PDA

View Full Version : Signal strength tester??

captainglassback
19-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I possess a Digisat Pro meter. I only use it to find 28E in the UK for friends with NON sly dishes. I do struggle with it though. Is it a toy or should I persevere with it as I am only looking at the one strong signal? (I move the dishes verically then horizontally then twist the lnb. Is that a sensible procedure?).

Dark Cloud
19-02-2010, 09:57 PM
I have had the same meter for a long time. I find it fine for installs, the only problem is it doesn't let you know WHICH satellite you are on !.
You can get round that by using the "attenuator" in the menu, with 28, 19, 13 east being the stongest signal.
I have installed 3 motorised and four fixed dished for friends and neighbours.
Get into the menu,.... you can even put it "inline at your receiver" just to play with it and learn without going up a ladder.

skilcom
20-02-2010, 08:07 PM
First strike meter is a very good alternative which does tell you which satellite you are on, found it on google for under £270

Dark Cloud
21-02-2010, 09:50 AM
£270 !!!. The digisat pro is for idiots like me £45.
I'd need to get a van with anything more expensive.

dave3dg
21-02-2010, 10:32 AM
Yes, you would need to go out 'touting' for work at that price .

I have the Digisat pro and it is well OK eventhough I also have a cheepo L**l one from about 3years ago which does the job just as well. I have never ever had a problem finding 1w it's just a case of knowing where the sat is.

The Digisat pro is an excellent satfinder with lots of bells n' whistles.

captainglassback
24-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Thanks all I'll persevere with Digisat Pro for my limited use then. I'll try the 'practice' suggestion and attenuator mode too.

xara
25-02-2010, 10:19 PM
7" Colour LCD Digital Satellite Finder Signal Meter £84 off **** .Has anyone used one of these

AJR
27-02-2010, 12:00 AM
LCD Digital Satellite Finder Signal Meter £84

Hmmmm....

I wouldn't even think of using one...

1. it's not waterproof and the odds are when doing an install it will rain.
2. there's no loop / strap to either attach to the ladder or over you head (which is kinda important unless you have three hands, unless your working on a flat roof)

So for flat roof or ground level work in the dry .. maybe

Good value sat meter that does tell you what sat your pointing at, is the Lacuna / Wolsey mk4 (but its the best part of £250)