheap is not the best regards

LOL mate, i have been for 2 weeks, i think ive generated most AZBOX traffic on here in a long time...LOL!

paul01609
19-02-2010, 12:31 AM
generated more than the azbox team ever will

kebien
19-02-2010, 12:40 AM
I guess someone is having problems with MKV's,but for me they play flawless.(they are NOT 1080p,BTW)

Hadziano
19-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Technomate is the best! :D Nice and simple! no complications..best ever receiver..
yes,maybe im exagerrating..but i've seen so many receivers in the past..TM has best layout possible.
peace out ;)

ManikM
19-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Technomate is the best! :D Nice and simple! no complications..best ever receiver..
yes,maybe im exagerrating..but i've seen so many receivers in the past..TM has best layout possible.
peace out ;)

does it blind scan, and receive 4:2:2 ?

:smash:

Carp95
19-02-2010, 04:13 PM
If 4:2:2 is a must have there's only Azbox

ManikM
21-02-2010, 11:00 PM
the fact it gets 4:2:2 really makes it easy for me to choose, i think im gonna get a premium PLUS tomorrow.

tx0
21-02-2010, 11:05 PM
never used it to watch 4:2:2; where can I found it?

ManikM
21-02-2010, 11:10 PM
never used it to watch 4:2:2; where can I found it?

feeds here:

_http://www.satelliweb.com/index.php?section=livef

GalwaySat
22-02-2010, 01:00 AM
the fact it gets 4:2:2 really makes it easy for me to choose, i think im gonna get a premium PLUS tomorrow.

Maybe you should wait for the Premium Plus E2 version to be announced.:D

AJR
22-02-2010, 01:10 AM
I wish you the very best of luck ManikM

If all you ever do is 4:2:2 then your in with 1/2 a chance of happiness

gouderadrian
22-02-2010, 10:59 AM
These are what really fumbled me:

+ As explained by one of the bloggers below yes, I did expect the Twin Tuner to offer viewing one station and recording another. In my books that's a broken promise. The new AZBoxes are supposed to do this, but then they cannot stream to other TVs I beleive. Please check.

+ Recording sometimes hangs, i.e., For some strange reason the box stops recording or stop altogether.

+ The upload limit is a great nusence (3Mb on a wired connection).

+ Recording two programs back to back often hangs the box and fails on the last program.

+ Sometimes it seems to crash for no-reason.

mushroom
22-02-2010, 11:20 AM
something i did not understand.i have no idea about feeds so forgive my ignorance
i see this list with live feeds.how long are these feeds transmitted?do i have to watch all time this list and enter manual the frequency on azbox so i can watch them?